What's new

Stand-up coasters hurt!

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Ok, so I have been wondering if there's a way to ride a standup coaster without feeling like your feet are going to explode. I want to ride them to get a credit or two, but I'm not really sure if its worth it. Any tips on how to ride a standup coaster without feeling leg pains?

jolash

Mega Poster
Well it most certainly is always worth it. I'd even ride a TOGO stand-up for another credit. But unfortunately I don't know of any "tricks" around it. Stand-ups will probably always suck; they're all at the bottom of my list. You just gotta endure.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I find if I bend my knees slightly, pull the OTSR down as tight as possible and keep my head forward, the ride is less painful.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I have only had that feet exploding feeling when my feet were not completely flat on the floor, and i did that on purpose so i would see what stand-up floorless coaster would feel like :). After the pain of the ride i definitely regretted it.

Apart from the time above, which was my fault i have never had a problem with stand-up coasters hurting my feet, it tends to be the roughness that causes my dislike for them (shockwave and Vortex at CGA are pretty nasty). Don't knock stand-up coasters though until you have tried Riddlers Revenge. I know that not everyone likes it, but i find it smooth, relatively comfortable and has a unique layout for a B&M Multi Looper and it is still one of my top coasters

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ian said:
I find if I bend my knees slightly, pull the OTSR down as tight as possible and keep my head forward, the ride is less painful.
Bingo.

The trick I use is to bend my knees slightly when the OTSR is being positioned. Once the restraints have been locked, stand upright, pressing your shoulders into the restraint. This allows your feet to be well planted, your groin to not be resting on the seat (another comfort problem), and head not to be bashed around.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Hyde244 said:
Ian said:
The trick I use is to bend my knees slightly when the OTSR is being positioned. Once the restraints have been locked, stand upright, pressing your shoulders into the restraint. This allows your feet to be well planted, your groin to not be resting on the seat (another comfort problem), and head not to be bashed around.
Nail-on-head.

P.S - Banshee's not at Cedar Point Hyde, or was that intentional?

Casio

Mega Poster
I've only been on two (Shockwave and Riddler's) but I found it was just down to the ride. The thing with the restraints on a stand-up is that they're not very restrictive, so you're open to a lot of rattling. This was my problem on Riddler's, and though I expected to love it, I found it to be really unpleasant. Shockwave on the other hand was fine; I guess it's a lot more linear so there are fewer laterals, but I also sat down a lot more on it; maybe that's another way of doing it?

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
They def take practice. Others have given the formula I use.

I also second (or third?) Riddler's Revenge is easily the best Stand-Up I have been on. Great ride.

Mike

Giga Poster
I'm 6 foot, and I've found they all hurt no matter how you stand, whether it be yours legs or your head!

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
From someone who's done Shockwave over 100 times now, I find the best way to ride a stand up coaster is to hold on very tight and force your feet against the floor. If you can just keep your feet flat on the floor, it shouldn't be too painful.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
delpiero1982 said:
P.S - Banshee's not at Cedar Point Hyde, or was that intentional?

Mantis was originally to be called Banshee, but it met some protests by religious groups I believe. So they changed the name to Mantis.

Taxi

Mega Poster
Stand up coasters aren't bad. The restraints are the only problem, or the transitions need to less "snappy".

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Mike said:
I'm 6 foot, and I've found they all hurt no matter how you stand, whether it be yours legs or your head!
I'm 6 foot 3, and I've found that they do not hurt given the correct riding position. :razz: