What's new

Superman: Ride of Steel... 2?

Ben

CF Legend
http://www.sixflags.com/newEngland/info/News_SupermanRideOfSteelRelaunch.aspx

It would appear that after X2, Six Flags is branching out the concept to Superman Ride of Steel up at SFNE.

Six Flags New England Announces Major Transformation

Six Flags New England announced today plans to reinvent what has already been named the best Steel Coaster on the Planet, according to Amusement Today, the nation's leading theme park industry publication. Since its debut in 2000, SUPERMAN: Ride of Steel has electrified guests from around the world. In 2009, this incredible machine will be redesigned with imaginative special effects and newly renovated trains. The transformation will be complete by Memorial Day.

“Six Flags is regarded as the undisputed leader in thrill ride innovation and at Six Flags New England we're taking that reputation to the next level,” said Larry Litton, Park President. “The coaster that separates itself from all others will deliver an unprecedented ride experience.”

Going above and beyond traditional steel coasters, this state-of-the-art invention will undergo a revolutionary makeover. The adventure will send riders up 20 stories while flying through fog banks, fire bursts and heart-pumping audio for three minutes and twenty two seconds of extreme thrills.

The re-launch of SUPERMAN: Ride of Steel will mark the start of another exciting season as Six Flags
New England cements its position as the area's premier “daycation” destination. The park offers fun for every member of the family with world class shows, three children's areas —Wiggles World, Thomas Town and Looney Tunes Movie Town and New England's largest water park, Hurricane Harbor — with park admission.

Guests can experience all that Six Flags New England has to offer with a 2009 Season Pass. This purchase offers the best value with unlimited visits to the theme park and water park and comes with a coupon book featuring over $300 in special offers including free concerts and 5 Bring-A-Friend-Free tickets. A Season Pass can be used at all Six Flags Theme Parks throughout the country and are now on sale. Purchase at sixflags.com for the lowest price of the season — $69.99, and enjoy the remainder of the 2008 season including all the thrills and chills of Fright Fest presented by Snickers®.

I say good - those trains are horrible and the ride doesn't ride that well, and an improvement on the look of it would be more then welcome.

Swat

Mega Poster
Please no fire and the Superman theme song blasting in your ears all the way round.

Snoo

The Legend
Could use some paint.. but drop the fire and sound. The ride is perfectly fine without it.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Sounds like a good upgrade!

Although if the ride is that good anyway, it probably won't make much difference.

But the fire and audio effects have gone down really well on X2.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
"Never change a winning team".
Six Flags now have the perfect opportunity to ruin the ride. Tunnels and effects aren't good. Once the effects malfunction, they'll have to close off the tunnel (and thus the ride) if they want to fix it.

But new layer of paint is very, very good. Let's hope Six Flags have bought some tons in different colours, so that they can repaint every ride they own. That alone would have been great news.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
At least I'm not the only one who thinks this is probably a really bad plan.

Superman is already a really good coaster. Admittedly some good quality themeing could probably make the ride even better - but these proposed changes just sound like really lame gimmicks.

Comet

Roller Poster
I swear if these new trains have those awful Intamin OTSR...
I'll take a paint job on Superman and Thunderbolt with new trains on either Mind Eraser or Boomerang over this easily, probably for less money too. I really don't understand where this idea is coming from, they could re-theme Mind Eraser to fit into Gotham City if they want to advertise an old ride as new and it would probably be just as successful.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Not a great idea in my opinion. It's consistantly voted as the number 1 or 2 coaster in the world, so why **** with that?

It would make far more sense to do this to a less popular coaster, as opposed to one that probably couldn't be any more popular than it is already.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
I don't know how much this will improve this coaster.
Sure, paint will make the ride look stunning again, and the new trains should give it a smoother ride.

The adventure will send riders up 20 stories while flying through fog banks, fire bursts and heart-pumping audio for three minutes
The ride already has plenty of fog banks, and fire bursts? Are you kidding me!?!?! That's just a major cop of of X2 (of course I guess six flags tends to to that on every thing, becides coaster names)

And the audio. I'm totally against that.
No, NO hyper coaster needs music to make it a good ride. Nor will it inhanse the ride experience.

