What's new

Emerald Park News/Discussion

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Hmm, that feels like it came out of nowhere. I feel skeptical about it, like we're about to see a Reverchon spinner just plonked in a field.

What is with you today, @peep ? You're writing all my posts, like, 3 minutes before I am! :)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Well Mr Coyle did say last summer that they were looking to add a small kiddie coaster for 2018.
From Dublin Live Facebook page last May:

Considering their good relationship with Zamperla I'd expect something like this.
http://www.zamperla.com/products/junior-twiste-coaster/
I believe Flamingo Land have one.

But yeah given the time scale I'd be surprised if this has any theming and isn't just a catalogue model plonked down like their other Zamplerla flat rides.

Last edited:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
The article linked earlier said:
Cú Chulainn Coaster, Ireland’s first rollercoaster and Europe’s first wooden rollercoaster with an inversion.

Since people were fact checking the Wickerman articles, it may be Ireland's first substantial coaster but it most definitely doesn't invert...

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Some more information about the new for 2018 kids driving school attraction which opens on 24th March.
Tayto Park have announced that they're set to open Ireland's first ever driving course for KIDS.

The new attraction is in collaboration with Nissan, and will help your little racer's dreams come true. The track is currently under construction and will open on March 24.
And whether you have a budding F1 star, or just a kid who really, really wants to get behind the wheel of a car - they now have the chance to learn the rules of the road, get on the road and even earn their own driving licence!

Founder of Tayto Park, Raymond Coyle said: “Here at Tayto Park we’re always looking for innovative and creative ways to enhance the experience for families at our theme park and zoo. "The Nissan Driving School at Tayto Park will be the first of its kind in Ireland of which I’m sure will be very popular among our younger visitors this season. I’m delighted to welcome Nissan to Tayto Park as this marks a milestone as the first sponsored attraction at the park."

CEO of Nissan Ireland, James McCarthy said: “The thousands of children who will enjoy this new family attraction are the EV drivers of tomorrow. This innovative partnership with Tayto Park provides an exciting opportunity for Nissan to continue pioneering the switch to Electric Vehicle driving.
"We look forward to demonstrating the full range of Nissan vehicles, including the new Nissan LEAF, as part of the new family attraction and to joining Tayto Park in providing children with a fun and memorable experience of what it is like to drive their own car”.
image002.jpg

The cars that will be used in the attraction.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/family-kids-news/tayto-park-driving-course-kids-14386581

Also I hadn't seen this before but they are building a Solar Farm near the park.

Tayto Park boss Ray Coyle has got the green light for a €23m solar farm next to his Co Meath amusement park.

It is expected that a third of the electricity produced by the solar panels will be used to power the park, as well as the adjacent crisp factory, while the rest will be supplied to the national grid.

The proposed development, which is being carried out in conjunction with local farmer Joe McDermott, will see the construction of a 35 megawatt solar farm, with more than 120,000 photovoltaic panels arranged on steel ground mounted frames. Coyle owns 100 acres of the site, while McDermott owns a further 40 acres of the overall area earmarked for the project, which is about a kilometre from the nearby Largo Foods Factory and the amusement park.

The decision comes as solar developer JBM was also granted permission by Meath County Council for an even bigger solar farm nearby, between Ratoath and Dunboyne. That project will extend across 210 acres and will generate up to 51 megawatts of power. The Meath solar farms approved by the local authority in recent days are just two of a large number of such developments that have been proposed across the country over the past two years. Planners had faced a conundrum around the proposed renewable energy generating developments because of a lack of any national guidelines on solar farms.
Coyle stepped down as chairman and director of Largo Foods last year after it was taken over by German food group Intersnack but remains in charge of the amusement par

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/coyle-gets-goahead-for-tayto-solar-farm-36614657.html

Gazza

Giga Poster
It never ceases to amaze me in Europe that there can be shaky economic conditions and unemployment but people stonewall stuff like this.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I don't know German so I don't know what any of it says.
Most browsers nowadays give you the option to translate foreign languages ;)

The key takeaway from the article:
Owner and founder Raymond Coyle announced that the roller coaster will be a spinning gondola system - a so-called spinning coaster . The opening is planned for June 2018.

hamcake

Roller Poster
today I saw what seemed like a prepared plot of land with some packaged construction materials next to the storage shed + coaster, it's a small plot but not tiny like figure 8 size. could still be anything I suppose.

also the binbags in the flume are gone, but the replacement foam rock doesn't look great. looks all melty and goopy and everything is a solid shade of gray. All the lifts are still exposed to each other too, not sure if they can do much about it.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
today I saw what seemed like a prepared plot of land with some packaged construction materials next to the storage shed + coaster, it's a small plot but not tiny like figure 8 size. could still be anything I suppose.

also the binbags in the flume are gone, but the replacement foam rock doesn't look great. looks all melty and goopy and everything is a solid shade of gray. All the lifts are still exposed to each other too, not sure if they can do much about it.
Good to hear that the coaster sounds like it will be something more substantial than a figure of 8 (I'm still placing my bets on a Zamperla).
Shame to hear about the lack of improvement with Viking Voyage though, the indoor parts did really let down what an otherwise wonderfully themed water ride. Then again I guess anything is better than bin bags.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Interesting. So that rules out a woodie, and most likely the hybrid coaster that was previously mentioned by the owners?

Wonder when they'll put in planning permission for it and we'll find out more - presuming it is still planned for next year?

There was talk back in 2016 of Mack possibly supplying Tayto with something one day... I do hear that they make good steel coasters (*fingers crossed*)
https://www.buzz.ie/news/europes-best-theme-park-just-opened-a-new-area-dedicated-to-ireland-152663
But the visit may be more business then pleasure, with Mack divulging that talks are underway to bring a new rollercoaster over to the Irish amusement park.
“I would love to visit again,” Michael Mack said.
“People from Tayto Park have been visiting us and I showed them plans for the Irish area so they gave me a few hints and a little bit of help with it, so I definitely want to come visit again. We are also in talks to maybe deliver a new ride to them in the near future.”

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Any news on the spinner? Like, at all? Tayto Park haven't said anything about it yet, so I doubt it will open this year.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Any news on the spinner? Like, at all? Tayto Park haven't said anything about it yet, so I doubt it will open this year.
Funnily enough I was wondering the same so I emailed the park today and they replied saying no offical opening date is set but they expect it to open either at the end of June or early July. So it is still happening.