What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain vs Cedar Point

Which park is better?

• Cedar Point - It's called America's Roller Coast for a reason!

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Six Flags Magic Mountain - Cali rules dude!

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Neither - I like both equally / They both suck!

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
They're both widely considered to be enthusiasts meccas with a huge selection of coasters to ride, but which one is better?

For decades Cedar Point has had the most number of coasters to choose from, but in recent years Six Flags Magic Mountain has taken over as the park with the most coasters to ride. Is it all about numbers or do other factors count? Which park has a better or more diverse selection? Are ride ops better at one park compared to the other? Does either park have themed coasters that make a difference? Is a southern California location better than a peninsula on Lake Eire? What makes one park better than the other in your opinion?

Snoo

The Legend
If we are talking personal quality of coasters, CP. TTD, Mavvy, and MF are in my Top 20 while only X2 and Tatsu are in my Top 20.

Flat rides? Hands down CP. I don't think that is even a question.

Overall atmosphere? SFMM. While not the best, CP is too damn sterile and it bothers the hell outta me. LESS CONCRETE DAMNIT.

CP wins IMO. While not the best, not even in my Top 5, its not bad and I came off kinda meh from SFMM. I do need to revisit however.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Magic Mountain. Yes, it could do with some flat rides, but Cedar Point is hardly a world leader in that department either.

I just found the overall coaster collection at MM better, and I thought it had a better atmosphere.

That's not to say that I didn't have a great time at Cedar Point, because I did, but if I was offered a plane ticket to either one, I'd take MM in a second.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It is important to point out that while these two parks have comparable roller coaster lineups, doing a simple side-by-side comparison will miss important characteristics of each park.

Both parks offer a great experience with good thrill rides. Both parks have also experienced massive expansion in their existence - however SFMM has felt more sprawled with less logistical sense. That is my biggest critique for SFMM; that rides are awkwardly placed with little rhyme or reason.

I would pick Cedar Point over SFMM, but you cannot go wrong with either choice.

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
I think Magic Mountain is better. People use the excuse Cedar Point has more flat rides, but all it really has that stand out is Maxair and Skyhawk, and skyhawk was closed when I went. Maxair was good but nothing amazing. Overall magic mountain has better coasters such as X2, Tastu, Apocalypse, Riddlers Revenge, Full Throttle, etc. At Cedar Point the only good rides for me were Gatekeeper, TTD, Wicked Twister, and Maverick. All the other rides were just average. Magic Mountain just has better more intense coasters. I think I would choose Magic Mountain over Cedar Point, but Cedar Point is still awesome.

CedarPoint27

Roller Poster
Cedar Point, i went last summer and loved it, I havent been to Magic Mountain yet but by a lot of peoples opinions it dosent look that good but there coasters look amazing.