What's new

Slammer - The end may be near?

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Thorpe has recently removed all signage for the S&S Power "Sky Swat" called Slammer. The company only ever made two Sky Swat's (Although one actually has existed in two locations). So could this be the location of the 2013 new ride, and if so what will become of Slammer, Most people would be aware that slammer has had very poor reliability and with the company no longer having them in production, and because of it, could the parts that are required to fix it becoming even more harder to get hold off.
To be totally honest, I wouldn't mind seeing it removed as it was one of the biggest waste of spaces ever.
However there has been some speculation that it is going to be relocated next to The Swarm and in that case it would possibly be renamed to suit the area.
CouldtheendbenearforSlammer-TP.jpg

Article - http://coasterzone.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=692

Ethan

Strata Poster
Maybe they are just renaming it to "Head-Rush"...

Why on earth would they move it near to Swarm? It would cost money to move a ride which is both utterly crap, and unreliable.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Ethan said:
Why on earth would they move it near to Swarm? It would cost money to move a ride which is both utterly crap, and unreliable.
I don't know why, it's just what people have been speculating.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Nothing would fit. But they could plonk something where that white tent is now. It's nearish Swarm, but still I don't think it will happen.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
Why do people seem to have this idea that a flat ride could fit into The Swarm area?
Most likley because of the island next door to the back end of The Swarm (However the MTDP does list it as a possible location for the 2015 coaster)

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Please tear it down, and put in this instead:
Luva10.jpg

I was so looking forward to trying out Slammer, only to find it close when I visited.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Slammer is not going anywhere, they are just waiting for a part to be shipped over, so can we please end this once and for all. The park has commented on a few post saying that they are just waiting for a part to arrive.

Darren B

Giga Poster
owenrita121 said:
The park has commented on a few post saying that they are just waiting for a part to arrive.

What they mean is they are waiting for a trailer to arrive and ship it out! I'm sorry but it's turned into a waste of space, it may be a unique ride, but it just sit's there most of the year doing nothing.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
owenrita121 said:
Ethan said:
Why remove all the signs then?
Well if the ride is not doing anything, they might wan't to spruse up the signs a little.
Why would they spruse up a signs for a ride that has extremely poor uptime and reliability. And has cost them a fortune to keep running and repairing it. Cost effectively this should of been removed in comparison to Canada Creek Railway and Time Voyger of last year, as they both had a higher reliability and even more popularity.

Ethan

Strata Poster
The ride is pretty darn terrible. Spent 10 or so minutes in the toilets afterwards thinking I was gonna throw up. Gross, but shows how disgusting it is </3

ry1996

Mega Poster
Can't see why Thorpe would want to wait for parts to arrive, it's had so much downtime that i think they would have gave up repairing it and waiting for more replacement parts. Even if they were just waiting for parts they wouldn't remove the sign.

Jake

Strata Poster
Ugh, I was getting my hopes up then.

I don't even think the GP bother with it any more. Even when the park is busy, it never seems to have a queue.

They should remove Slammer and X, and maybe the stadium thing too. It would actually leave enough room for something a bit bigger than Inferno. It'd be pretty easy to move the Carousel and those other buildings as well.

slammer.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ Well they are expanding the Arena, so that parts out... :( But I think they will remove both X and Slammer soon...

Idlewild

Mega Poster
Coasterfreck said:
owenrita121 said:
Ethan said:
Why remove all the signs then?
Well if the ride is not doing anything, they might wan't to spruse up the signs a little.
Why would they spruse up a signs for a ride that has extremely poor uptime and reliability. And has cost them a fortune to keep running and repairing it. Cost effectively this should of been removed in comparison to Canada Creek Railway and Time Voyger of last year, as they both had a higher reliability and even more popularity.

Slammer is far more popular than Time Voyagers and CCR. Last year I went on Time Voyagers in the rain and there were about three other people waiting for an hourly show. CCR never had a queue as well while slammer consistently gets 10 minute queues.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Idlewild said:
Slammer is far more popular than Time Voyagers and CCR. Last year I went on Time Voyagers in the rain and there were about three other people waiting for an hourly show. CCR never had a queue as well while slammer consistently gets 10 minute queues.
As I usually go to Thorpe almost every week (when open), Slammer has never been popular, and at least the last ten times I went with it open their were no queues for it.
The CCR used to always pull full trains (95% of the time).

Jake

Strata Poster
I think removing the kiddie/family rides is a good idea, and that they should continue removing the very few they have left.

There's no point in having just a couple of kiddie rides. It's a thrill park now. I don't see why anyone would take kids to Thorpe when Legoland and Chessington are up the road!