What's new

Tales of Monkey Island and Special Edition Remake!

mrclam

Giga Poster

Yip.. episode 1 was released this week... Telltale are ace.

Oh and did you hear - Ron Gilbert (who created, designed and coded monkey island 1 and 2 - and helped as consultant on the new one) is working on a new game called "Deathspank" (tm).

I hear it's going to be ace.

Here's a teaser trailer (in case you hadnt heard of it)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KZYmviYZcs[/youtube]

Also, check out rons site where he discusses all things monkey island (and deathspank):

www.grumpygamer.com

Oh - and Ron is also "keynoting" this years PAX in seattle - so if you're a monkey island fan - might want to keep an eye on that.

(*walks away whistling nonchalantly*)

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Just completed the first chapter of Tales of Monkey Island, Launch of the Screaming Narwhal. I enjoyed it, laughed out loud a quite a few times. the controls and character design is great. I can't wait for the next chapter now though =(.

I'm SO glad they're bringing back this genre, it was these games that first got me into games.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I've bought Tales of Monkey Island and I'm buying the remake.
I've just completed Tales and I have to say, it's piss funny! Guybrush has grown up a lot as there is a dair bit of adult humor now.

I swear I screamed this like mad about a month ago in the Happy News topic??? lol :p

mrclam

Giga Poster
its not out yet... nor has any information been given... yet - other than what you can find on rons site (grumpygamer.com), where you can find images of the various characters, etc (which im not allowed to hot link to). The only "offical" announcement is "diablo meets monkey island"

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Didn't notice this thread, but :)

I feel really at home now when i'm playing MI..... im so happy that point'n'clicks are making a little comeback. Yay for TellTale.

Lain

Giga Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
I'm not too fond of the controls though.

It's not point n' click as such. Oh well, it was still fun.

Yeah, it's gone all point 'n' click 'n' drag, which is laaaame.

I'm currently playing through Narwhal. I'm embarrassingly bad at solving the puzzles, but I am getting there!

Lain

Giga Poster
It's at maximum. xD

It took me ages to figure out how to get that guy off his ship, but other than that, it's been rather smoothish. :D

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
I feel that it plays pretty much identical to MI4. I just use the keyboard instead of the mouse, unless i'm using items.

Also, is it just me, or does the hint mechanism kinda ruin the idea of this kind of game? I know the reason its there is so that people that "don't get it" fail to get bored, so they can progress. But I mean, Secret of MI never had a hint system did it, and ... well, you see where i'm going with this.
I was kinda gutted that the remake coming out later this year has a system that you literally ask for a hint. And then, eventually, it just tells you "YOU NEED TO OPEN THIS DOOR" and theres even an arrow!!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You're a misery moo today Dave! :p

The idea is perhaps that the game is all about the story as much as it is the puzzles?

I played through DOTT and S&M multiple times, even though I know exactly how to do them. I just enjoy the quality of the story telling.

Okay, so I agree that personally it's about spending days wracking your brains trying to solve a fiendish puzzle, but for some people, they just want to be entertained not frustrated.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Yer, TellTale have said that before. They'd rather you like the game and keep buying than to be frustrated and never buy again.

A great example of that system is A Vampyre Story. A superb game, but some of the puzzles are 1000 times harder than any Monkey Island game, however they are doable because of the hint system.

I had it off for A Vampyre Story, but the bit in the lab just completely threw me and I spent days on it before I turned to the hint system.

I didn't have it on for Tales of Monkey Island either. I understand how Telltale think and how their games work because I've been playing them since the company started.

Yay for being a loyal customer, and they rewarded me for it too. They gave me the new Sam n Max series for free. All of them, and a Strongbad episode, can you believe that? No other games company would do that!

TellTale <3

mrclam

Giga Poster
divvie_dave said:
Also, is it just me, or does the hint mechanism kinda ruin the idea of this kind of game?

No-one is forcing you to use it.. just like no-one is forcing you to go to gamefaqs if you get stuck...

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
^ Thats the exact answer I got earlier when I was trying to debate this with a friend.

I hate getting stuck, but its so much more rewarding when you finally get it. Opposed to reading it somewhere and carrying on.

But, I know this argument has too many sides to it :)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I've just bought Monkey Island SE. ITS AMAZING!!!!!
I can;t believe how well they've remade a classic, though one dig - The controlls are a bit lame but its soon put in the background of my mind.