What's new

Tayto Park | Viking Voyage | Interlink Super Flume

rollercoaster2

Mega Poster
Looks like Tayto Park in Ireland is about to get it's second major rollercoaster after the wooden Cuchullain rollercoaster opened last year.

http://www.newstalk.com/How-big-could-Tayto-Park-be

Given they already have a wooden rollercoaster you would have to think they will go with a different structure type. What can they get for €17.5m? Cuchullain cost €12m.

Exciting times for the park by the looks of it.
The company has begun work on a new €5.7m water ride, and it is investing €17.5m in a second major rollercoaster to accompany the wooden Cuchulainn ride.

I see a flume ride is also being built.

Temleh

Mega Poster
Fantastic news.

Bets placed on a steel multi-looping roller coaster such as a Mack Megacoaster or one of the new Vekoma creations.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I mean, that's in the range of a medium B&M, like a Wing Coaster or a Floorless even. But I think what Temeleh said would fit the park better.

mouse

Giga Poster
Brilliant! This will secure Tayto the status of a substantial destination park! I love seeing smaller parks come to prominence.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
If Temleh is right and they get a Mack Mega, Tayto would be a must visit for me, on top of an already amazing wooden coaster. And the price range would make sense for a Mack, but I'm betting that it will be some kind of B&M multi looper

hamcake

Roller Poster
Thanks for the article link, I hadn't seen it yet and I've been stalking news pretty hard.

The plans from over a year ago for the flume look fairly mediocre, perhaps they have revised them since then after exceeding their attendence projections. Ray has used the term "super flume" in recent interviews which is specific enough to make me hopeful it won't be the original plans. Heavy theming is something that could make the ride great, but given the rest of the park I'm not sure if that's likely.

As for the rollercoaster, there was an interview where he said "the idea would be a combined metal and timber one, so you get the best of both worlds"

Hmm... :)

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
hamcake said:
Thanks for the article link, I hadn't seen it yet and I've been stalking news pretty hard.

The plans from over a year ago for the flume look fairly mediocre, perhaps they have revised them since then after exceeding their attendence projections. Ray has used the term "super flume" in recent interviews which is specific enough to make me hopeful it won't be the original plans.

As for the rollercoaster, there was an interview where he said "the idea would be a combined metal and timber one, so you get the best of both worlds"

Hmm... :)

Metal and timber... Did someone say RMC? A hybrid would be a fantastic addition

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd be really surprised if they went with a wood, especially a RMC. Why would they get another coaster that is "similar" to Cu Chu? When I spoke to Mr Coyle last year, he said they had still to make up their mind but they were considering something "different" to Cu Chu. Unless he's changed his mind, then I'd rule out wood altogether. What we did chat about were Mack coasters (I really bigged up Helix), Launch coasters and inverted coasters. It was obvious back then that they had not made up their mind, but it proves they were mainly considering steel options. There's no point just selling Salt & Vinegar flavour crisps when you can offer Prawn Cocktail, too.

As for the flume, that idea sort of died, didn't it? I was expecting it to open this year. I wonder why it didn't. Maybe they weren't happy with the plans? Maybe they've not had a return on their Cu Chu investment? Or they'll probably just smash it like last year by opening loads of new rides at once!

davidm

Strata Poster
Listening to Mr Coyle (snr) in that clip on the newstalk site ; he says water ride (Viking themed) for next Easter (2017) and the €17.5m coaster 2 years later - so 2019 not 2018.

hamcake

Roller Poster
Ian said:
I'd be really surprised if they went with a wood, especially a RMC. Why would they get another coaster that is "similar" to Cu Chu? When I spoke to Mr Coyle last year, he said they had still to make up their mind but they were considering something "different" to Cu Chu. Unless he's changed his mind, then I'd rule out wood altogether. What we did chat about were Mack coasters (I really bigged up Helix), Launch coasters and inverted coasters. It was obvious back then that they had not made up their mind, but it proves they were mainly considering steel options. There's no point just selling Salt & Vinegar flavour crisps when you can offer Prawn Cocktail, too.

As for the flume, that idea sort of died, didn't it? I was expecting it to open this year. I wonder why it didn't. Maybe they weren't happy with the plans? Maybe they've not had a return on their Cu Chu investment? Or they'll probably just smash it like last year by opening loads of new rides at once!

Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about business wise but it seems like a weird choice to complement what they have. One that I'd happily take though. The quote about the hybrid had no context to it, so it's possible he was describing new coaster tech in general rather than specific plans for the park. Given their relationship with Zamperla, maybe it'll be the worlds biggest volare?

eiWaJ23.jpg

I thought the flume was due this year too, from interviews they gave when Cu Chulainn opened. The plans for the flume were submitted in early march 2015 so they may well have decided once the coaster hit to delay in order to expand capacity with all the flats this year. Either way it's definitely a go for next year as the site is being worked on right now with a big wall saying "Coming 2017" with boats painted on.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I forget where I heard it from, but I remember reading that Mr. Coyle said that the next coaster he wants to add would be a (possibly launched) B&M wing coaster, with a somewhat copper-ish color scheme (Wildfire @ Silver Dollar). Mack Looper or a new-gen Vekoma would be awesome additions, as well.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
hamcake said:
The quote about the hybrid had no context to it, so it's possible he was describing new coaster tech in general rather than specific plans for the park. Given their relationship with Zamperla, maybe it'll be the worlds biggest volare?

eiWaJ23.jpg
Who knows? They did get on remarkably well with Gravity a Group, and following Hades 360, it might be possible. It doesn't make sense to me, but then I'm just a goon, not a crisp manufacturing millionaire.

I have no doubt that it's Charles who is running the show and Ray is the figurehead who everybody, particularly the press, wants to talk to. A bit like Dollywood where Dolly does the front facing stuff to get maximum publicity.

And if it's a Volare, I won't be back in a hurry! I have faith it'll be good. Actually, better than good.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
17.5 million €, damn. That is mayor B&M money. Even 2 megalite's can be constructed with those resources!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Oziris cost 12 mil (+8 mil for the area) and Flug cost 15mil (I'm not sure how much landscaping/theming this had) so it'll be fairly substantial. But cedar fair size
I want a mack though :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ They're a very wealthy family. Tayto is a massive brand in Ireland. And if you read the bold text in the newspaper article at the top of this page, you'll see Ray recently sold his share. Kerr-Ching!