What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launch

nealbie

CF Legend
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launc

Nic said:
ECG said:
We've had no mention of the new coaster construction at Six Flags Magic Mountain on CF
Not true. There's a whole topic, in fact - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34243
Jerry got served <3

This potentially could be insanely mega, or immensely upsetting xD.

I agree completely with UC with who it's most likely to be, but I'd just personally prefer it to be Mack.

*puts on coasterstalking hat*

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

My biggest issue with Premier is the fact that they see it necessary to put those ankle restraints in when it seems like all they to is make the ride suck if you happen to have long legs. S & S's launch system, while not completely tested on coasters, is a fairly ubiquitous industry standard due to the fact that it is the same principle as used on their Shot towers except in a horizontal as opposed to vertical orientation.

I'm not saying that I think it will be S & S, just that I'd love for it to be them, or frankly anyone, instead of Premier with their evil ankle restraints, although from what I've heard about the launch on Blue Fire I really hope it is something with a bit more kick since the park's only other launcher is Superman which has a pretty forceless launch.

Also I think Intamin should also be viewed as a good contender here just because the park's last two installations came from them and neither was a massive investment which seems to me like the park may have reached an agreement with Intamin to install those first two rides (Green Lantern and Lex) and Superman's refurb to see if they worked well with Intamin, I believe that their last two experiences with Intamin were bad (Superman was plagued with launch difficulties and Flashback was a flop on all accounts) before deciding to make a major investment in a large new coaster through Intamin.

Intricks

Strata Poster

I, who is 6'1", have long legs and have no issues with Premiers new restraints. So does my friend Jeff who is taller than me (6'4"). That alone is a different ride experience than you.

While S&S has the whole tower concept, they also arent trying to launch something obscenely heavy (like a coaster train which has far more materials than their launch towers).

Also, outside of Dodonpa (which I really havent heard much about), all their rides have been plagued with issues...whether it be the launch system or a near reinstall of track to account for excessive forces.

bmac

Giga Poster

Premier's new trains are perfectly fine from what I've seen. They're a hell of a lot roomier than the older LIM trains and they sure are worlds better than the OTSRs *cringe*

Premier's been knocking out some good rides lately without that many issues (didn't Sky Rocket have a lot of computer resets opening season?) so I'm sure they can knock one out of the park with SFMM.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

If this ride is indeed Premier, and as huge as some rumors says, how will it be launched?

Wouldn't an LSM launch to those speed be a pretty slow launch? Like 4 seconds?

bmac

Giga Poster

_koppen said:
If this ride is indeed Premier, and as huge as some rumors says, how will it be launched?

Wouldn't an LSM launch to those speed be a pretty slow launch? Like 4 seconds?

Most of the rides get to their top speed within 2-3 seconds, just like any other launch.

Verbolten does 0-53 in like 2.2 seconds
Sky Rocket does 0-50 in 3 seconds
iSpeed does 0-62 in 2.2 seconds
Blue Fire does 0-63 in 2.5 seconds

just check the rcdb page on it here: http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&pp=92&page=1
(don't ask me why Maverick isn't there, I'm just as confused as you are)

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

^ Not to mention Fluch Von Novgorod that does an impressive 100 km/h in 1.4 seconds!

bmac

Giga Poster

A lot of LSM rides aren't stationary with their launches, see Verbolten, Cheetah Hunt, Maverick, Sky Rocket, Manta (san diego).

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Manta's first launch is though, I think.

bmac

Giga Poster

Ethan said:
^ Manta's first launch is though, I think.

and so is Cheetah Hunt's, but all subsequent launches are taken while moving. Since "Full Throttle" will apparently have multiple launches don't be surprised if it does that kind of set-up.

Intricks

Strata Poster

I thought it rocked back and forth before launching. At least, that is what I had seen in the videos first put out.

andrus

Giga Poster

UC said:
S&S?

Let's look at the facts:

-Their U.S. coasters have a history of being plagued with development and operational issues.
-Consequently, their last coaster built in the U.S. opened four years ago, and was a relatively minor installation.
-Putting the Chinese coasters aside, their last launched coaster can only be summed up as an utter failure.
-I think the notion that they've suddenly "figured it out" with regards to their launched coasters can be counter-balanced with the realization that we simply don't have nearly as much information about the Chinese launched coasters as we do with rides built in the west, as well as the fact that they're built in parks where knockoff SLCs with horrendous-looking elements are acceptable.

As opposed to:

-A manufacturer, Premier, with a history of successful attractions with U.S. parks,
-some of which include popular attractions at Six Flags parks (Mr. Freeze, Joker's Jinx/Poltergeist),
-and who has recently worked with Six Flags (S:UF at SFDK) this year, in a California park no less,
-which clearly demonstrates that any potential issue in a working relationship caused by their single (arguable) dud U.S. ride, Chiller, is negated.

