What's new

Smoke Machines

RCF

Strata Poster
I've noticed on a lot of LIM/LSM coasters, right before you launch you can see a smoke machine setting off smoke into the tunnel that you burst through. Is there any particular reason to this or is it just a trend? (Examples below)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY0QV5qIydY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-QH4055acU[/youtube]

RCF

Strata Poster
^Yeah that was pretty funny. But you DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION DAMNIT SO YOUR POST IS WORTHLESS!!! :lol:

nealbie

CF Legend
*whistles innocently*

And you expect me to know the answer to such a geeky question why? ;)

They all seem to do it. The Neal part of me wants to say "because smoke effects are cool!" :cool:

Leighton

Mega Poster
I would assume on racing themed coasters such as Rita, Stealth ect it is used to give the impression of burning rubber.

Blue Fire is using smoke to look like some refrigeration gas, as the ride theme does revolve around something to do with cold. (having not properly researched it)

Smoke is normally used in clubs or anywhere else to enhance the effect of the lighting, but in the case of launched coasters like Blue Fire or Mr Freeze, it is done more to obscure your vision for a second or two.

andrus

Giga Poster
^When you're set up to launch on Blue Fire there are doors in front of you over the track. Then the smoke machines turns on and you can't see the doors anymor, and then you launch.. So on this particular coaster I think they're mainly there to cause the "omg I'm ****ing going to crash into the doors" feeling! :p On the other coasters I think it's only a cool feature.

Jools

Giga Poster
I use to think they were there to rehydrate your skin, like on Oblivion lol, but I think it is just for the effect yeh.

Snoo

The Legend
Trend most likely. Maverick used to have tunnel effects.. but that lasted about 30 minutes as I was one of the lucky ones who got to experience it.

Top Thrill Dragster also used to have some effects behind a launching train.. where were cool.. but then CP remember their policy on making things seem awesome.. don't do it.

Magnum XL-200 is the only ride I've ridden frequently that has had their smoke effects working for a long period of time.. last tunnel! ;)

jayjay

Giga Poster
Jools said:
I use to think they were there to rehydrate your skin, like on Oblivion lol, but I think it is just for the effect yeh.

You think Oblivion's mist is to rehydrate your skin? :p