Spiders... to kill or not to kill!

When I see a spider in my house...

• I kill it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I leave it alone.

• Pick it up and put it ouside.

• Comedy option for twats: I cover it in mayo and let it crawl around my private parts.

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I was reading in bed last night and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a biggish spider crawling on the wall next to the bed.

I jumped out of bed and threw my book at it to kill it.

However, I threw like a girl and missed. The spider scuttled away down the side of the bed.

I'm not scared of spiders, I just don't like them in my space. I couldn't sleep in my bed last night knowing it was there so I slept downstairs on the sofa.

I think it goes back to when I was younger and I read a newspaper story about a bint-spider that had laid eggs in some chaps ear as he was sleeping and that's spooked me out since.

I'll get to the point.

This topic is not 'are you scared of spiders', it's what do you do if you see one.

Do you leave it be? Do you kill it? Do you pick it up and release it outside?

I usually go for the kill and flush it down the loo, or hoover it up.

What do you do?

jayjay

Giga Poster
I always leave it alone. It didn't do anything to me, and it won't do anything. The only tme I'll attempt to remove it from the house is if my sister nags me.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
danielfitzgerald99 said:
There is no option for scream like a little girl and run away.

You're right, but you could put that under the "I'll leave it alone" option as you are leaving it alone.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I pick it up on a piece of paper, in a cup or with my hands and chuck it outside.

I do that for Spiders, Daddy-Long-Legs and Moths etc. :p

I kill mosquitoes. :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
If I can, I'll pick it up and put it out. If not, I'll let it be (say it's up on the ceiling or something).

If madame_furie has seen it - it's a goner, but I have to do it - she won't entertain the idea of me missing, and it going into hiding. I prefer to use the hoover, as I hate the cold blooded crunching of exo-skeleton when you squish them in a tissue. I hate killing them, but I hate madame_furie screaming at me more :lol:

I had the same as you once Ian, bloody huge thing sat reading over my shoulder one night - I caught the little **** though and chucked it out - it's always a better option than trying to kill it and failing :lol:

Ben

CF Legend
90% of the spiders we get in this house are in the sink/shower, so if they are there, the taps go on, and I just wait.

However, if they're anyway else, I have to man up, and smash them with a copy of Cosmo.

So, they die either way, but the method varies.

Lain

Giga Poster
I leave them alone. Their presence doesn't bother me or anything, so as long as they're not trying to kill me, all is well.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
90% of the spiders we get in this house are in the sink/shower, so if they are there, the taps go on, and I just wait. So, they die either way, but the method varies.

You do realise they don't die if you wash them down the plug hole don't you? When water hits a spider, it folds it's legs around itself, and causes an air bubble to form around itself using the surface tension of the water.

When it goes down the plughole, it always 'bobs' to the top of the water going down - then when you stop the water flow, they uncurl onto the surface of the water, and incy wincy their way back up the water spout. If you've put the plug in, they crawl up the over flow instead. 90% of the spider's in your house are the same spider! ;)

Ben said:
However, if they're anyway else, I have to man up, and smash them with a copy of Cosmo.

LOL!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
spiderman_furie said:
When it goes down the plughole, it always 'bobs' to the top of the water going down - then when you stop the water flow, they uncurl onto the surface of the water, and incy wincy their way back up the water spout. If you've put the plug in, they crawl up the over flow instead.

Does the incy wincy thing work if you use hot water?

I use hot water hoping to scould or shock the thing to death.

Emmett

Giga Poster
I try and catch the thing and then chuck it out the door or window. I'm afraid of killing them as I believe in all that bad luck associated with spiders.

But throwing them outside probably does that anyway.

A

Anonymous

I would either leave it alone or take it out side depending on were it is.

Mainly i just watch them scuttle around. when I lived at my mums the cats used to pounce on them n toy with um.

Tho if it was late at night i probo wpuld smush um with a mag or dvd case.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't actually know Ian - David Attenborough didn't tell me that on the spider episode of Wildlife on One! I think boiling water would do the trick?

Bleach works, as it destroys the exo-skeleton, but it takes a while and isn't a pleasant death for the poor little arachnid :(

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've done some research myself and hot water will kill them.

Snoo

The Legend
This comes down size.

A small spider.. meh.. let it go.. harmless.
A ****ing huge jumping bastard.. kill it.. before I scream any louder.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I leave it alone.

We do get some huge, hairy house spiders, but I leave them. The normal house spiders sort out the flies! They got a job to do!

The ones that are about 3 inches wide are great to watch!

Dave

CF Legend
I'm 50/50. If its in my room and im trying to sleep i'll kill the bastard.

But if its in the kitchen or living room i'll catch it and throw it out.

Ollie

CF Legend
I either leave it, or put it outside.

If it's a small one then I use a cup and some paper so I don't accidentally squish it.
But if it's a big one then I just pick it up and carry it outside. :p

Creepy crawlies don't bother me after years living on a farm. :lol: