What's new

The moon landings

Did man walk on the moon?

• Of course.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a brain, therefore, I'm saying "no".

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Giga Poster
I just watched this weekend's QI on the iPlayer and they revealed quite a depressing (as David Mitchell rightly stated) statistic that 25% of the British population don't believe that man went to the moon.

In this completely unbiased poll (!), I'd like to ask what you think? Did man walk on the moon?

If you've answered no, please explain why.

I think this poll may have already happened, but I can't find it, and it might have been on another forum.

davidm

Strata Poster
Of course it was faked!

Evidence*;

30234755.jpg

You'll be telling me the Earth isn't flat next?

(* from the renowned documentary Capricorn One.)

Edit : a quick Google tends to imply that only 6% (or 20% if you follow the Fox TV story (so that'd be 6% then)) of Americans think it was faked.

This appears to be the research QI was referencing though;

http://kn.theiet.org/news/jul09/moon-landing-survey.cfm

Jer

Strata Poster
You know, I'm on the fence about this one, there is plenty of evidence to back up both sides really. When people say it's staged they have amazing evidence and it all seems believe able, BUT when I used to watched mythbusters they did a episode testing all the conspiracy theory's and all of them could hold true if they actually landed on the moon. So I dont know, I dont have an opinion either way.

marc

CF Legend
The only problem with the moon landing are that no one could see them from the earth via a telescope and they should have been able to.

I do want to believe they went there but part of me does not think they did either.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Isn't that the point about 'conspiracy' theories though. They ARE plausible, just often wrong.

Of course we landed on the moon. If you don't believe we did then I think you're a bit stupid really. Am I the only one who WANTS man to have landed on the moon? I think it is one of (if not the most) important milestone in humanities history.

AS17-134-20384.jpg

I want us to have done it. It's so fantastic, awe-inspiring and incredible.

EDIT: Spotted this from Marc:
marc said:
The only problem with the moon landing are that no one could see them from the earth via a telescope and they should have been able to.

I do want to believe they went there but part of me does not think they did either.
Link. This did confuse me the first time, then I realised/understood why not. Yet anther theory gone...

Dave

CF Legend
Worst theory I hear is the flag one, why is moving in a vaccum? Well momentum still happens, otherwise people could not move.

Snoo

The Legend
^There you go.

There is a website which I cannot find at all which debunks EVERY moon landing thing people try to say.. and not just with words.. but with examples and physical proof.

The Moon Landings happened.. without a shadow of a doubt.. and anyone who thinks the opposite needs to educate themselves.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
UC said:
Because many people don't have anything else to do with their lives and love creating conspiracy in order to give themselves attention.

This was not faked, and 9/11 was not an inside job.

We saw the ships take off and land, what is this a freakin magic trick? Of course the moon landings happened.

Now about 9/11, I do not think it was an Inside Job, but I certainly believe terrorists planted bombs in the buildings... that collapse was too engineered to have been just from a plane. but that's for a different thread on a different day.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Apparently 9/11 was planned by Princess Diana in her moon base!

As others have said, I want to believe they happened and tbh, I've not heard anything 100% utterly convincing to say that it didn't.

Error

Strata Poster
Conspiracy theories are just that: theories. They're usually not very well supported or can be proved as fact. As Jer mentioned above, the Mythbusters did a special to debunk some of the well known ones. They didn't prove anything remotely true, but did give the theorists credit for thinking about it.

And of course, 9/11 was an inside job, all Muslims are terrorists, Obama is going to kill us all, and Glenn Beck is Jesus. [/sarcasum]

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
dropthefloor93 said:
Now about 9/11, I do not think it was an Inside Job, but I certainly believe terrorists planted bombs in the buildings... that collapse was too engineered to have been just from a plane. but that's for a different thread on a different day.
If you think about the motions of it, the plane came in and basically sliced the floor(s) almost clean out. Then the section of building above the impact slumps down, vertically, causing the rest of the building to start to fall. Straight down. It looks like an 'engineered' collapse, but there are easily other ways of looking at it.

The Pentagon plane and the one in the field are a bit more confusing though.

[/hijackingthisthread]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
What was it? 400,000 people involved in the moon landings. That's a lot of people even for the US government to keep quiet.

Occam's razor easily comes into play here. The harder something is to justify compared to the "facts", then that something is incredibly unlikely.

It would have cost more, and taken more effort to fake the landings and cover it up, than it would to put a man on the moon. Ergo, the moon landings had to happen :)

Plus, I hate "conspiracy experts". You will find every conspiracy theory has one or two "experts" who can prove the conspiracy. These experts are always able to disprove "real experts", because the real experts are "under government pay". If 200,000 experts disprove the two "conspiracy experts", it's because all 200,000 are under government pay; not because they're actually better qualified experts in those fields than the "conspiracy experts". :roll:

Karen

Hyper Poster
OK back to the moonlandings.

I agree that it's not 100% convincing anymore. Main fact is, why haven't they done it again for sooooo long?!?

As for all these theories about both of these events, some are very interesting, but how much is true and how much fake?

But how does metal turn into so much dust?

The web can be great for looking things up but how much information can be correct?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Karen said:
OK back to the moonlandings.

I agree that it's not 100% convincing anymore. Main fact is, why haven't they done it again for sooooo long?!?

The fact it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to do each time and we've learned everything we need to know from the moon for the time being?

The results learned from the lessons taught by going to the moon are all around us every day. The international space station, shuttle trips, "space holidays", etc, etc, etc are all founded on the same thing.

The most difficult part of the moon landings is getting people into space and back safely. We know that happens year in, year out. The extra step to the Moon really isn't a massive leap.

Did the Mars Rover land on Mars? If we can get a remote control vehicle to a more remote world (based on the experience of the moon landing), then it stands to reason we must have landed on the moon first. We've got space vehicles now outside the official edge of the solar system, launched at a similar time. The technology was there, the money was spent and 400,000 people were involved in making it happen.

To hide it would be impossible, much harder work than to actually go to the moon.

Stephen Fry put the clincher on it. The Russians admitted defeat and have never once said it could have been faked. If America's biggest enemy at the time say it happened (when they were competing for the exact same thing), then it happened.

Karen

Hyper Poster
SO instead of studying it with more high tech gadgets they try and blow it up to find water and fail!

The moon controls the tides, yet we try blowing (a small part of) it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.