What's new

Solo Sweden (May 2019)

Ah that's rotten luck, honestly I reckon if I couldn't get on Helix then Liseberg would be just another park for me, it's just that good a ride.
Well if you thought that before I'm sure my report has confirmed it haha. It remains on the bucket list though so I will get on it... eventually.

Peet

Giga Poster
Great reports Alex, your day at Kolmården sounds awesome. Sorry about Helix, spites are one of the absolute hardest things about being an enthusiast - it's completely out of your control and no amount of good planning can avoid it. Kudos for planning and doing that big solo trip though!

Matt N

CF Legend
Great series of reports @Slamming Coastercore! Sorry about your Helix spite, but I'm glad you found a new number 1 in Wildfire! I must admit I'm surprised at some of your opinions regarding the Liseberg rides; I'd only ever heard that the vests didn't really kill Valkyria, so I'm surprised to hear that they do! I'd also heard that Loke was really good, so I was surprised to hear you didn't like it that much! Balder doesn't surprise me too much, as that one does seem somewhat marmite, although I'm surprised to hear that it has weak airtime.

I also heard that you mentioned my optimism; as my worst spite is still G Force at Drayton Manor (I went for the first time in August and it was announced as permanently shut in October), I admit I may not have the same level of experience in being spited by highly regarded coasters as yourself (G Force looked fun and unique, but certainly not on Helix level!), but if you want advice, just think to yourself that there are other coasters to ride in the park and you can still have a fun day!

Great series of reports @Slamming Coastercore! Sorry about your Helix spite, but I'm glad you found a new number 1 in Wildfire! I must admit I'm surprised at some of your opinions regarding the Liseberg rides; I'd only ever heard that the vests didn't really kill Valkyria, so I'm surprised to hear that they do! I'd also heard that Loke was really good, so I was surprised to hear you didn't like it that much! Balder doesn't surprise me too much, as that one does seem somewhat marmite, although I'm surprised to hear that it has weak airtime.

I also heard that you mentioned my optimism; as my worst spite is still G Force at Drayton Manor (I went for the first time in August and it was announced as permanently shut in October), I admit I may not have the same level of experience in being spited by highly regarded coasters as yourself (G Force looked fun and unique, but certainly not on Helix level!), but if you want advice, just think to yourself that there are other coasters to ride in the park and you can still have a fun day!
Thank you, really glad you enjoyed it. I'll always try to give my own opinion on my experience and not let others opinions influence it, but with Valkyria maybe other people's opinions did make me more hyped that what it deserved which might have made the disappointment that much greater.

As for your optimism mate I do think it's great and that's a fantastic way to be, I wish I could have that enthusiasm. I'm usually very optimistic myself will always try to look on the bright side and make the most of things when I get a spite, but when the other coasters are underwhelming as well it takes a lot more to summon some enjoyment out of the day. There were just a lot of variables on that day that lead to me feeling not so great, the main one being something i'd dreamed of riding for about 6 months since I got my ticket. Still though, it's not like it'll stop me trying to get it again in the fear that it won't be open. The optimist in me is stronger than that haha.

mo237

Roller Poster
Great report! Was actually doing the same trip as you but just offset by a day, although I'm sure we probably crossed paths without knowing at Liseberg on the Sunday! Somewhat glad to hear that my views on Liseberg are similar- lovely place, but because Helix was shut, we can't really judge it fairly.

peep

CF Legend
Great report! Love the way you share your experiences.

I still need to head over to Kolmarden, looks like a really nice place and congrats on reaching 100!

Shame about the Helix spite but as others have said, it gives you a good reason to return and hopefully you'll get to enjoy your next visit a bit more. Hoping there will be a CF Live in 2021 for Grona's B&M, Sweden Lives are usually great fun.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I feel the pain of that Helix spite. I wouldn't have been able to enjoy myself with that beast looming over =(

I'm quite surprised how unimpressed with Valkyria you were. I was so pleasantly surprised by it. I thought it showed B&M delivering a more intense old school experience with the way it whipped round all the elements. I'd started to loose faith in B&M after riding a lot of their newer rides, and this turned it round for me.

JamesB

Mega Poster
Great read, thanks for sharing! Gutted about Helix, I would be feeling the same way too. Shame that Valkyria was a disappointment too. I went to Liseberg two years ago, it's such a beautiful park.

Great report! Was actually doing the same trip as you but just offset by a day, although I'm sure we probably crossed paths without knowing at Liseberg on the Sunday! Somewhat glad to hear that my views on Liseberg are similar- lovely place, but because Helix was shut, we can't really judge it fairly.
Thank you! Indeed, it's comforting to know that my frustrations and views were shared. At the same time though I am very sorry that you had to go through that experience as well. Looks like we'll just have to give it another go haha.

Great report! Love the way you share your experiences.

I still need to head over to Kolmarden, looks like a really nice place and congrats on reaching 100!

Shame about the Helix spite but as others have said, it gives you a good reason to return and hopefully you'll get to enjoy your next visit a bit more. Hoping there will be a CF Live in 2021 for Grona's B&M, Sweden Lives are usually great fun.
Thank you very much, I was worried that it was going to be too waffly for everyone but the response has been a nice surprise.

Definitely get to Kolmarden as soon as you can. Despite not even being a theme/amusement park it's easily in my top 5 parks ever visited.

A CF live would be the PERFECT excuse to go back to Sweden and to try and get on Helix. It has given me an excuse to do Europa Park as I didn't really want to go there on my ones, so looking forward to seeing what a CF live abroad is like :)

I feel the pain of that Helix spite. I wouldn't have been able to enjoy myself with that beast looming over =(

I'm quite surprised how unimpressed with Valkyria you were. I was so pleasantly surprised by it. I thought it showed B&M delivering a more intense old school experience with the way it whipped round all the elements. I'd started to loose faith in B&M after riding a lot of their newer rides, and this turned it round for me.
Yeah, it did hurt haha.

Really? Intense is definitely not a word I would use to describe Valkyria. I would say that it's that ride that did make me loose faith in the newer B&M (to be fair though I haven't really ridden many newer B&M's at all)

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Really enjoyed reading this report, but gutted to hear you didn't get the day you wanted at Liseberg... it's a magical place when everything is in working order.

I had the same opinion regarding the cost of beer, loved the beer garden though (overlooking a bunch of the rides- Loke/Balder/and now Valkyeria). Deffo worth the upcharge for a tasty beer in the sun.