Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best B&M Hyper coaster.

Discussion in 'General Discussions & Opinions' started by Nemesis of oblivion, May 31, 2013.

1. Ketchup

Ketchup Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Hersheypark
    Coaster Count:
    I've recently come back from 2 weeks in America visiting 13 parks.

I'd probably rank them like this:

1. Fury 325 (by quite a large margin. I haven't quite figured out my top 10 yet but I think this will almost certainly go into my top 5)
    2. Leviathan (great first drop and the bunny hill after the first corner had great airtime)
    3. Diamondback (this was a pleasant surprise as I honestly wasn't expecting it to be that good, solid airtime throughout and a really fun first drop)
    4. Apollo's Chariot (not the most intense but really fun, the last hill before the break run had great airtime)
    5. Behemoth (good out and back coaster but I think AC did the same thing better)
    6. Nitro (better than I remember it being in 2006, a fun ride)
    7. Raging Bull (probably the most forgettable, I don't remember disliking it but I don't really remember liking it either)
    8. Intimidator (the trims seriously killed this thing, it barely had any airtime, though reading the comments of others in this thread I'm wondering if I just hit it on a bad day). It also quite possibly has the worst concept for a theme ever. I know the Carolinas have a reputation for being a bit rednecky but they seriously themed a hypercoaster to a dead NASCAR driver? Okaaaay.

Generally I think they are great coasters, the only one I've come off thinking 'that was a bit crap' was Intrimidator.

2. AmusementSci

AmusementSci Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    El Toro
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Only been on 3, but:

1) Diamondback - this one really surprised me. I rode it the first time towards the front and was less than impressed. I rode it 3 more times in the very back and it gave a totally different ride. The first drop was really intense in the back and I got a lot of ejector air. The splashdown didn't do anything for me, but I thought the rest of the ride was great.

2) Nitro - this was disappointing. My first ride was in the front and I was really disappointed. The drop was great, but after that I felt like I was bored. I rode it later in the day and sat in the back. I was less disappointed, but it still didn't live up to my expectations. I thought the first drop was great, but I thought the rest of the ride was weak.

3)Apollo's Chariot - This may not even be a fair one to rank, because I can't remember anything about it. I think it was around 100* when I was at BGE and I rode this late in the day before we left, so I must have been suffering from heat stroke or something. But I don't really have anything positive or negative to say about it.

3. SimonSays99

SimonSays99 Guest

Not having been on many but my five cents:

Fury325 - I was surprised that it actually has some airtime and very good pacing, is B&M getting bold?

The rest is just up and downs without any major thrill, nearly no airtime, slow pacing. Overall my recent US trip only confirms that there is nothing that beats an Intamin Hyper.

4. Superbatboy

Superbatboy Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    1.Apollos Chariot
    2.Diamondback
    3.Nitro

5. BBH

BBH Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Outlaw Run
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Bull is still the only one I've ridden, but it's fab. Row 9 <<<<33

6. DelPiero

DelPiero Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I swear there was a newer version of this thread, but hey-ho.

1 - Fury 325 - Duh, easily the best B&M hyper out there, the others are quite good but this really is exceptional. Some tasty floater as expected but this actual has ejector, direction changes and speed, glorious speed.
    2 - Nitro - I didn't experience major rattling which I've heard about so my rides were full of floater airtime through the whole layout, with the brilliantly forceful helix breaking it up. Love this ride, especially at night.
    3 - Silver Star - Similar to Nitro with a lot of floater but missing the forceful helix. Not a huge fan of the final S turns, but it's still fab.
    4 - Raging Bull - Ghastly. Awful layout, a sapping trim and a grabbing MCBR. That's without even mentioning the disgusting rattle this thing has on train 1. It nearly made me throw up from the rattling and jolting at the bottom of every drop. One of the worst B&Ms in existence, eeeeeew.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Hixee likes this.
  7. CrashCoaster

CrashCoaster Formerly ATI CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    1:- Shambhala.

8. zazobo

zazobo Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    I've only done Silver Star and Shambhala. The latter is muuuuch better. I also prefer the seat format on the Shammy trains too. SS is still great though, really enjoyable coaster.

9. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    Leviathan's quite special and Behemoth's even better.
    But Shambhala is something else.

10. Edward M

Edward M Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Tokyo Disneysea
    Coaster Count:
    Ahhh, yes. B&M Hypers.

