The Intimidator. B&M Hyper 2010 - Carowinds

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
As I rank the ones I've ridden:

Behemoth
Intimidator
Goliath (slightly behind)
Apollo's Chariot

I'm part way through the writeup now, although I'm done for tonight since it was an early morning heading up there. Will get back to work on that tomorrow.

Until then, here's a shot we took today leaning out of the skytower. No matter your feelings on the ride quality, it really is a nice looking coaster.

232.jpg

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Nice POV thrillscentral. This baby reminds me of Behemoth more than any other B&M floater. Too bad they had to have those last two supports before the final brake run. It would have been nice to get one last great bit of floater air time to finish the ride off. Kind of strange the way they have the service road going under them. :?
timmy.jpg

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
^ It is strange, although that was existing. You'd think it wouldn't be hard to work around that, but it looks to me like they pulled the station/brakes complex out of Behemoth and dropped it here. So I don't really know-- that is an odd issue they have there. There's still a little but of airtime, though.

A

Anonymous

Today seemed to be the trains were moving faster. The first trim wasn't hitting at all. It was freezing today.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ You're telling me. I was at Dollywood today, who opened their park today just a bit below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. It's an intriguing sensation being told that the coaster need to wait until the temperature break zero degrees Celsius to operate. :razz:

Anyways, anyone else able to ride Intimidator today?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Not yet. Next weekend & then I'll be able to weigh in.
As far as the cold, we had to wait about 40 minutes for El Toro to get warmed up enough to let us ride & they would only let the trains depart the station if every seat was taken. We were on the first train out of the station & it was one of, if not the, slowest train I've ever ridden (still fun though).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ While we waited for the temperatures to rise we did DWood's new Adventure Mountain attraction. It was fun, except for the whole fact that we were dealing with freezing climbing ropes with our bare hands.

One heated topic for this coaster seems to be the final theming product for the coaster.

From what I have seen in pictures and reviews of opening day, I would give an overall yay to the theming. You can agree or disagree with the theme selection (honestly, NASCAR?), but at least it seems that Carowinds pulled it off.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
As far as theming goes for Cedar Fair, it wasn't bad. The entrance area is a victory circle type space with a checkerboard pattern floor and Earnhardt's #3 car opposite the entrance. The gift shop is called victory lane, of course, and the photo place is called Photo Finish. All around you have the usual checkered flag patterns. Heading underneath the coaster in the queue line, there's 2 concrete walls which look like the tunnels heading into NASCAR tracks. I thought that was a pretty nice touch. The train itself looks pretty cool, with the usual tons of sponsor decals on the front of the car. As a train exits the station, the audio track has a 'gentlemen start your engines' and a revving car engine. Overall, the theming is minimal, but tastefully done and about to the level you might expect a park like that to take it.