What's new

The Flamingo Land Woodie That Never Was

Pierre

Strata Poster
Soooo G Force Mag have done an interview with the man himself, Nick Buckley.

Even he admits its cruel, but he has released a 3D rendering of what was, the proposed Flamingo Land woodie!

Although he doesn't say its been cancelled full stop, it is most definitely on hold for the moment.

http://www.gforcemag.com/2010/profiled-nick-buckley/

flamwoodie.png

A

Anonymous

I think that the rumours were that this was going to be a Vekoma woodie, so I would guess that Allot and Lomax or Stand Company would be the designers, since they designed the other ones that Vekoma have made.

Looks pretty decent though, but then again, it can go both ways, Thundercoaster is one of the best woodies around and Robin Hood is dire (haven't been on the third one...).

A

Anonymous

^ I should have said "was", up until GCI started to mess with it...

Jer

Strata Poster
Pretty good article, and the NL model makes the ride look sick. Does anyone know why they decided against the woodie?

rickydoodle

Roller Poster
Hi guys,

Glad you enjoyed the article. Plenty more to come.

Just a quick note to say I've had to disable hot linking due to the number of forums where the image has been posted!

Cheers,
Rick.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Damn, that looks much better than anything FL has built, full stop.

Thinking about it, PR makes sense for introducing the others. Velocity was very unique at it's time (they were just very unfortunate it opened the same year as Rita) Mumbo Jumbo obviously had a big selling point and I get suspended coasters work better with the GP than woodies.

But damn, that looks stunning for Flamingo Land. Hopefully they're working on it to bring us something even better! But I doubt it.

T0M

Hyper Poster
They are concentrating on roller coasters now, I suspect it will come eventually.

STC

Mega Poster
Nick Buckley said:
The Schwarzkopfs were tremendously good fun and I do miss riding them, but let’s be honest, they hurt!
So why do they still have Kumali and Mumbo Jumbo then? :?

T0M

Hyper Poster
^ They are visually appealing to your average Joe.

Love the way he dismisses Mumbo Jumbo as silly though. Just prove sit has been an excellent marketing icon and very little else.

It is a bad design - breaking a record just for the hell of it. The drop isn't even that extreme because it's braked but the world record gets them noticed with media coverage. It has a low throughput of 4 people per train so it hasn't been designed to satisfy the people once they're actually in the park. Crazy name, colour scheme and appearance. An excellent marketing ploy/masterpiece indeed.