Sky Rocket - Premier Rides LSM for Kennywood 2010

A

Anonymous

LOL, they have put wigs on the test dummies :D

Checking for Hair-time much??

Martyn B

CF Legend
Looks like a fun little coaster!

I'm glad the MCBR doesn't completely stop it, like it does on that other video!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'm actually pretty impressed. It's not going to be a world class coaster, but there is no doubt that this is going to be a very fun ride. It just 'fits' Kennywood.

Snoo

The Legend
According to Screamscape.. some ACErs loved it.. so we shall see how this puppy folds out. I'm thinking about jumping on it soon after it opens.. because I really want to ride it.. :)

RCF

Strata Poster
On SS it says the week of June 21st. Oh, June 25th. Tomorrow :lol: but unless something happens, Saturday :wink: I mean **** Tuesday, but Monday's Media Day

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Today Sky Rocket opened to the public, but Snoo & I had a chance to ride it at yesterday's media event, which was well organized & a fun experience.
It was a very overcast day, but the rain held off until after the event concluded. However some moisture got into my camera lens affecting some of the photos. Sorry.

We arrived just after 8am.
IMG00003-20100628-0810Small.jpg

At 8:30am the presentation began with an introduction from Jeff Filicko, the puclic relations manager. He's a really great guy, who we look forward to seeing again (perhaps during the CF-Live).
IMG_3880Small.jpg

Snoo used his new video camera to record everything, while I took photos.
IMG_3879Small.jpg

After the introduction it was straight on to the coaster. First up for us was a back row ride.
IMG_3890Small.jpg

They had two cameras mounted on the coaster. One on the left front seat, which can be seen in the lower left corner of this photo...
IMG_3889Small.jpg

...and another attached to the back of the left front seat of the second car.
IMG_3885Small.jpg

From the station you get a nice view as the launch zips the train up...
IMG_3886Small.jpg

...and over the top hat.
IMG_3887Small.jpg

Woosh!
IMG_3888Small.jpg

The station is simple, yet effective with a queue that winds around below the track, giving you great views of the coaster while you wait.
IMG_3932Small.jpg

They had put up temporary scaffolding on each side of the second train in order to work on it & we couldn't figure out how they transferred the train from the station.
IMG_3928Small.jpg

It became clear when we reached the bottom of the exit ramp.
IMG_3933Small.jpg

The station moves rather than the transfer track.
IMG_3931Small.jpg

How cool is that?!
IMG_3930Small.jpg

After a back seat & front seat ride (Snoo got two front seat rides since the camera wasn't working the first time around) it was time to head into the maze of track & supports...
IMG_3927Small.jpg

...for a close up look at the coaster in action. Airtime!
IMG_3898Small.jpg

The hangtime before the drop!
IMG_3891Small.jpg

Inverted airtime!
IMG_3892Small.jpg

More airtime!
IMG_3893Small.jpg

The back seats are best here.
IMG_3903Small.jpg

And more inverted airtime!
IMG_3894Small.jpg

Bunny hop airtime!
IMG_3897Small.jpg

This coaster has some great elements...
IMG_3878Small.jpg

...that provide plenty of airtime...
IMG_3917Small.jpg

...regular & inverted!
IMG_3918Small.jpg

FUN...
IMG_3923Small.jpg

DROP!
IMG_3910Small.jpg

SEXY!
IMG_3911Small.jpg

Up close...
IMG_3925Small.jpg

...and personal!
IMG_3916Small.jpg

Airtime!
IMG_3909Small.jpg

Inverted airtime!
IMG_3915Small.jpg

We like this coaster.
IMG_3914Small.jpg

I mean really like this coaster!
IMG_3905Small.jpg

No! Really!
IMG00004-20100628-1036Small.jpg

We had such a great time.
IMG_3907Small.jpg

As you can tell.
IMG_3912Small.jpg

It doesn't get any better than this.
IMG_3913Small.jpg

Now does it?
IMG00005-20100628-1038Small.jpg

OK, seriously...
I wasn't really expecting much from this coaster to be honest, but it really delivered. Our first ride in the back row didn't do much for me due to the painful leg restraints that kept me from enjoying the ride. All that changed on the next ride when I got to sit in the front seat, where the leg restraint wasn't painful at all. We tried different seats on each ride & only the last row had painful leg restraints. The lapbar is snug due to the inverted airtime/hangtime, but isn't uncomfortable. The seats also have a lot of give, providing comfort through all the elements. There's absolutely no need to anticipate any elements (like you have to do on some coasters). Just put your hands in the air & enjoy!
The coaster also varies from seat to seat. The front seats provide the most airtime on the top hat & are the best for the hangtime. The back seats have the most airtime on the second drop & are best for the inverted airtime transitions. So it's not surprising that the best seats overall are in the front row of the second car, where you can feel the full effect of each element.

I also want to give another big shout out to Jeff, who really went out of his way to make sure everyone attending got everything they needed & had the event go off without a hitch.

Snoo

The Legend
Sounds about right. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGxrm_tvKVc[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kunq8EIdSl4[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFX8ciwmBQo[/youtube]

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Couldn't agree more. This ride looks great and I can't wait to ride.

Luck bastards getting the media day too! Great report Jerry, looking forward to this one now.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Some cracking photos and videos there!

I've seen the POV and she looks like a fun coaster, enough hangtime to be enjoyable without slowing it down too much. Twisty, lack of "dead track", yes, I'm sold!

marc

CF Legend
Great report and pictures, I watched the POV last night and it looks like a fun coaster that will please most people.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Looks really good fun, particularly the twisty section and the bunny hops (for me, I don't like hang-time :lol: ).

Superb videos and pictures - brilliant stuff :)