Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best B&M Hyper coaster.

Discussion in 'General Discussions & Opinions' started by Nemesis of oblivion, May 31, 2013.

1. LiveForTheLaunch

LiveForTheLaunch Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Eejanaika
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    I don't know if I've done this before, but I'm doing it again because I'm too lazy to go through all 8 pages.

1. Behemoth- Still the best B&M hyper despite a slight rattle. The airtime is the strongest of the bunch and the helix is intense without being too much.

2. Leviathan- I'm not sure why people are counting this, but I'm just following suit. Great speed, amazing first drop, and some good pops of airtime. It does suffer from being too short.

3. Shambhala- My first ride on it was underwhelming with very little airtime, but my second ride more than made up for it. Lovely airtime and a very fun turnaround.

4. Intimidator- Sucked when I rode it back in the day but my last ride on it bumped it up miles. The airtime was great!

5. Hollywood Dream (Backwards)- Certainly a unique sensation riding one of these the other way! Not particularly airtime filled, but fun nonetheless.

6. Nitro- Still a very good ride with good airtime, but it's quite hit or miss. Some days it's good, some days it's :emoji_poop:, some days it makes me grey out (which I dislike) and sometimes it doesn't. But, judging by my last ride, it was fab.

7. Raging Bull- Yeah it's not the greatest thing out there, but it's fun, twisty, and has some good drops.

8. Goliath La Ronde- I haven't been on this in many years so it would probably rank a little bit higher if I rerode it, but it didn't stand out that much.

9. Hollywood Dream (Forwards)- I'd probably get more forces sitting in a chair.

10. Goliath (SFOG)- I'd probably rank this higher if I wasn't on the verge of heat stroke and exhaustion at the time of riding. It did have good airtime, but the forces were too much.

11. Diamondback- Shaky and forceless these days.

CookieCoasters and Hutch like this.
  2. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    New in bold.

1. Still Behemoth. Loved that ride, had myself a little mini marathon when I was there on my own one day back in 2012, got 7 laps in... I think? It was running like a dream - smooth as glass, super fast and buckets and buckets of fabulous, floaty weightlessness, just awesome. Great layout too, just gigantic airtime hill after gigantic airtime hill.
    Bonus points for the seating arrangement.

2. Leviathan. Slightly underwhelmed on my first ride, but I learned to love it after getting front and back row rides later in the day. Back row for the incredible first drop and the airtime moments, front row for the sheer speed of the thing and the views.

3. Diamondback. Good one, I liked it lots. The stadium style seating is a big plus for me - so roomy and spacious. Smooth-ish, good layout, splashdown - what's not to love?

4. Silver Star. My first one, I remember liking it lots, but that was 12 years ago and I'm struggling to compare to ones I've ridden more recently. It doesn't half gobble up those queues though, dunnit? My god, those Germans operate it well.

5. Apollo's Chariot. It was ok. Nice setting, but other than that, not very memorable.

6. Nitro. I've come to accept that I must have ridden "the bad train" on "a bad day", cos it didn't half rattle when I rode it. I mean, it was proper rattling, all the way round. Nowt wrong with the layout or the location, but man, the rattle ruined it.

7. Raging Bull. Uhm.. Yeah. I kinda feel bad about saying this when @GuyWithAStick was kind enough to show us round his home park recently (he even got me a staff discount on some fudge. ;) ), but yeah. Nah.
    Sorry dude, but Mildly Irritated Calf would be a better name for it. It's just a bit... what's the word? Poo, yes that's it. It's poo.
    But thank you very much for the fudge. :)

Will, DelPiero, zazobo and 1 other person like this.
  3. balrog

balrog Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Because B&M don't actually differentiate between hyper and gigas as some enthusiasts do, as for B&M, hyper isn't a height category but a type of roller-coaster. Actually, Leviathan is even one of the few hypers chosen by B&M to showcase the model on their website (http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com/product/hyper-coaster).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    EpochEmu likes this.
  4. GuyWithAStick

GuyWithAStick Captain Basic Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Nah mate, completely agree with you on that. Not even top 5 in the park for me. I'm not a fan of it.

