What's new

The correct pronunciation of "meme".

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
Just to know once and for all, can anybody tell me the correct way to say "meme" (phonetically preferably) :) So is it meem, or maym or what, because I'm not sure... Thanks!

Aaron

Hyper Poster
The correct pronunciation of "meme".

I say meem, I believe that is the correct way, but if it isn't, I'm still gonna just say meem always lol.

How about memmy? :p

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

Treeis

Mega Poster
Its Meem. At first glance, it looks like it should be pronounced "May-may", but that is wrong. People are mocked for pronouncing it like that.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Meem. I thought everyone knew that.

:D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hixee said:
Meem. I thought everyone knew that.

:D

The problem with a word that people have only heard about because they spend too much time on the internet, is that they have never actually heard people talking in real life, and therefore won't have ever heard the word spoken.

There are people in Mexico who think your name is pronounced Hee[spit]ch[/spit]eeeee you know Matt? ;)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Mem? Wikipedia says there's only one syllable. I thought it was pronounced something along the lines of "bread" just with m's instead of b and d.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Using my basic English grammar knowledge, I have come to the conclusion that it is in fact pronounced "meem". :D

^ Mream?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Bream? ;)

I can't be sturgeon, but I cod not halibut notice Pokemaniac minnow have meant "include the R"

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Wait... no R? Dang, I thought I had got it just right.

Must be the local dialect here. They insist on adding Js into every word they can get their hands (lips?) on. Us poor Osloites never know what they actually mean.