What's new

The Error Rides (Ninja Download, Pg1)

Error

Strata Poster
^Do know that the original concept was started when I first got the program ;)

Layout complete with LIFT SUPPORTS :O

Machine-081212122340000.jpg

Also: Coming Soon, a guide to make quick supports

Ollie

CF Legend
^Doesn't mean you're right though. Just stop moaning at Error saying that he's not doing things your way.

By the way Error it's looking great so far. :)

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
DUDE you nicked my idea! I made a eurofighter with a 95 degree drop, into what I called 'The Omega Hill' becuase it looked like the greek letter omega. It had less than -1g's all the way over in every seat, most of the time in yellow g force, but not in red...

oh well, hope it goes well for you...

Error

Strata Poster
^It's happens, Xpress took a few of my ride names a couple times without knowing. I had a Cobra that had a turn in the middle to change the exit location (might actually open that one up again), and everyone knows about my "Elevation Lift" ride Furious Falcon (and all it's love childs).

Ollie said:
By the way Error it's looking great so far. :)

Thanks, got your maps ready, BTW ;)

And, as promised:
ASign.png

[/reallybadphotoshopwork]

Today, we will see how to start supporting a ride, and start with making standard triangle frames. I will be using "Machine" as a guiding reference and example.

For anyone who took engineering/geometry, you'll know that a triangle is the strongest shape to can use, over a standard straight line or a square. And for those who didn't know that, now you know.

Here's what it looks like without any work done.
1.png

Step 0: Pre-planning and research
Before you start building supports, you need to know exactly what kind of supports you want, if you going for realism. Look at pictures that are your ride type AND have the same/similar elements. If you have an Intamin Overbanked turn, best see how it's supported, how many supports should go into it, ETC.
Step 1: Track supporting
This is a process in which you go through the entire track and place connectors to where the support will go GENERALLY. Don't worry about being exact until later.
2.png

Step 2: Pacing
In order for you not to overwork yourself, break down the track into sections. An easy one is to do is one element at a time. It also helps to take only one hour a day to support. You'd be surprised how fast it'll go with little-to-no effort appearing.

I'll start with the pre-lift, lift, and drop.
3.png

Step 3: Straight Pillars
Start off by making the straight supports. Just using the ground connector tool, place one under each red dot. That's all you're doing for now.
4.png

Step 4: Frame to ground
Still using the ground connector, place another one to the side of the support. Placement does NOT matter, you'll line it later. Just be sure there is 2 grounds to one track.
5.png

Step 5: Free Connectors
Double click the lowest node of the track under a window pops up. Close the window.
6.png

Using the free connector tool, place 2 nodes APART FROM EACH OTHER near every straight support. An easy method is to place one close and one further to keep them separate. keep them away from the track to make it easier on you.
7.png

Step 6: Raise them up!
While holding control, select each of the outer free connectors. This should make only the ones you click highlight. With them still highlighted, hit the "Page Up" key 3 times.

This will make it easy for you in a bit.
8.png

Step 7: Making them stand
A good method for support building is being consistent, which I'll show.

Select the thin support tool. Click and drag the support FROM the outer free connector TO the track connector.
9.png

Using the medium tube, click and drag FROM the inner free connector TO the outer support base.
11.png

Using the large tube, click and drag FROM the outer free connector TO the main support base.
12.png

Step 8: Lining it up
Place the two free connectors on top of the base support. If the track connector doesn't line up, adjust it so that it is close enough. As with the side support, line it up so the it is in line with the track's ties.
13.png

Step 9: Finishing touch
Going into the side-view, raise the free connectors (select them both by holding control) to a point where you want them. You can adjust the side connectors to where you want them as well.
14.png

Congrats, you made supports.

Ollie

CF Legend
Error said:
Thanks, got your maps ready, BTW ;)
YAY!. :D

And good tutorial. The only problem I have when making supports is getting the free nodes to line up and having to go into the 3d sim view to find them to move them round.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Oo. You forgot to mention track connectors :shock:

bm1da6.png

Needs to be in alignment with the track. B&M's aren't necessarily picky with perfect alignment, as it's not completely noticeable. Intamins however, completely noticeable.

Xpress

Strata Poster
It's a quick NL support to track connector. You can go all out with 3Ds if you want a proper look.

And, IDK, but what looks better:

bm4bn1.png

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Eww, Neither. If your gunna do it atleast connect the track to the support with the same size thickness support. Otherwise it just looks plain silly.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Why do that, and have the sides of the support protrude out from the sides of the track spine? That looks silly to me :p

Error

Strata Poster
It's just a faster way to make supports. So shush.

More supporting, this time it's the huge freaking hill-that-I've-yet-to-name:
Machine-081215184344000.jpg

Machine-081215184404001.jpg

They're not the best, but hey. They work for now.

Dave

CF Legend
Those supports are hideoous, change them!

Your support guide fails as its on showing how to make Y supports. I made one ages ago, but I need to start and finish it.

Error

Strata Poster
Dave said:
Your support guide fails as its on showing how to make Y supports.

I'm making more for A-Frame, Inversions, Towers, and Inverts. Y is the most basic ones I know of.

Xpress

Strata Poster
If it goes beyond 90º on both sides, then it's called a "Buster Hill". Buster came up with it when he was first using NL (waaaay back when), and named it that. One of the original NL users.

But anyhoo, call is whatever. Error hill sounds appropriate.