• New York

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Carolina

• Ohio

• Texas

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Other (have to stop list here due to poll option limit)

• Total voters

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Hypothetical question. If, in the distant future, the US were to start to split up for whatever reason and the states involved became their own separate country, which state do you think will be the first to break off and why?

Given that Texas used to be its own country before becoming part of the US and most Texans being very proud of that, I'd say Texas would be the first. If not Texas, then any of the southern states e.g. Alabama or Georgia

(p.s. absolutely no reason behind this question. Just thought it would make good discussion)

Ben

CF Legend
I'd say Texas.

It's the only State that has ever even mentioned wanting to be a separate country (not that it'll happen) but yeah.

Or maybe one of the ones like Alaska or Hawaii that are just pointless being in the Union.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Yeah, Texas.

Either way, breakup or not I'd move straight out of Illinois when I get the chance.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
Texas. They have by far the most separate 'culture' from the rest of the states. While they are fiercely patriotic, they love their state just as much. Not many states have such a strong passion for their own state. I think Ohio, California, and Texas tend to be the biggest 'homers' for their own soil (and yes, I love my state and really wouldn't live anywhere else. :))

Other than that, Hawaii and Alaska, while separated from the continental US, wouldn't be the first to jump ship if **** hit the fan. Even the native population of said states quite enjoy their relationship with the US, much like Puerto Rico (which SHOULD be a state, but that's another topic)

All that being said, I think it would be a regional separation rather than state-wise. Yes, it would be state by state if it would go in that manner, but it would eventually turn into something like the Civil War with the distinct cultural areas separating to form smaller unions.

The South, New England, The Midwest, The Rockies, and the Pacific region are the divides that could and would most likely happen. Also, you'd probably see states break apart as some parts of individual states (like the UK) can be separate from North to South or East to West.

MagnesiumPC

Roller Poster
California - Only one whos actually done this before.
Indiana - More likely the whole midwest, since we are under represented and getting sick of it. Also, Indiana in speciific is very important for US Trade, and if we left, it could ruin the US.
Texas - Its a common misconception that they can legally leavr, however, they can break up into six smaller states, which would make our flag painfully uneven.