You're welcome for the fudge btw!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

5. DelPiero

DelPiero Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    1 - Fury 325 - Duh, easily the best B&M hyper out there, the others are quite good but this really is exceptional. Some tasty floater as expected but this actually has ejector, direction changes and speed, glorious speed.
    2 - Nitro - I didn't experience major rattling which I've heard about so my rides were full of floater airtime through the whole layout, with the brilliantly forceful helix breaking it up. Love this ride, especially at night.
    3 - Silver Star - Similar to Nitro with a lot of floater but missing the forceful helix. Not a huge fan of the final S turns, but it's still fab.
    4 - Diamondback - Quite liked this one, heading out into the woods definitely adds something and the splashdown is good. Not quite up there with the 2 above but had some great drops in the back.
    5 - Shambhala - My rides on this weren't great, except for the last 2 rides of the night, and even they weren't exceptional. Next time I go hopefully it will be warmer and run like it should, but it really doesn't like the cold it seems.
    6 - Intimidator - Any seat other than the front is a very poor ride. Front is good, nearly as good as Silver Star, plenty of floater all over the place, but ANY other row it's garbage, hardly any weightlessness at all. Don't get the fuss tbh and hence is near the bottom of the list.
    7 - Raging Bull - Ghastly. Awful layout, a sapping trim and a grabbing MCBR. That's without even mentioning the disgusting rattle this thing has on train 1. It nearly made me throw up from the rattling and jolting at the bottom of every drop. One of the worst B&Ms in existence, eeeeeew. - Note, Re-rode this recently and the rattle wasn't as bad but the trim still ruins it, sideways hang on an "airtime hill"? :emoji_zipper_mouth: off.

6. streetmagix

streetmagix Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Blue Fire
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    1. Mako

Hours and hours of glorious airtime, nice forceful turnaround, and a beautiful floater hill into a nice turn over the lake. I can't see how B&M hypers can get any better than this (although read my Silver Star entry below)

2. Hollywood Dream: The Ride

My first B&M Hyper (Mega?), I rode it in the evening with the music pumping and everyone on the train cheering and laughing. Amazing.

3. Shambhala

Amazing ride, terrible restraints. The only ride I've ever had to do the 'walk of shame' down the platform. When I was slim enough to ride it was awesome though. Beautiful views from the top, loads of airtime, the turnaround was amazing and the hills just kept coming

4. Silver Star

I'm almost certain this was a dream, did anyone ride Silver Star last year during Europas winter season? Did I just imagine it?

8c, grey and pelting it down with rain. Silver Star was running like an absolute monster. Every hill was ejector airtime, trying to rip you from your seat. The helix was so forceful I started greying out. S-bend had loads of lateral. I'm amazed the brakes managed to stop it. For that one glorious day it was my favorite coaster in the history of coasters.

Then I rode it during the summer season a few days ago. So disappointing. Pegasus legitimately had more airtime. It ambled its way through the layout with small amounts of airtime when it felt like it. Felt like it might stall on the helix. Oh Europa, why did you nerf it?

Howie likes this.
  7. Pear

Pear Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    1. Apollo's Chariot - Rode this back row with a ton of room and was flying out of my seat on all the hills. Easily one of the best hypers out there.

2. Behemoth - Great ride, especially when trimless and full of great floater airtime. Decent 2nd half as well.

3. Intimidator - Rode this when it was running extremely fast and got very good airtime on all the hills and some good forces in the turnaround. I wish it had a longer 2nd half though.

4. Silver Star - The first half was okay but the trimless 2nd half was so good in the back row. Great air off the MCBR and on the hills after it. Very fun ride!

5. Diamondback - I got this when it was running slow I guess since apart from the drop my butt was in my seat for the entire ride. It was very boring, but like I said it was probably running slow. Hopefully next time I'm at KI it'll be better.

6. Nitro - Very boring ride. There is barely any airtime and the 2nd half is slow and stupid. I do not get the praise for this ride since I find it extremely overrated. I understand that there are some days where it runs well but that just makes the ride very inconsistent.

CookieCoasters and EpochEmu like this.
  8. EpochEmu

EpochEmu Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Intimidator 305
    Best Park:
    BGW
    Finally, someone understands
    :)

Pear likes this.
  9. CookieCoasters

CookieCoasters Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Intimidator 305
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I’ve done all the ones in North America and Europe now. I’m including the Gigas since they’re included in the same model and have just as much similarity in experience to the standard B&M Hyper as Raging Bull imo. All these coasters rank in my top 100 except for number 13.