To be honest, the only real argument anyone has against Premier (whom I believe is the overwhelming favorite here) is the fact they've yet to build a coaster that goes over 100 mph, which I believe was some sort of survey question back in the day...?

Even still, that's relatively minor compared to all of the issues SF would have to get over to go with S&S, as opposed to a company they obviously have a good working relationship with (as well as one with an almost exclusive amount of experience in launched coasters).
As far as I know Powder Keg was S&S's last launch coaster built in the US. And it has been very successful! On the other hand SFDC already has experienced some troubles with SUF stalling at the top.

I do believe too that SFMM's new coaster is going to be a Premier ride, mostly because the last (and maybe only since the board change?) launch company Six Flags made a deal with was Premier. But it's not just as simple as saying "everything S&S has done is crap" and "Premier never fails with their rides". I would love for it to be an S&S but yea, most likely will be Premier.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

bmac said:
Most of the rides get to their top speed within 2-3 seconds, just like any other launch.

Verbolten does 0-53 in like 2.2 seconds
Sky Rocket does 0-50 in 3 seconds
iSpeed does 0-62 in 2.2 seconds
Blue Fire does 0-63 in 2.5 seconds

just check the rcdb page on it here: http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&pp=92&page=1
(don't ask me why Maverick isn't there, I'm just as confused as you are)

I know that LSM system can launch fast, my thoughts was about the top speed, I should have written it in a different way.

I remember reading an interview with Sandor from Intamin, and he said that the current problems with LSM launches is that they are only good for launches under 120km/h.
I read one of the rumours that this thing was going to be bigger than Goliath, and just wondered if it could really be possible with an LSM launch, without having an 5-6 seconds launch like Superman?

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

Yes it's easily possible it would just require an insane amount of energy to accelerate a train to those speeds in a short time like a cable or compressed air launch. It could easily be done by charging a capacitor off of the power grid and using it to power the LSM in order to distribute power demand over a matter of minutes as opposed to a matter of seconds. I assume what Sandor means is that once the 120 km/h mark is reached the launch power load has to be distributed over a larger period of time to avoid consumption spikes, be it a longer launch or capacitor. I know that Freischütz has regenerative brakes, meaning that the magnetic brakes are used to charge a capacitor (or maybe a flywheel) that is used to power the launch to save energy.

Also, if it is an Intamin I'm sure that they could use a hydraulic launch for the primary launch and LSMs for the booster/secondary launches by simply sharing the braking magnets with the launch magnets (on the train).

bmac

Giga Poster

Would that last statement point toward Cheetah Hunt? I know it only goes to 60 mph (96 kmh) instead of the golden 74 mph (120 kmh) but it has the launch out of the station going into the much larger launch in order to get up to its top speed. The same thing can sort of be said for Maverick where the 70 mph (112 kmh) launch is achieved with momentum from the first half of the ride.

Exactly how much energy would this save for a park by using this style? Would it be better to do LIM launches or would Bottom_Feeder's suggestion of Hydraulic -> LSM be? I remember LIMs being a huge draw of power for a park, especially with the Mr. Freezes and Chiller. I also remember the respective parks shutting down those coasters on high power demand days in order to prevent brown outs. Could that be an issue with LSMs, especially in Magic Mountain's location not to far from one of the largest cities in the US?

bmac

Giga Poster

Happy to have my questions cleared up! So SFMM can basically go with any style of launch they want, pretty much debunking whatever lean we have towards a manufacturer until they announce it (or someone leaks the info).

I do have experience with electricity, just not on such a gigantic scale. I've done rewiring for homes and businesses, along with a small coaster or two, which really doesn't help much in terms of judgement of power consumption by larger rides. Once it gets larger than a building (or in a park's case, property) and extends into towns and counties it really starts to blur, so the answer really helps.

madhjsp

Giga Poster

^This is slightly off topic, but the language you've used in your post has me wondering, what degree of autonomy do chain parks such as SFMM have with regard to decisions on ride addition/removal, any kind of area expansion or re-theming, or any other large-scale park modification?

Obviously these parks are all mostly separate entities with their own finances & management personnel, but I guess I've just always assumed that most of these kinds of purchases are done with large amounts of corporate-level funding, so the Six Flags higher-ups get to have the final say on which parks get new rides and what kind of rides they will be. Is this line of thinking erroneous? What is the balance of input from Magic Mountain vs. Six Flags (or Premier Parks?) when it comes to: a) deciding that Magic Mountain should get a coaster, b) contacting various manufacturers with design requests, and c) reviewing and choosing the final design from among said requests.

This question isn't directed solely at UC. Anyone that has insight is welcome to answer.