I think this whole makeover deal is quite stupid. (becides the paint and trains! ;) )

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I agree with you that it won't harm what seems to be a fantastic coaster, but it's just so pointless.

A mediocre ride could be made into a very good one with those kinds of effects, so why not do it there instead of with a coaster which, by many people's estimations, cannot be improved upon?

Ben

CF Legend
To be fair, this year it felt to me like it was running below how it usually does, and that's the sentiments of a lot of people who had ridden it before that I spoke to. Rattling round the course, horrid restraints, that sort of thing, can all be improved to take it from the mediocre-for-Superman back to the Superman it perhaps used to be.

Comet

Roller Poster
I agree that I don't know how this would ruin the ride besides if they add OTSR or something.

But that's not the point. The point is this is the number one coaster in the world it doesn't need new trains as the ones that it has now are making it #1, however Mind Eraser could definitely use this as there are new trains on the market for SLC's that improve them greatly and they could use new effects and paint to theme it to Joker or something so it actually fits in Gotham City.
Superman really only needs new paint...

I just hope this is Six Flags making up for TDK mishap last year and that they will also be adding something new to the park to get the football field and golf course out of the DC Comic area.

I don't see why people are having hissy fits, like, I don't see what is wrong with adding more effects. Just because the ride is awesome as it is, doesn't mean an improvement will hurt it. It might not improve it too much since it's already amazing as it is, but it can't really hurt it!

Also, does anyone know if the trains will still have the ankle bar things?

A

Anonymous

They made an X2, so what the hell's wrong with a Superman 2?

Besides Superman is better than X anyways.

- DS92

Comet

Roller Poster
^That's what's wrong with it, X needed it and Superman doesn't.

And LFTL I don't know of anybody having a hissy fit concerning the fact that it will ruin the ride or it won't help, because it obviously will, what we're saying is not that this whatever million dollars is being wasted, but it could be used much more wisely on another ride in the park.

Snoo

The Legend
Meh, as UC said.. as long as they don't change the elements.. I'm fine.

Of course.. throwing a new generation Intamin train on there couldn't hurt.. as those restraints suck.

QWERTYkid911

Roller Poster
I doubt it will make any difference at all. I find this thread funny in the fact that everyone hated the idea until Ultimate Coaster made his statement. Then, everybody started agreeing with him. :)

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I don't see why people are having hissy fits, like, I don't see what is wrong with adding more effects. Just because the ride is awesome as it is, doesn't mean an improvement will hurt it. It might not improve it too much since it's already amazing as it is, but it can't really hurt it!

Well, why redo a wonderfully built ride, when you can start "putting" money towards a new one. :wink: (as comet said)

Also, does anyone know if the trains will still have the ankle bar things?

Your talking about X2 right?
Yes I believe they are gone.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooTbx_AwyFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=get9SEqKmxM

But you said if the new trains WILL.
Are you talking about Superman Ride of Steel?
Intamin hyper coasters don't have "ankle bar things" (unless I'm on crack)

Taylor, this isn't even confirmed news. How the hell you'd think any of us know what the new trains - if there are such things - would have is beyond me.

Oh, okay, well I dunno. And Jacob, I was talking about Superman's trains, not X's.

Well, why redo a wonderfully built ride, when you can start "putting" money towards a new one. (as comet said)

That's like saying why would you continue to teach someone smart when you can put education towards dumb people. You wanna keep improving upon the best, and Superman is one of the best coasters out there, so why not try to push it that much further, make it a bit better.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
That's like saying why would you continue to teach someone smart when you can put education towards dumb people. You wanna keep improving upon the best, and Superman is one of the best coasters out there, so why not try to push it that much further, make it a bit better.

Yes, but how much better will it make this ride? Its already a superve ride. I don't think adding music, and fire shots, will improve it that much at all. (or even be worth the money)

So why spend tons of money teaching a english major (person) subtraction. (sorry that didn't sound right)
When you can spend a little more on a person majoring in math. (There you go, in your terms. ;) )