What's new

Study Abroad- UK

Martyn

Giga Poster
furie said:
On the plus side, you've got Will 15 minutes one side of it and me 15 minutes the other :lol:

And me right in the middle... oh wait.

I used to work on the Keele campus. It was alright. It always seemed like it was a bit out of the way though.

Ben

CF Legend
Don't go to Leicester, you're white so you'll get like, stabbed.

Go to Covhole, it's nearest me <3

Well, actually, by then I will be back in London, so, Kingston <3

Hertfordshire's nice though. So is Keele.

But, base it off how close you are too me.

Will

Strata Poster
tks said:
Kingston. Good, if not great location. Not so many great things to say about the university itself.
Spot on - to reitterate, genuinely perfect location - you can't get much closer to London without being IN London, making life expensive and crowded. I don't remember much about the University to be honest, but foreign students aren't a minority - if anything, I was the minority as a Caucasian male in SW London!

Keele - it's no London, but it's not a bad part of the world, and I wouldn't say it's that remote, but that could be because I'm used to it, living 5 miles or so away. There's enough stuff on site to keep you entertained, but the transport's not marvellous and I can imagine the effort of trying to get to a train station or a decent shop would wear thin pretty quickly...

Don't go to Leicester, you're white so you'll get like, stabbed.

Go to Covhole, it's nearest me <3

Well, actually, by then I will be back in London, so, Kingston <3

Hertfordshire's nice though. So is Keele.

But, base it off how close you are too me.

Kingston is probably my top choice right now. The price is a bit more than most of the unis for accommodation, but I think it would be worth it. Keele's accom is dirt cheap which is appealing but I don't like how much it reminds me of my old uni, which was gross and vile. London is amazing and I really want to live there or near there once I'm done uni so I figure this would be a nice taste of what it's like at least.

And I'd clearly put on my application that my reason for choosing Kingston is "to be close to Ben." :p

nadroJ

CF Legend
^You should also mention that other CFers have been there before you, so you should be allowed in by default.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Derby isn't too far from London at all really, Tay. I mean, it takes about an hour and a half or two hours on the train, it's ideally placed for all the theme parks in the midlands (and London ones really) and all the other major cities aside from London (Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow, Bristol, Cardiff etc all have direct train routes that pass through Derby).

The night life is also very decent (not as good as Southampton, but as that's not your choice any more, it can go **** itself as Southampton Solent is a **** :p) and there's a lot of history and culture within the city itself. It's also in - what I have only recently discovered - one of the most aesthetically stunning places I've ever been to in the UK. There's a lot more aside from cities and **** near my uni than I ever realised.

It's a reasonably cheap place to live as well, and certainly cheaper than most other unis in the UK. The student accommodation (if that's what you are planning on moving into) is superb value and superb in terms of what it offers and how accommodating it is.

I didn't like Derby when I first decided to come, but the more I open my eyes and look, the more I'm starting to love it.

Negatives of Derby: I'll be there for at least 2 more years, so you may have to encounter me at some point.

^ I know you've obviously had more experience in Derby than me, but the time I spent there, I thought it looked like a bit of a dump to be honest. Two hours is quite far on the train though especially as I expect to spend a fairly decent amount of time in London. The student life does look really good in Derby though, it's just the city that is relatively off-putting and the university didn't look that nice either.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I don't know much but Lancaster Uni is a nice uni. There's a bus station right in the middle with frequent buses to Lancaster Station, a little on-site hotel for visitors, great acomodation and is generally a very nice uni. Especcialy around the onsite sports centre, the campus is vey much like a town park as well. If you want more info, talk to my brother about it. He just finished a history and politics degree there.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ This means nothing to anybody but me and Taylor, BUT, Claire goes to Lancaster, Tay.

(and you can't go there as your uni won't let you anyway :p)

Yeah, I appreciate the advice but Lancaster is not an accepted study abroad uni for the university I go to now. The list I provided on the first page is the list of universities we're affiliated with in England!

Also, Ciall, like I want to go somewhere Claire is going :p . We'd surely be bffls ;)

Mike

Giga Poster
I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but I'm studying at Hertfordshire at the moment, and the place is a dump...

Well, the university's ok, but the Hatfield area is chavtastically awful. On the plus side though, Hatfield station is 25 minutes away from Kings Cross.

The Business School campus (de Havilland) has excellent sports facilities, a student bar (which I've never been into), far superior halls of residence (ensuite + personal fridge), a good cafeteria and fairly large library, and is also where the International Office is located. However, with the opening of a Law School on the same campus last year, the place is now horribly overcrowded, and prices for food/drink/accommodation is fairly ludicrous.

The main campus, College Lane, is a free shuttle bus trip away, and is the much larger campus containing mainly the same stuff as de Hav, but without the sports centre and with a three-story nightclub/winebar/cafeteria facility instead.

Teaching at both campus is mediocre at best and fluctuates wildly with whom's teaching you. By far the worst thing about the university is the intranet system they have in place called StudyNet. It's impossible to find anything on it, and once you do it's more than likely out of date, although it does have a good online library on it though.

So, yeah, it's in an awful area, and most of what you can find in Hertfordshire you can probably find executed much better at other universities.
You can easily get into London from there though, and don't worry about bumping into me at all because I'll hopefully be long gone by then. :)

The applications start for this in about two weeks and I still have no idea. My top three choices are Kingston, Leicester, and Coventry. Kingston mostly is for the location because I am in love with London, Leicester because it looks nice and because it's the only one that offers both classical studies as well as history, and Coventry because the location is decent and the student life looks good. Kingston is obviously a little more expensive, but I'm willing to pay a little more for it especially since my normal student loans should be covering most of this.

Dilemma </3

EDIT- Putting Kingston as my first choice, Mannheim as my second, and Leicester as my third. I apply in like two weeks and have to go through all this hooplah about why studying there would be good for my career (a career which I don't even have in mind yet ahaa) and whatever, but I'm sure I can bs a good answer.

^ Yeah that's my first choice and I'm really basing my application paragraphs on why I should go there. I'll probably end up posting my answers when I'm fully done them just for advice or whatever.