1. Fury 325- Definitely the best of the B&M Hypers because it does everything a B&M Hyper doesn't. No gradual hills with decent floater here. You are ripping through these low banking turns followed by ejector filled hills. It is often a bit overhyped, but it is possibly the best B&M out there.
    2. Shambhala- Ampersand is amazinggggg. The extra height and theming puts it towards the top of the B&M Hyper list. The hills provide great floater and is just generally a great coaster.
    3. Goliath, SFOG- I would say this is the best "classic" B&M Hyper, for me at least. Both Fury and Shambhala are taller and have extra elements than the usual Hyper, but Goliath is right at 200 ft and has all the traditional elements. What this coaster does best is the mixture of floater and ejector. B&M Hypers' ejector is usually quite weak, but I loveee the ejector on these bunny hills. Plus, that insane helix. Overall, I'd say this is in the top 25 in America.
    4. Nitro- This used to be higher, but my recent rides have been mostly duds. Still, it has the classic floater and some good bunny hills. However, there's a notable rattle and its forces are just weaker than before.
    5. Mako- This is a quality B&M Hyper and likely the best coaster in Orlando (if they fixed that :emoji_zipper_mouth: Yeti then Everest would beat it). It does everything right but also doesn't really excel anywhere. Very good, just good though.
    6. Diamondback- Eh. Haven't ridden this since 2012, but I doubt it has gotten better recently. It had a bad rattle then in the back, and it had decent airtime but nothing amazing. I think the layout itself is good, but I just remember it being, well, unmemorable.
    7. Intimidator- Boooo. No airtime for me, no forces, no nothing. Had good speed, but I'll take a ride on Fury any day.

11. Mysterious Sue

Mysterious Sue Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Schwur des Kärnan
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Shambhala - just joy, joy, joy. A great mix of ejector and floater plus the crazy ampersand and the splashdown. It looks great too

Nitro - I used to rate this above Shambles but I've dropped it down as my memory fades and I've reridden the other several times since. I had a great front row ride with some really powerful airtime but all I hear recently from others is criticism :(

Apollo's Chariot - traditional feel and I like the colour scheme and the way it dives in and out of the trees

Silver Star - it's fine, I just wish it wasn't over a car park

Diamondback - again, no complaints but it didn't blow me away either.

Hollywood Dream - a bit small/short but still some decent air

Raging Bull - the focus on corners rather than airtime turned me off. Don't like the setting much (lots of mud) or the colour scheme which isn't helped by being faded.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    vaugc002 likes this.
  12. DelPiero

DelPiero Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Thanks @Edward M, I forgot Intimidator

Edward M likes this.
  13. Hixee

Hixee Flojector Staff Member Administrator Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Kinda says it all, then, doesn't it? ;)

DelPiero and Edward M like this.
  14. ThomVD

ThomVD Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Gröna Lund
    Coaster Count:
    I feel that Shambhala is slightly overhyped. I went in expecting it to blow away Silver Star. What I found was a slightly smoother, nicer looking version with a better first drop and a slightly more interesting layout. But I also find the ending much weaker than on Silver Star. So yeah, slightly more refined and better overall, but they're not far apart at all.

15. Mysterious Sue

Best Coaster:
    Schwur des Kärnan
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Normally Thom, I agree with you, but not here. There's no way in hell that Shambles and Silver Star are even close.

zazobo and TilenB like this.
  16. ThomVD

ThomVD Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Gröna Lund
    Coaster Count:
    I wish I could love Shambhala as much as everybody else, but I couldn't help feeling a bit disappointed. I was expecting more. Maybe I'll change my mind when I re-ride it? Mostly getting middle-seat rides on it due to attrocious seat assignment didn't help either...

17. Mysterious Sue

Best Coaster:
    Schwur des Kärnan
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Yeah, that probably has a lot to do with it then ;)

18. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    1) Shambhala
    2) Leviathan
    3) Silver Star
    4) Behemoth
    5) Diamondback

6) Raging Bull

vaugc002 and Mysterious Sue like this.
  19. GuyWithAStick

GuyWithAStick Captain Basic Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    I would normally be quick to defend something like this, but Raging Bull totally deserves it. It just barely manages to be in the park's Top 5. Less and less airtime with each ride. Quite sad, actually. I remember it having some amazing sustained floater moments. But now I just don't get any.

That being said, Raging Bull currently is the best, worst, and most mediocre B&M hyper I've done to date.

DelPiero likes this.
  20. TilenB

TilenB Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    1. Shambhala
    2. Silver Star

#eurobasic

zazobo likes this.