What's new

Emerald Park News/Discussion

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The cred whore in me likes this because it means the trip to Ireland is now a +2 instead of a flight for one cred. Yay. (Not that I'm going anytime soon.)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Wait, why the heck is this not in News & Rumours? It started out as a "What do you think will happen?" thread, but now it's more used to report stuff that is actually happening. So, moved.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I visited Tayto Park's Halloween event last night and saw that construction work has started inside the park - given that there hasn't been nor would I expect any other major announcements for next year; I assume this must be the site of their 2019 Zierer Family Coaster.

The Zip Wires have been removed, the towers are still standing but the actual wires and landing platforms/strips are gone (+ they are no longer on the map or website), and beside the tower closest to the park entrance land clearing and digging to create a flat surface has taken place.
20181020_202859.jpg

Lit up lifthill of Cu Chuliann in the background.
20181020_202904.jpg

20181020_203628.jpg

20181020_203441.jpg

20181020_203803.jpg

There are a number of orange pipes for utilities/electricity connections sticking out of the ground.
20181021_020608.jpg

I've drawn the construction site on this aerial view to better demonstrate its size of and its location compared to Viking Voyage, Cu Chuliann and the park entrance.

ciaran75

Roller Poster
What type of cost are these zierer force/esc coasters, surely nowhere near the 17.5 million euro

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
What type of cost are these zierer force/esc coasters, surely nowhere near the 17.5 million euro
Yeah this will absolutely be nowhere near that much.
The 17.5 million figure mentioned a couple of years back was for a planned large thrill coaster which has seemingly been postponed or cancelled.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Yeah this will absolutely be nowhere near that much.
The 17.5 million figure mentioned a couple of years back was for a planned large thrill coaster which has seemingly been postponed or cancelled.
I'm sure I heard somewhere that the thrill coaster was postponed until 2020.

ciaran75

Roller Poster
I think that is their 10 year anniversary so makes sense to do something big then.

Say attendance this year will be up significantly due to great weather this summer

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I'm sure I heard somewhere that the thrill coaster was postponed until 2020.
I've never seen or heard anything about 2020.
Presumably they are still operating their two year major investment cycle (Cu Chuliann 8.5 mill - 2015, Viking Voyage 8 mill - 2017). Say if this costs 4-5 million (rough guess based off other Zierers), maybe 6 if they do some decent theming like they did with Viking Voyage, that will be considered a major investment for them.
So they'll not be making another (nor could they afford to) major investment directly the year after. I'd be extremely surprised if they did.

Hopefully the visitor numbers have increased this year (especially after the slight decrease last year) and this family coaster is a success in 2019 so they will be able to invest in a some kind of large thrill coaster for 2021.