What's new

Space Mountain (Florida) vs Space Mountain (California)

Space Mountain (Florida) or Space Mountain (California)?

• Florida

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • California

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tied

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Edward M

Strata Poster
Two iconic indoor roller coasters pitted against each other. Which is better?

I am going to keep it to just Florida and California as they are the most widely known.

Mike

Giga Poster
Apparently the Florida version has recently been extensively trimmed, killing any speed the ride used to have...

Nevertheless, as I haven't ridden it with the new trims, I'm going to go with Orlando's Space Mountain. I love how compact it all is and how snug the seats are, it feels like you're really flitting around the track with an out-of-control feeling.

I do like California's version (which was pretty much identical to Hong Kong's), but it feels slightly more drawn out and predictable than Florida's.

Paris definitely has the worst version, with a launch that barely makes it over the hill, a few dull inversions and a generally rattly ride.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
MK. I've been in constant confusion as to how people find the new version and Disneyland fun. It's a bunch or boring helices. No drops no unexpected turns or moments of airtime.

The Magic Kingdom variation on the other hand has unexpected dips and turns, a good sense of speed and pace, and just a fun out of control feeling.

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
I think Magic Kingdom's is better. It has a better layout and a more out of control feel. Also, it has some great airtime and is more unpredictable.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
While my comparison is before Magic Kingdom's 2009 revision, I will gladly put my vote for Disneyland. The old-school Arrow design of Magic Kingdom was nostalgic, but I was blown away by the on-board sound system and ride experience at Disneyland. Trains sat with better comfort as well.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Hyde244 said:
While my comparison is before Magic Kingdom's 2009 revision, I will gladly put my vote for Disneyland. The old-school Arrow design of Magic Kingdom was nostalgic, but I was blown away by the on-board sound system and ride experience at Disneyland. Trains sat with better comfort as well.

Track wise it's the same as before the renovation, not sure what else was updated. The renovation did make it a shot ton smoother though

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ In that case, I actually did enjoy the Disneyland layout over Magic Kingdom.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
California is better themed, on board sound, and much, much smoother. While it may be a tamer ride, that's enough for a win to me. No contest.

I think things would get more interesting comparing WDW Space with CA's Matterhorn... that's a much more similar comparison in terms of ride quality. Even then, I think Matterhorn would win with the very immersive theming and non-identical tracks.