What's new

"Swarm: D-Day" - Trip Reports

Mark

Strata Poster
Just got home and realised we needed a topic for it...

So yes, lament your thoughts on the day here...

marc

CF Legend
CF: LIVE - Swarm: D-Day - Trip Reports

Proper comments tomorrow and a report but feel I have to say something.

What a great day and great group of people.

The day was so relaxed and the ert for me just topped it off. Swarm is fantastic.

Thanks Ian and Thorpe for the ert and the whole day.

the king

Mega Poster
A great day it was and thanks Ian for organising it. The Swarm was a incredible ride, which has now topped my list. Those inversions were great to experience on both sides, but the first drop is just incredible. Left is my best side.

kimahri

CF Legend
*Lathargic and apathetic noises* Swarm is fab. Ian I love you forever, have my children I intended to give to Phil. He not cool enough for them anymore.

WildMouse

Roller Poster
Ian. Thanks once again for inviting our group (southparks.org-reunited) to join in with your Swarm ERT session. We all really appreciated this extremely kind gesture. :--D Nice to meet the few of you that I got round to chatting to.

To me, The Swarm = best coaster at Thorpe Park (especially the outer back left seat). For some reason, I wasn't particularly impressed with my first ride in the morning. But by the end of the ERT session, I had fallen head over heels in love with it. :--D

I guess you could say that this was my first CF Live (albeit bitesize). It's only taken me 8 years. :p :lol:

edit: amendment

Mark

Strata Poster
Back left, Front right, I really can't decide which seat I liked the most. I echo the sentiments that Swarm has easily taken the role of best coaster at Thorpe. It was really odd, as I have always loved Inferno, but to a degree, it just felt a bit meh compared to The Swarm. That is something I never thought I would say.

I wouldn't go quite as far as saying that it is the best coaster in the Uk BUT it has certainly come in at 2nd and will probably take a place in my overall Top 10. Need to have a think about that though.

Many thanks to Ian and Thorpe for a fantastic day and the fantabulous ERT.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Thanks again Ian for everything, plus the ERT on top of that. The small amount of people that I talked to were really lovely!

I definately think Swarm is the best coaster in the park now. However my one down point is the restraints. They pressed on my chest and shoulders really tightly. That may be because of the amount of rides on it though, because I don't remember this on our first ride in the morning. Apart from that, fab ride!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
An epic day thanks to Ian and Thorpe for the ERT. I think front left is best seat, back right is the most intense so is the second best seat.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Another great live, and again thanks to Ian for organising the ERT - it was really nice of them to offer it to a small group on the opening weekend!

Was a stupidly long day - getting up at 3:30am for the 4:50 coach, and getting back at 3ish! did manage some snoozies on the coach each way though!

Got into the park at about quarter to 10, surprised to see a lot of the rides up and running and thought The Swarm queue didn't look too long yet, so I could probably sneak in a quick go before the official meet up at half 10 - WRONG - it was about half an hour before we reached the bridge under the lift hill, plus another half hour the other side of the lift hill!! first ride was row 7, right hand side, inner seat - had some nice air and hangtime - enjoyed it and couldn't wait until the ERS

whilst waiting for the rest of the group to get on, I had a spin on detonator which was almost walk on, and as punchy as usual, the queue for inferno looked quite long, so I went back to swarm to meet up - could have got on as swarm had a minor breakdown whilst waiting, but the trip was mainly about The Swarm ERT so hey ho..

Restraints wise - as I mentioned in the planning thread, I was a bit concerned about squeezing in, and even more so when I saw the length of the belt strap on the test seat - however the seats themselves are deep and comfortable, and I fitted in no problems waist wise, thigh wise I had a good inch or 2 clearance there too!

It was then lunch, so I had a chilli pot (which was rather small), a spin on samurai (mmm - but did make me a little queasy) and a choc covered marshmallow kebab! (strangely , something ridiculously sweet after a spin ride makes me feel a bit less queasy!)

then onto stealth with the group, after a bizarre performance outside the queue entrance - still has a nice buzz - can't wait to get the KK and TTD creds in june! and I seem to enjoy inferno more and more each time I ride it! row 2 gave some nice forces

And then one of the days highlights was the only heavy shower of the day coinciding with Sue and co's ride on slammer! it started just as the ride started, and finished, pretty much when the ride finished!!

next up was saw - Still don't get all the hate directed at it - I've never experienced more than a minor ear bashing, and I really enjoyed yesterdays ride - I love the indoor bit, and I think outdoors is a great layout!

after shop time, it was the ERS, Only did 4 rides - think I was feeling the effects of the cold and early start.

general comments - right hand side is best for "forces", left for "airtime", I found suprisingly little difference between the back and middle on the right. back left gave really good airtime, and front left gave a ride quite unlike anything I've experienced before! The ride makes my top 10 list, but I would be surprised if it's still there after uslive times!

Thanks to furie for the lift to the station. AJ, Tks and I met some lovely charming little children at the station - 3 teenagers, throwing various insults, and what we think was wads of wet toilet roll at other passengers (me and AJ both got one, as did another on the platform) - they then got on the train and walked through the coaches doing the same. Think they got off at the first stop - one of the staff at staines gave them a couple of tickings off saying they were being "watched at waterloo" but it had no effect.

kimahri

CF Legend
Those Battle Royale Rejects were actually incredibly **** annoying. Just remembered their existance now. Ugh.

Beans

Hyper Poster
Even though I only rode Swarm had a great day because of the people I was with. Thanks Ian for getting ERT, thanks Neil and Courtney for letting us in for ERT and console view, poor Neil wasn't expecting to be interviewed.
Richard I forgive you, found another small reminder of your prank when I got home. Nic enjoyed being Beansie in queuie, on Swarmie at Thorpey, near Chertsey in Surrey. LOL (just to please Ian and Mark).

ERT and riding Swarmie in the dark was Epic, felt so much more forceful, but I suppose the rain could have helped as well. Glad everyone liked my advice with back left being the best seat, I also do like back right and front left and right. in fact I don't think it rides bad at all in most seats, I now favour it as my favourite British ride. Well done Thorpe for your excellent choice of ride at the park.

Sorry forgot to add group shots

DSC00664.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00659.jpg

Mark

Strata Poster
^ Tehe Beansie... "Who threw that bottle at me"...

For those who weren't there...

Stone Cold tucked my Dr Pepper bottle into Tinas (Beans) hood. She didn't notice for a bit until it dropped out. She then proceeded to look all around her for signs of anyone who had "thrown" the bottle at her. She then said, "I'm not falling for that one again" just moments before Stone Cold managed to get a Mikado box in her hood too..... Fun times :p

Beans

Hyper Poster
Haha, I was on my guard after that, rolled my hood into the jacket, he eventually landed the box in Nic's hood. Cheeky Mr Stone Cold.....

peep

CF Legend
Mark said:
^ Tehe Beansie... "Who threw that bottle at me"...

For those who weren't there...

Stone Cold tucked my Dr Pepper bottle into Tinas (Beans) hood. She didn't notice for a bit until it dropped out. She then proceeded to look all around her for signs of anyone who had "thrown" the bottle at her. She then said, "I'm not falling for that one again" just moments before Stone Cold managed to get a Mikado box in her hood too..... Fun times :p

Lol, I wondered what that was all about.

Had a really great day despite the miserable weather. That has to be one of the best ERT sessions ever, it was just great fun and everyone was just running round and enjoying themselves, brilliant stuff. Thanks to Ian and Thorpe for organising that for all of us, really appreciate it.

Swarm is definitely one of my favourite coasters, it was just enjoyable and weirdly intense in some seats. As always the day wouldn't have been anywhere as good as it was without the people, just had a good laugh and it was just so relaxed.

marc

CF Legend
"Swarm: D-Day" - Trip Reports

Just also want to say thanks to the ride ops that ran the ride in the ert, all had smiles and really got involved.

Karen

Hyper Poster
Excellent day even with the rain!

Cheers to Furie, Ian and great company.

Pizza Hut was far too busy but the staff were coping well :)

Swarm was fantastic fun.

Far too tired for anymore tonight!

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Since I'd already been on The Swarm lots on the 15th and 16th, for me the Live was all about catching up with everyone I hadn't seen for ages.

The rain didn't dampen the mood at all, and the ERT was amazing (although spending the entire ERT with Scarlet meant my already weak and faded voice was lost even more thanks to excessive laughter!). I already thanked him a few times in person, but thanks again to Ian for getting it for the group (wine works a charm, right?:wink:), and to all the Thorpe staff for putting up with all of us!

May as well share my thoughts on Swarm...personally I think it's the best in the park (although front row on Colossus post-rain did make me change my mind momentarily), it's certainly way more intense and speedy than I expected. I honestly can't pick a favourite seat, they all have their own qualities. I think one of the best things about it is just how re-rideable it is. Not all the effects are present yet, but the current ones like the water splashes are epic, really adds to the sense of speed on the tight helix by the helicopter if you're on the right-hand edge seat. Still not a Nemesis beater, but close!

I honestly don't know what happened to my voice, I think it was a nasty combination of a cold and shouting on Swarm - so apologies to anyone who had to try to understand me!

Ahhh, CF-Lives <3

Scarlet

Mega Poster
I had a fabulous day! Swarm ERT really made up for long queues and the awful on-off rain, which really spites glamour in every which way.

I don't "get" all the technical sides of things with coasters anymore, I've forgotten all names of elements, don't know how to describe what coasters do so I can only really say that Swarm is fabulous! What an amazing addition to a local park and I really enjoyed something so new to me personally.

There was endless banter and laughs which mean I always go home feeling satisfied and exhausted. But yes the ERT really did it for me and made me feel part of Coasterforce again.

I guess I'll try and rake up some things...

- Bantering with Richard throughout and escaping his heavy hand due to being frail.
- Nic's scary "instant varicosity" above the knee :O
- Tim turning up and providing endless dry amusement in a wet environment
- Seeing Matt again after years (and a 180)
- Riding Stealth with Ian dans le back
- Screaming Amanda Thompson throughout Swarm with Nic
- Staff member Sebastian grovelling for my forgiveness
- ERT with Fraser <3 it was SO FAB
- Ian on The Swarm sound system <3
- The Dome toilets pummelling me with war and devastation sound effects </3 How can you perform any kind of fluid exit with that?
- Having Kim and Joey as house guests .... oh Kim you oddity <3
- Having a singular ride on Det with John <3 <3 Thank you John!
- Both Will and I avoiding regression <3
- Seeing ED, mingling with ALEX and the MARC/KS
- Driving Alex and Ed to Staines to the tune of COUNTESS LUANN <3 <3
- Giving Sue some homework <3 Wanting to give her the HUGE Stealth rock assignment.
- GOON-FREE!
- Sue's mountainous toilet roll discovery <3
- Tina's camera having a gagging order <3<3<3

I think that's enough but yes, although I did it on the back of a nasty flu virus I'm so pleased I did and feel really refreshed and part of something with a lot of great people again, thanks everyone and Ian especially for organisation and maintaining an overall likeable and positive image of the group.