What's new

Sky

Jer

Strata Poster
Hey guys while working on Black Diamond I had the idea of an extreme launch coaster. I wanted something with insane acceleration so what better than an S&S Air launch coaster. Pulling Acc Gs of 4.5 this ride accelerates from 0-72mph in sub 2 seconds then climbs nearly 200ft in the air vertically before dropping you down vertically again into an intense turn and airtime hill.

It was a fast project, only took about 2 weeks, there are a couple notes. I chose Intamin style because of realism to the track style and restraints, how ever in real life it would require some extra head support in the seats to avoid neck injury due to the intense acceleration. While 4.5 is safe without the proper head supports it's pretty painful.

sky101015094446000.png

Download

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm... not too sure about this one.

I liked the powerful launch and the rest of the layout after the top hat. I thought generally it was very smooth and the nice turns and the little pop just before the brakes were nice. My one critisism was the airtime on the top hat. It might just be because of Dodonpa (and Hypersonic XLC), but it felt to me like it crawled over the top of the top hat.

If this ride was meant to be really intense, I think you should have been looking at more than just 0.4+G over the top. Maybe I've missed the point slightly, but it just felt like it had a really punchy start and a nice ending, but it has this dead-spot in the middle.

Overall? I think I'd give it a 6/10.

EDIT: Look, it's just like Hypersonic XLC... but with less airtime. :p

http://www.rcdb.com/729.htm?p=1397

A

Anonymous

Here are my 2 cents...

As Hixee said the top-hat leaves something to be desired, the speed, shape and airtime is way of the S&S installation.
The little dip after the launch is very weak, you should have hit at least 0 g's down it.

I really love the concept though, so much that I might copy it... :p

Jer

Strata Poster
Thanks for the feed back. One thing though, Hixee, back row off the top hat it pulls -1.5gs, and even going into the top hat front row it pulls the same.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Aye, you're right. I only looked at the stats when I felt like the train was crawling over the top. I guess that the forces are better now, but it still feels like it almost stalls.

Jer

Strata Poster
Fun fact it does. The reason it crawls over the top is a drive wheel cleverly hidden as a length of mag brakes. Without them the ride will roll back. I cant make the hill any lower otherwise it will be too intense. I'll take that advice though and increase the speed to make it seem more fluid.

A

Anonymous

If you had a more parabolic shape to the top it would have worked a lot better, and if you look at pictures of Dodonpa (maybe even HXLC) it have a kicker wheel at the top of the top hat.

Jer

Strata Poster
Dodonpa does have a kicker but HXLC does not. I had fun making this ride and I'll definitely do another one, and the next one I do I'll have to make a more realistically shaped hat.