What's new

The Maccy D's Thread.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
As a fan of the original, I gave the Grand Big Mac a go yesterday and have to say I found it a bit too much - too much bread, too much sauce, too much lettuce. It's not bad, but I think the regular Big Mac is just the right portion size.

Wow, I never realised McD's have a vegetarian menu, last I heard even the chips weren't vegetarian!
At UK McDonalds the chips have always been vegetarian - it's the US where they were not.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Yeah UK food industry is stricter than the United States,

I didn't realise our Fanta was the wrong colour until I visited Florida, apparently the colouring is banned in the UK

Luckily I've never been stuck with nothing to eat yet - even at a chip shop I order chips and beans:)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Eurgh it's literally the worst. I've gone full vegan now and was transitioning during my big US road trip last year. Two weeks of continuous food searching is not fun. London has spoiled me.

Six Flags actually have some veggie stuff in their own chain (I want to say Fresh and Go?) but lots of US parks have nothing :(

lachlan

Mega Poster
Eurgh it's literally the worst. I've gone full vegan now and was transitioning during my big US road trip last year. Two weeks of continuous food searching is not fun. London has spoiled me.

Six Flags actually have some veggie stuff in their own chain (I want to say Fresh and Go?) but lots of US parks have nothing :(
Good job going vegan! I went vegetarian two years ago but I tell myself I'm not going vegan until most restaurants/fast food shops have something.

I'm sure McDonalds never had a veggie burger before. We're making progress!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
These giant Big Mac's must be selling well though - swung in earlier to check one out and they'd sold out already. They've only been out 2 days. :(
#firstworldproblems

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Yeah UK food industry is stricter than the United States,

I didn't realise our Fanta was the wrong colour until I visited Florida, apparently the colouring is banned in the UK
To be fair, Fanta's original recipe (invented in Nazi Germany) was basically "whatever you can get your hands on" - it's not quite as standard as Coca-Cola

Luckily I've never been stuck with nothing to eat yet - even at a chip shop I order chips and beans:)
Still hard work though. Most Yorkshire chippies are off limits, and many of the rest cook their chips with the sausages.

Gazza

Giga Poster
We don't have the Grand Big Mac here, but we do have the Chicken Big Mac and Big Mac shaker fries seasoning.

I thought the two chicken patties was a bit much on the burger but the fries were good..... sort of a cheesy gherkin taste

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Ah GoFresh! Thanks @GuyWithAStick. Unfortunately, half the parks agree with you and there always seem to be huge queues.

@Robbie I always thought Harry Ramsdens et al. were gross even before going veggie. I still eat normal (southern) chip shop chips even though they are cooked with the fish. I don't really care if something touches something else, it's the principal of the thing I'm interested in. I miss chip shop garlic butter mushrooms though.

@lachlan it's getting much easier now. Loads of big chains have vegan options (Pizza Hut, Pizza Express, GBK, Nandos, Wahaca, Bills, Marstens... to name a few in the UK). Plus all the supermarkets do fake cheese and milk now. Much easier than even a couple of years ago. And Maccy Ds have had a veggie burger here for years now.

Will

Strata Poster
People keep bumping this thread - I'm clearly going to end up having a McDonalds this weekend (which I don't think I have since the last time I was in London)

EDIT: I forgot about the 20 nugget box that may have saved my life on Boxing Day

Last edited:

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
A post popped up on my facebook newsfeed yesterday that announced a new Chicken Nugget/Mozzarella Stick share box (like the 20 nugget box), and I got so excited I googled Mcdonalds to look at the menu to see if it was real (It was not fyi).

Do I need to re-evaluate the things I get excited about?? :emoji_face_palm:

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Tried the Grand Mac last night. Really tasty but as there's five layers they all slide around independant to each other and it makes a mess. With the normal size you can just about finish it before it gets out of hand but with the large size I finished the top half with about a third of the bottom half still intact!

Also I'm not sure how I feel about the special beef burger slot being taken up by something that's essentially already on the main menu. Feels a bit cheeky to me.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I've had two Grand Big Macs and I have to say I like the bigger size :D

Also, Mozzarella Dippers are back which is always good tbh :)

Dar

Hyper Poster
I tried to get a grand big mac earlier, but without lettuce (salmonella waiting to happen!), and just got 3 plain pattys in 3 bits of bread :p I can only assume they were tuckered out after serving the other customer in the shop