What's new

Six Flags Great America | Goliath | RMC Woodie

tomahawk

Strata Poster
How do you know with 100% knowledge that they didn't replace a wheel during morning testing on media day for those other two, or during commercial shoots? And how do you know wheel problems didn't start til later? Pretty sure Maverick they knew during testing which is why they changed the layout.

Just because a ride is more intense, doesn't mean it will go through wheels faster/slower. There is more than just "it's intense so you need more wheels" that argument is so flawed, just don't.

And last I checked if you drove a car for a few hundred hours, it would need a new tire.

njn63

Mega Poster
tomahawk said:
And last I checked if you drove a car for a few hundred hours, it would need a new tire.
Not quite. 200 hours at 60 mph (being generous, most cars would average well under that) would only be 12,000 miles.

Planning on going to the park tomorrow after work if the weather is decent.

Darren B

Giga Poster
So I attended Goliath's media day today and I've got to say I was shocked at just how good this coaster is. The POV doesn't do it justice! From start to finish the ride is doing something, and it's doing it extremely well. The Zero-G element is by far the best element I've ever ridden on a coaster. Goliath is going to be a huge hit.

As for the wheel falling off;

It came off mid circuit and the train screeched around the rest of the track. Nobody seemed worried, they quickly changed the wheel and 20 minutes later it was back in business (they didn't use the second train).

BBH

Giga Poster
^I'll trust the opinion of a man with 328 credits under his belt if it's his number five overall. Glad to hear that the ride lives up to its expectations.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Darren B said:
So I attended Goliath's media day today and I've got to say I was shocked at just how good this coaster is. The POV doesn't do it justice! From start to finish the ride is doing something, and it's doing it extremely well. The Zero-G element is by far the best element I've ever ridden on a coaster. Goliath is going to be a huge hit.

As for the wheel falling off;

It came off mid circuit and the train screeched around the rest of the track. Nobody seemed worried, they quickly changed the wheel and 20 minutes later it was back in business (they didn't use the second train).

Thanks for the clarification and glad to hear it's living up to the hype.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The view I've been waiting to see since this was announced. Jerry almost looks, nervous, at the beginning, and is that a Brit smiling with their hands up? I've now seen everything!

All joking aside this makes it even look that much better.

implode

Roller Poster
Just rode it about an hour ago. It actually was really excellent. Tons of ejector on the first drop and airtime hill as expected. The inversions were spectacular. The transitions were very quick, yet it didnt jerk you around too much. My favorite part was that it feels incredibly fast throughout the entire ride, which is something you can't say for as many rides in this park. Easily could be argued as the best at GA. I'm excited to go on it again.

njn63

Mega Poster
Rode it tonight. Excellent ride, best addition to Great America since Raging Bull. If it was longer it would easily be the best coaster in the park.

BBH

Giga Poster
For those that have ridden it, where does it sit in your personal standings? I would expect it to be somewhere in most people's top ten lists after hearing all of the rave reviews for it.

njn63

Mega Poster
BBH said:
For those that have ridden it, where does it sit in your personal standings? I would expect it to be somewhere in most people's top ten lists after hearing all of the rave reviews for it.
It would be just outside my top 5 I think but I obviously don't have a huge list.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm curious about how this ranks compared to the other RMC coasters. How does it compare to Outlaw Run and/or New Texas Giant? (Not really counting Iron Rattler...)

loveagiga

Roller Poster
I just rode it for my 8th, 9th, & 10th times last night for Coasters After Dark! Well, the 8th ride was around 4pm but anyways...

I thought Goliath was epic as is but it's night rides are even more incredible!! It misted last night from about 830pm-2am as in it was barely raining (CAD was 9-midnight). So the park became so foggy that you could barely see the tops of almost all the rides, if not see them at all. It was by far the greatest night I have ever had in our park EVER! Seriously cant get over it. Riding XFlight, Raging Bull & Goliath in the thick fog was like ascending to heaven & diving to Hell! LOL Well, it was all heaven but you get it ;)

It's nothing like Texas Giant or Iron Rattler's tunnels but there was such thick fog in the tunnel last night that it was "solid white" & If I remember correctly, there was a huge blue light down there! When we flew out of that tunnel at 72mph, We both said that we couldn't see anything until we were already in the over bank & then you're back in the fog so you cant see down as you're falling until we were at the bottom headin into the airtime hill. That tunnel blinded us in are the best ways possible. Totally threw us off as if the fog wasn't already doing so!! We got back to the station & they said if there is no one in your row, you may ride again. Got last train of the night & ugh it was simply amazing!! ;D

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
tomahawk said:
Is that a Brit smiling with their hands up?
When in Rome :)

It is an arms up coaster. It's fab. I'll do a full ride report (eventually) in my trip report.