What's new

Rank the B&M Hyper coasters

jolash

Mega Poster
BBH said:
ava1enzue1a said:
If Leviathan is ever to be called a hyper, then Millennium Force and I305 are megas and the term "giga" goes out the door. Just technical terminology though.
To be fair, though, this is asking about B&M Hypers. Leviathan is classified by B&M as a "Mega Coaster" which is their term for a hyper coaster, and is their only giga built so it should count as a hyper in B&M discussion and a giga in other discussion.

In this instance I don't think we're using the term "hyper" in reference to their size. Here, hyper is simply referring to the particular model made by B&M.

BBH

Giga Poster
jolash said:
BBH said:
ava1enzue1a said:
If Leviathan is ever to be called a hyper, then Millennium Force and I305 are megas and the term "giga" goes out the door. Just technical terminology though.
To be fair, though, this is asking about B&M Hypers. Leviathan is classified by B&M as a "Mega Coaster" which is their term for a hyper coaster, and is their only giga built so it should count as a hyper in B&M discussion and a giga in other discussion.

In this instance I don't think we're using the term "hyper" in reference to their size. Here, hyper is simply referring to the particular model made by B&M.
Exactly. B&M Hyper=B&M Mega=The ride umbrella that includes rides scoping from Hollywood Dream (which is quite possibly the most "WTF were they thinking" ride name in the industry) to Leviathan.

If you're talking Raging Bull vs. Leviathan, it's a B&M Hyper discussion. If you're talking I305 vs. Leviathan, it's a Giga discussion. Model vs. model as opposed to class vs. class.

Snoo

The Legend
Rode Diamondback the other day.. remembered why I liked it the most of all the hypers I've been on. <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Snoo said:
Rode Diamondback the other day.. remembered why I liked it the most of all the hypers I've been on. <3
Amen!

My B&M hyper count still stands at Diamondback and Goliath - but they both still remain in my top 10.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
I've only been on two B&M hypers, Intimidator and Nitro. But I'm going against the general opinion and saying:

1. Intimidator
2. Nitro

I know Intimidator is considered one of the worse B&M hypers, but I loved it. I'm not sure what it was, maybe the newer trains, that awesome turnaround, or even just the bright paint job, but that coaster just felt so...alive. Nitro, on the other hand, just had the opposite effect. I felt more airtime, and the helix was good, but it was just lacking something. It didn't provide the rush I expected from hyper coasters. The coaster just felt dead, for lack of a better word.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Diamondback is my favorite of the bunch. It's at my home park and I've ridden it dozens of times and it never gets old. I love that you can't see the layout from the park and flying around that forest rocks. And those final airtime hops and that skimming feeling you get during the splashdown are something I have yet to experience on any other of the four B&M hypers I've ridden.

My second favorite is Intimidator. Decent airtime, the Carolina heat really sets the stage along with the theming, and the first drop left me feeling like I was about to fall out. Loved this one!

Third would have to be Goliath (SFOG) over Apollo's Chariot just because Goliath's layout is pretty much AC but bigger and badder.

And if I were to ride every one in the world and then decide, I would bet serious money that I would find Shambhala the best.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I have only ridden Silver Star, which when i rode it in 2011, i thought it was a bit lame with not much airtime, which left me doubt how much i would like other B&M hypers. However when i rode it again last year, it had great airtime and i really saw the potential of both this and other b&m hypers. It is a bit rough in some places (mainly at the valley of the first drop), which gave a little bit of a head ache, but it is still a really great ride.

I am riding Shambhala in October, which i am really excited about :--D

bmac

Giga Poster
2012Jarrett said:
Third would have to be Goliath (SFOG) over Apollo's Chariot just because Goliath's layout is pretty much AC but bigger and badder.

Just pointing out that Goliath has a shorter drop, is 400 feet shorter in length, and has one less hill than AC.

Only B&M Hypers I've been on are AC and Nitro, and Nitro barely edges out AC due to the camelbacks after the MCBR.

