What's new

Son of Beast being modified by company

DropZone99

Mega Poster
http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/oxford- ... 07408.html

MASON — The Son of Beast will remain idle for this season, Kings Island announced Thursday evening, March 18.

The world’s tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster has caused trouble for the amusement park since it opened in 2000 and has cost nearly $30 million for construction and subsequent repairs, according to the Kings Island vice president and general manager, Greg Scheid.

When the park opens April 17, park goers will find Planet Snoopy – a new kids’ area themed to Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the rest of the PEANUTS gang – and major thrill rides but no Son of Beast.

On June 23, 2009, the coaster was abruptly shut down for the year after a 39-year-old Mason woman reported she had a burst blood vessel in her brain as a result of riding the coaster.

Scheid said he’s not ready to give up on the major investment just yet. Structurally, he said the ride is sound but he is not pleased with the thrill ride’s performance.

Since the roller coaster opened, six incidents involving injury have been reported. After each incident, the Ohio Department of Agriculture, which oversees all amusement park rides in the state, has inspected the ride and cleared it for reopening.

Scheid said he has asked three engineering firms to submit proposals for a long-term fix. One firm’s proposal was unsatisfactory, he said, and he is waiting for the others.

Last fall, a forensic engineer provided video testimony in a civil lawsuit that Kings Island was “negligent” and “put passengers at risk” by using a Band-Aid approach to fixing the ride.

Jennifer Wright of Defiance sued park owners Cedar Fair after she and 26 others were injured on the ride July 7, 2006.

The jury awarded Wright $76,364 in compensatory damages, and then park officials struck an undisclosed settlement with Wright on punitive damages, before the jury could hear the engineer’s testimony.

Scheid said the park hasn’t talked about tearing down the ride.

“It’s more of a how do we make it right,” he said.

I knew it! One of my good friends told me this back in June of 2009, and it looks like he was right! I've heard GCII, TGG, and I don't remember the other one. Supposedly GCII was the one who had the unsatisfactory decision from Kings Island. Remember though, this is just what a friend of mine told me. I'm NOT saying it is true, or that you should believe it, I just felt like it was worth posting!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
6 major injuries in total?

What were these injuries? Because 6 within the 8/9 years the ride was open for 6 odd months a year isn't exactly a lot?

Error

Strata Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
6 major injuries in total?

What were these injuries? Because 6 within the 8/9 years the ride was open for 6 odd months a year isn't exactly a lot?

Try six CASES of injury, as one of them was with a trainful of riders. It has the worst safety record I know of.

But it's a good thing, the ride wasn't exactly smooth with I rode it.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Well that report didn't exactly state that did it?

Having never ridden it I cannot say much though... But if this gets redone, so should Mean Streak...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Joe, just remember, you rode it on a day when it was running like a dream. I thought it was a lot smoother than normal. Just imagine how it would be if it was running like normal?

Snoo

The Legend
I don't know what you guys are talking about.. it sucked big donkey balls that day.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Son of Beast is not being modified.

The only possibility would be to use the Iron Horse Coaster track system, which is too much for Cedar Fair's budget.

RCF

Strata Poster
^Yeah supposedly they're looking into that but they may wait and see how TG does. But like you said, even if TG does do well, for a coaster that size, I don't think Cedar Fair could manage it.

metalhead7

Mega Poster
wow... this doesnt suprise me at alll, it never seemed like son-of-beast was a very good investment anyway