Crazy Bats VR Coaster - Phantasialand

NightHawkFur

Roller Poster
IMG_20190517_121840.jpg.8ea52fe9ade5fec88b32c913e6701239.jpg

(c) Phantafriends.

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I actually think it looks nice*. And at least now with the size of the letters people definitely should be able to find the entrance now.:D
*Same goes for all the exterior queue work. That dark, dull, unfriendly and outdated abyss now looks fresher, brighter and more colourful with the blue and white. The whimsical cartoony style I think sits well with the Fantasy Area (even if it isn't Wuze connected - but then again aesthically neither was Temple and Hollywood Tour just fit at all) and its presumably is coherent with the style of the VR film.
Undoubtedly this is all of a lower quality than the rest of the recent new additions. Crazy Bats is obviously a low budget project; but that just further supports the theory this is merely a stop gap/temporary addition until the building is addressed in a few years following the next major project (which I still believe will be Geister Rikscha).

Hopefully the interior is also improved. I imagine it will be, can't really get worse than space hallways painted green - well providing they've not just painted it all blue now I guess.:p
And as for VR, well it might be decent as the long ride time has potential for them to present some substantial story, but its still VR and I can't see myself really much caring about it. Most visitors probably will not see it as a downgrade from the visual experience of nothing...
Together with the fact it ultimately will increase interest and ridership in the park's least popular coaster, and give them a "new attraction" to market this summer, this project is really an improvement in most respects. Even if it isn't a very popular choice with a lot of enthusiasts.
At the end of the day its almost certainly a short term thing and there's far, far more interesting Vekoma related developments happening nearby in that park...

Dar

Hyper Poster
Ew, I thought Merlin had the world exclusive rights to flat, tacky signs? On the plus side, Leek Signs must be doing well to branch out onto the continent.

I'm starting to lean into the idea that this is a temporary cover for FLY not opening this year as they'd hoped. I love PL but this looks tacky as hell and sooner the whole building's gone the better!

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
If anything, this just screams "temporary" to me.
No way PHL is going to keep this for years to come, they're probably just looking for a way to keep that corner of the park busy to thin out the crowds overall.

PhantaDad2017

Roller Poster
The outside has strongly progressed today, with an entrance sign, and hanging bats on a line. I think the blue-white Colors fit this futuristic hall much better, than the completely failed attempt to redesign it for the plant-woody-natural look of the Wuze area. Some compare the new look to the original Space Center. While the new decorations have more of a fairground attraction, than another Klugheim, they fit the corrugated metal sheets better. Like, once upon a time, the space theme.

ImagineerTim

Mega Poster
The Temple theme fits great. is coherence in themed areas important like in the past when they decorated space center to temple? I would bring back the space center because hollywood tour doesnt fit as well... but lets see what they make out of it. the brown and green colours and the temple ride are not vibrant like in mexiko but temple is also in the hawkmountain area which can be found on a map hanging around in wuze town. I think its failure. they should theme the ride like vogel rok. or with artificial plants and roots and some more decoration. the music was so good and the layout is so good they dont need glasses IMO

PhantaDad2017

Roller Poster
The Temple theme fits great. is coherence in themed areas important like in the past when they decorated space center to temple? [...]
A temple theme would have fit great, if there had been one. But alone the building, futuristic style, made of corrugated metal sheets, was a problem. The outside queue looked quite acceptable, but once inside, it was a space facility spray-painted in dirty green, stripped of most decorations. As mentioned many times in previous debates, there was "something" (station, ride and fire safety, bureaucratic obstacles or other), that kept them from theming it properly, and probably still makes it impossible, so they go for VR, and probably VR only.

Like you said, Hollywood Tour doesn't fit the natural-style Fantasy theme either, so it looks reasonable to take Crazy Bats out, too. The building isn't beautiful anyway; on a recent picture of the Wuze area, they even mounted trees over it. I think of a planned lifetime of about 10 years for Crazy Bats. It can't get a really great theming anyway, so they try to make it a fun ride, with rather simple (physical) decorations. It may well become a kind of funfair, or "old, 1980s Phantasialand" corner, like when there was no consistent theming. Not much to lose for the moment.

ImagineerTim

Mega Poster
When I see Crazy Bats being installed I ask myself why they didnt kept the space center theme.
Temple was one of my favourite rides at PHL. Its more comfortable than Colorado or Winjas... and quite chilling and smooth. Sit on/Re-Riding was often possible.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
393B6C71-1299-4CA0-BE9D-033B710172AC.thumb.jpeg.d421da77b5d7430dcf6a6e204591dcff.jpeg Also the entrance from Würmling Express received a new layer of paint...

EDIT
The monitors / displays at the entrances to the attractions are replaced / framed by bird houses.

This is currently the case with Crazy Bats, Hollywood Tour and, according to a phantafriend, also with Colorado Adventure and Black Mamba. Curious which attractions will follow.
BE884B42-078A-4080-9B39-222234A8FB90.thumb.jpeg.dcabd4eaed5d371dd41b7ef3c18732ee.jpeg 7F5BC1CE-EE24-4AA5-8617-2FF41B72B3BB.thumb.jpeg.8a04c9187c104541ea58b54c45c0c50e.jpeg

Last edited:

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
From Phantafriends:

IMG_20190611_134728758.jpg.d61230e647be2a38716be76e9416dff7.jpg

Just look at that amazing theming ! ?
Everything is better than the TotNH themeing, so that's okay

I'm wondering if, MAYBE, they are doing something fabulous inside, which is world class etc etc, and they're just trying to cover it up with Crazy Bats on the outside.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^ Highly doubt. Plus what 'world class' thing could they even do with the interior? Its most likely just further blue paint and vinyls.
Honestly what we've seen so far doesn't bother me; while not normal PHL standard its an improvement over Temple and I'm actually glad they are not wasting loads of money on a VR retheme (save those Euros for their major projects). Its a cheap and undoubtedly temporary overlay for only a few years.
The park will have spent way more money on the River Quest and Black Mamba refurbishments in recent years.

Nevertheless for anyone actually cares about this: Crazy Bats has still not yet opened and other than Summer 2019 there's not been any announced opening date. I've heard there has been a issue related to the VR but whether that's caused a delay or there's something else still being worked who knows.

In other PHL news, following the example of nearby Efteling and Movie Park Germany, the park will increase the entry fee during the peak summer season for the first time.
From 06 July until 31st August (when the park is open 2 hours longer for summer) adult entry will cost €51,50 - 2 euros more than a normal 2019 ticket. However the park are also bringing back the HolidayFun x2 offer for those months so guests can return during the summer for a second visit for free.

UP87

Mega Poster
From 06 July until 31st August (when the park is open 2 hours longer for summer) adult entry will cost €51,50 - 2 euros more than a normal 2019 ticket. However the park are also bringing back the HolidayFun x2 offer for those months so guests can return during the summer for a second visit for free.
Anyways you should not buy your Phantasialand tickets at the ticket booth. There are tickets available online for 39,50 € and they get the HolidayFun x2, as well. Phantasialand is one of those parks where you basically never have to pay full price. Just do your research beforehand.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Anyways you should not buy your Phantasialand tickets at the ticket booth. There are tickets available online for 39,50 € and they get the HolidayFun x2, as well. Phantasialand is one of those parks where you basically never have to pay full price. Just do your research beforehand.
Ok so where does one find a ticket this price? I've always just paid on the door, I usually just can't be bothered to check. Besides, I usually buy a 2 day ticket which I've never seen sold by a third party.