Cornelius

Roller Poster
My coaster count kind of pales in comparison to most of people here, but I've managed to try out three B&M hypers in my time, so here's how I'd rate them. Of course, every ride is an A+ in terms of smoothness.
1. Nitro, SFGA - Nitro is a ride I went on twice only with 20 min. lines even though it was by far the greatest ride I'd ever been on. The combination of towering hills, airtime, sharp turns, intense helix, views, scope and speed assembles with grace and excitement. In my book, the ride is a perfect thing, and it oversaturated me with happiness.
2. Goliath, La Ronde - Goliath is perfectly paced. The trims have been eased over the years and now the hills are glorious, full of floating time, with strong G's at the bottom. It's like a relentless assault of the same thing, with some variations towards the and and a nice turnaround transition. The first drop comes fast and intense.
3. Behemoth, Canada's Wonderland - Behemoth is a larger Goliath. My experience in the middle of the train was marked by hills with modest airtime, and a post-MCBR ending that seemed slow from the outside, and really didn't amount to much. The layout has too much down time for the ride to be at the top.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I've also only ridden Silver Star, and I LOVED it. I love how the restrains actually give you the room to get airtime, unlike Goliath (Walibi) where the lap bar is so tight that airtime feels more like a punch to the legs than actually getting out of your seat. I disagree with it being rough. The front and back were completely smooth, and the second row had a little bit of a rattle (not sure if it had to do with the row or the ride) but it was still super smooth. Great airtime and an awesome first drop. The only minus for me with B&M hypers is that it doesn't have that much variety.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
1. Nitro, SFGAdv
2. Goliath, SFLR (Its cute, compact, and delivers enough thrill)
3. Shambhala, Port Aventura (Fast and huge)
4. Leviathan, Canada's Wonderland

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
rtotheizzo17 said:
I think I have only been on 4, will be riding Bohemoth in 10 days....

Goliath over Georgia
Apollo's Chariot
Nitro
Intimidator

Goliath
Leviathan
Behemoth
Apollo
Nitro
Intimidator

1A Goliath over Georgia
1B Diamondback
Leviathan
Behemoth
Apollo
Nitro
Intimidator

Darren B

Giga Poster
1. Leviathan - First 2 rides I wasn't too impressed with, I preferred Behemoth to start off with. Went back in the afternoon once it'd warmed up and it was incredible; so much airtime, I loved it. My second favourite steel coaster.

2. Nitro - First ride was average at the back, a lot of rattle. Second ride at the front offered plenty of floater but again rattled. Third ride on a different train blew me away; one of the best rides on a coaster I've ever had. Bags of floater all the way around and smooth as butter and that was on the second row!

3. Behemoth - I can see why this is often rated as the best B&M hyper. Lovely floater all the way around, excellent coaster no matter where you sit.

4. Silver Star - I don't see why this gets so much hate? Very similar to Behemoth, minus a little bit of the airtime. S bend at the end adds a lovely touch too.

5. Diamondback - A little disappointed with Diamondback but still thoroughly enjoyed it. Only rode it twice (both at the back), it lacked the floater at the crest of the hills but still offered plenty of airtime down each drop. Really wish I'd ridden this at the front to see if it offered any more airtime.

6. Raging Bull - Whether it's because I'm a B&M hyper fanboy or not I don't know but I enjoyed RB. It's by far my least favourite hyper but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Still offered a little bit of airtime too. Best ride at the park until Goliath opened.

Maverix

Mega Poster
Goliath SFoG - Strong airtime throughout and an amazing helix too. Fantastic ride.
Diamondback - Only reason it falls short to Goliath is the lack of a true strong positive-g moment.
Apollo's Chariot - A few dud hills but the drop of the MCBR and after the weird straight bit at the end are fantastic.
Intimidator - Quite dull to be honest, some floater in the back but nothing mind-blowing.
Raging Bull - Not much air and not super intense.

Taxi

Mega Poster
Goliath @ SFOG & Shambhala. Need I say more?

Intimidator is easily the weakest of the bunch, next to Raging Bull.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I've just ridden Nitro today and it was really good, apart from that one of the trains was very rough. The airtime wasn't as good as on Shambhala, but on a par with Silver Star. However, Nitro's helix adds a bit more diversity, that Silver Star doesn't have. Therefore I would rate them like this:

1. Shambhala
2. Nitro
3. Silver Star

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So I have been having some internal conflict. Diamondback was such a great roller coaster when it opened in 2008, but I simply can't get over how shaky those trains have grown. I am not one to change my rankings so much, but Diamondback could be worth knocking down a peg or two.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
First off, I don't count Leviathan as a hyper because I think it's a totally different type of ride, but for those of you who do, it smokes out the competition by a long shot.

I rode Behemoth two days ago and I found it absolutely lovely. Easily B&M's best airtime and it has a really nice setting on the water like that. So updating that,

1. Behemoth
2. Diamondback
3. Intimidator
4. Goliath (SFOG)
5. Apollo's Chariot