What's new

The most sad roller coaster demolitions

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
Alot of classics of gone over the years like BBW and dragon challenge but for me old woodies always make sad seeing them disapper as it always brings me back to cyclone being demolished
this video brings me to tears! but also more woodies like the one in Williams grove in usa but at least the more modern ones (90s) are getting RMC treatment! Whats the most rollercoaster demolishment which was close to your heart?

Peet

Giga Poster
Yeah I was gutted when the Cyclone was torn down. It was very well documented so every day I would go online to see what part of the ride had been demolished that day. There were some good eerie photos like this one:
Demolition 17.JPG

Obviously the demolition of the Wild Mouse was terrible but was I haven't seen any pictures or videos so it doesn't really belong in this topic. That was probably for the best - like ripping off a plaster, just finding out one day it was gone was probably easier than daily demolition updates!

Here's a picture from the very sad demolition of the Runaway Coaster at Folkestone. This was a 1920s Figure Eight coaster and was the second to last ride of its type in the World (now there is only Leap the Dips).
Runaway Demolition.jpg

I never went to Geauga Lake park but I was sad to see the recent demolition of its Big Dipper built in 1925.
Geagua lake park big dipper demo.jpg

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
Yeah I was gutted when the Cyclone was torn down. It was very well documented so every day I would go online to see what part of the ride had been demolished that day. There were some good eerie photos like this one:
View attachment 3652

Obviously the demolition of the Wild Mouse was terrible but was I haven't seen any pictures or videos so it doesn't really belong in this topic. That was probably for the best - like ripping off a plaster, just finding out one day it was gone was probably easier than daily demolition updates!

Here's a picture from the very sad demolition of the Runaway Coaster at Folkestone. This was a 1920s Figure Eight coaster and was the second to last ride of its type in the World (now there is only Leap the Dips).
View attachment 3654

I never went to Geauga Lake park but I was sad to see the recent demolition of its Big Dipper built in 1925.
View attachment 3653
never heard of runaway coaster when was that?

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Seeing a classic wooden coaster demolished always seems sad in a way of "Awww, what?"

It's like when you find out an iconic movie prop was just thrown in a skip after filming.

Peet

Giga Poster
never heard of runaway coaster when was that?
It was torn down back in 2007.

It was a huge shame as it was a transportable coaster. It almost got saved by the Save Dreamland Campaign, Nick Laister quote below:
The Save Dreamland Campaign has worked tirelessly over the last few days to save the Runaway Coaster, being the only side friction figure eight coaster left in the UK and one of only two in the world. We believed it to be an important part of amusement park heritage.
The ride was earmarked for demolition first thing on Monday but we contacted the developers of the former Rotunda Park and told them that we wanted to move the ride off the site and store it. The developers agreed to give us 48 hours to confirm in writing that this would be done within six weeks. An engineer visited the site on Tuesday and carefully inspected the ride, which was found to be in remarkably good condition, although some wood replacement would have been necessary. A quote was obtained from an established ride transport company for dismantling the ride and moving it to storage.

We were fortunate to secure financial backing for this and our supporter wrote, on our behalf, to the developer confirming that the work would be done within the required period. Despite confirming receipt of the letter, demolition proceeded today regardless with no explanation. This is disappointing as there are no more traditional side friction coasters left in the UK.

Peet

Giga Poster
Wait.. when did THIS happen??!?! How did I miss this? That ride was legendary. Loved it. I mean.. I knew it would eventually happen but still. Sad days indeed.
October 2016. There was an unsucessful attempt to buy and relocate it but it was always going to be difficult.

IMO we are extremely lucky that the Margate Scenic Railway isn't featuring in this topic as the vast majority of attempts to save coasters fail.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster

It was a huge shame as it was a transportable coaster. It almost got saved by the Save Dreamland Campaign, Nick Laister quote below:
That letter is heart-breaking. In so many cases, someone can make or save money and that’s all they care about. The public good of the coaster is a complete non-entity to such people.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
The Airplane Coaster at Rye Playland was by many accounts the greatest all-around roller coaster ever built. It ran for several decades, but when a new insurance company told the park that required renovations would run $100,000, whereas demolition would only cost $10,000, the park made a purely financial decision and the world lost a treasure.

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
Eagle Fortress

Supposedly, especially those that had been on it, by FAR the best Arrow Swinger.. and just a great ride in general.. was closed. I'm

Everland said UNDER maintenance and they SCRAPPED it. EVEN THEY MADE GARDEN IN THE PLACE OF EAGLE FORTRESS

I've ridden it once and thought it's the best Arrow suspended. Now, if I ride other Arrow Swinger, I always say it is tame, and more boring than Eagle Fortress and Big Bad Wolf.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Everland said UNDER maintenance and they SCRAPPED it. EVEN THEY MADE GARDEN IN THE PLACE OF EAGLE FORTRESS

I've ridden it once and thought it's the best Arrow suspended. Now, if I ride other Arrow Swinger, I always say it is tame, and more boring than Eagle Fortress and Big Bad Wolf.
Best Arrow suspended coaster? I know a number of people who say it was in the top ten coasters of all time.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
The Airplane Coaster at Rye Playland was by many accounts the greatest all-around roller coaster ever built. It ran for several decades, but when a new insurance company told the park that required renovations would run $100,000, whereas demolition would only cost $10,000, the park made a purely financial decision and the world lost a treasure.

a bit to old for a pov! saying that the big dipper had a very old one

TilenB

Strata Poster

To be honest, Save Dreamland Campaign have been offered or even acquired a lot of other classic rides, yet (apart from the Scenic Railway) have left almost all of them to rot in storage somewhere and went with a more managable alternative of buying brand new rides for the park. I assume the Runaway Coaster would never run in Dreamland, even if they would end up 'saving it'.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
To be honest, Save Dreamland Campaign have been offered or even acquired a lot of other classic rides, yet (apart from the Scenic Railway) have left almost all of them to rot in storage somewhere and went with a more managable alternative of buying brand new rides for the park. I assume the Runaway Coaster would never run in Dreamland, even if they would end up 'saving it'.
yea cough cough "king sollom's mine cough cough if i won the lottery i would to restore that ride shame they didnt bother