1. Shambhala, PortAventura Park - Last rode it in October 2017 and it was better than ever. Fantastic airtime and the best layout. Pretty much perfect. Top 10! it’s just :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing amazing.
    2. Behemoth, Canada’s Wonderland - The best airtime of these coasters: combination of being sustained, strong and plentiful. The layout just isn’t as special and it isn’t as smooth as #1
    3. Fury 325, Carowinds - It actually took a while for this one to “WOW” me, but the night rides were insanely wonderful. The forceful turns give it something special.
    4. Leviathan, Canada’s Wonderland - Analytically it’s not as strong as Fury, but it impressed me just as much really. Much better airtime hills than above, just a shame the return journey isn’t as intense or notable.
    5. Goliath, Six Flags Over Georgia - It’s smaller, shorter and doesn’t have one of the better first drops, but every other moment of this coaster is amazing and it has a variety of strong forces.
    6. Mako, SeaWorld Orlando - I looove this one: gorgeous ride experience, fab Stengel dive and airtime. Shame it dies a little at the end.
    7. Silver Star, Europa Park - pre-MCBR it’s very good but not amazing; except, it ends much stronger than most other coasters of this type.
    8. Diamondback, Kings Island - it’s kinda rattly but no too bad up-front and the airtime is very strong. I guess trims cause it to fizzle out at the end.
    9. Apollo’s Chariot, Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Different to the other Hypers. Has quite a few surprising moments of ejector which I love <3 Sadly, it has gotten quite rattly all the way round which is why it’s a bit lower.
    10. Intimidator, Carowinds - Smooth and lovely floater first half, if not particularly distinguishable from others. Another one that sadly dies at the end a bit.
    11. Nitro, Six Flags Great Adventure - It doesn’t feel as remarkable anymore, but I remember the airtime on the big hills were quite sustained and it does have some intensity. Sadly, I found it rattly and the final bunny hills were weak.
    12. Goliath, La Ronde - The mass of floater hills are very enjoyable, but it’s just not as thrilling as those above. Still sneaks in to the bottom part of my top 100 because it’s a fab ride.
    13. Raging Bull, Six Flags Great America - Yeah, what everyone else says really. Just isn’t up to scratch, especially given how neutered it is. First drop is still great though!

10. LiveForTheLaunch

LiveForTheLaunch Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Eejanaika
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Ah I didn't coint Fury325 in my last list but it would be #1 for sure.

11. b&mfanboy123

b&mfanboy123 Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Fury 325
    Best Park:
    BGW
    Coaster Count:
    1. Mako - this ride keeps on giving and giving. The airtime is insane and the views are scenic, the ride is fab. 10/10
    2. Apollo's Chariot - while this ride has some of my favorite airtime on any b&m hyper,and the scenery is amazing, It has developed a rattle which is why it is #2 10/10
    3. Diamondback - while it has the better seating arrangement and a night ride is fab,the ride dies down towards the end. 9/10
    4. Nitro - fun ride for sure,this one has a lot of variety thrown in and blends well together. But it has a really bad rattle and the second half is a bit weak. 8/10
    5. Intimidator - it is trimmed to death this one and the second half is pathetic but the front row is quite good. 8/10
    goes down a lot

6. Raging Bull - what happened? 7/10

Howie and Matt N like this.
  12. Pear

Pear Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I don't get how people find Apollo's Chariot really rattly. The only part where I actually noticed it was in the turnaround but it wasn't bad at all and didn't affect the ride at all for me. It's not like if it rattled a lot it would be bad anyways since there's lapbars.

b&mfanboy123 and EpochEmu like this.
  13. CookieCoasters

Best Coaster:
    Intimidator 305
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    The rattle does not make it anything near bad no, but I guess why I might rank it down a tad for the significant rattle I experienced as it was the sort that gets to my head a bit, and also it’s just not as pleasant to feel a steel coaster rattling as it is to feel it perfectly smooth. Just a very small gripe though, and different views on the rattle might come from ‘off’ vs ‘on’ days, different tolerances for certain kinds of rattle, different trains, different rows, I guess the list goes on hah. I’m jealous you got to experience it as smooth as you did tbh.

14. Pear

Pear Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Maybe I've just always caught it on good days then as I remember a similar experience back in 2016 as well.

15. CookieCoasters

Best Coaster:
    Intimidator 305
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    ^It was glass smooth for me in 2014 tbf. Who knows? It’s awesome regardless <3.

EpochEmu likes this.
  16. Pear

Pear Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    @CookieCoasters I agree it's amazing! I was able to get 3 clicks on the restraint (minimum is 2) and I was flying out of my seat the entire ride! It was actually quite scary at times as my legs would slip through the restraint a little.

EpochEmu and CookieCoasters like this.
  17. MestnyiGeroi

MestnyiGeroi Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Phoenix
    Best Park:
    Knoebels
    Coaster Count:
    The B&M hypers I’ve been on as of right now. Not including gigas, as I want to compare like for like and gigas are a different category to me, no matter how the company classifies them.

1. Behemoth
    2. Mako
    3. Diamondback
    4. Intimidator
    5. Nitro
    6. Apollo’s Chariot

They’re all great rides.

Matt N likes this.
  18. grkfire

grkfire New Member

Best Coaster:
    Raging Bull
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Personally I think it's Six Flags Great America's best. Raging Bull's drop is fantastic!

19. Hutch

Hutch Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Which other ones have you been on? Raging Bull is consistently towards the bottom of other people's list, not quite sure why you would think it's better than others.

20. grkfire

grkfire New Member

Best Coaster:
    Raging Bull
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    I haven't been on the others, but for our Six Flags park, it is the best ride there. :)