What's new

SketchUp alternative

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I was using SketchUp to create a few simple buildings for a NoLimits 2 coaster. SketchUp is simple to use and I knew it from school. What I didn't know was that they automatically gave me a trial version of SketchUp Pro and that the free SketchUp make does not support .3ds export. Since the trial version now ran out I need another way to create 3D Models. Does anyone of you guys know an alternative? It should be easy to learn (I am not new to CAD, designing models for 3D-Printing regularly, but Blender for example is just too much for me, I only want to create simple buildings.) and either free or under 20€. Alternatively, if someone knows how to get 3DS Models from the free SketchUp, that would also help. I tried a converter, but NoLimits couldn't open the converted file.
Thanks for your help!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Not 100% sure if it's compatible with No Limits 2, but I do know that AutoDesk offers free trials for loads of their products. They have like 10+ different AutoCAD types. It's at least worth a shot.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Blender was always a safe bet. It was open source, completely free and impressively powerful. I'm certain you could export 3Ds files.

I only say was as it was many years ago that I tinkered with it, and I can't guarantee it's still free. Although a cursory Google search would confirm this.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
It is still free, but it is so complicated and just to add a texture you have to do like 20 steps. Blender is way too powerful for my purposes, and I don't really have the time and energy to watch hour-long Blender tutorials. That's why I like SketchUp, it is so simple and quick.