What's new

Six Flags Great America | Goliath | RMC Woodie

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Not surprised, and like you said this past winter is one of worst in recent history in terms of amount of snowfall for the entire Midwest. At least they aren't going SFMM on it and waiting until mid July...

loveagiga

Roller Poster
As I told Jerry, the crew is all over like ants scattered around an ant hill just hustlin' to have this ride ready. Yet you can tell how much work is to be done because regardless that these guys are workin their ass off on this ride, it still isnt ready. Those poor guys are now working 7days a week & every time I've been in the park the last two weeks, you can still see & hear them working till 8-830pm getting in every last bit of sunlight in. Though this beauty isnt ready, shes lookin astonishing & can be seen from nearly every where inside & out of the park! It is truly an intimidating structure. As many I cannot wait for Goliath.

Also, I cannot share/post any of my photos from my phone on here :(

Ben

CF Legend
njn63 said:
Ben said:
Yeah, as discussed by others, Voyage is widely labelled a hybrid coaster.

I would be more inclined to call this a steel hybrid coaster, like the evolution of things like Gemini, but, either way, you have to have the term hybrid in there, it's not a "woodie".

I wish I could be bothered to do long posts any more, but, just look at the thing. Really.
gemini.jpg

8897742_orig.jpg

Yep, exactly like Gemini.

"Evolution" and "like" being the key words here.

Did I say "It's the exact same as Gemini"? No?

And actually, you can see there is wood used as the back bone to Gemini's track there. THEREFORE OMG WOODIE.

I'm merely saying you can't call this a "Woodie", it's not. It needs its own label. And Hybrid works nicely for that. You can't argue it's a plain Woodie with that much steel.

davidm

Strata Poster
ECG said:
I received a confirmation email from the park that "June 6 is our next target date" for media day
Hmmm; rather spoils my plan of being there next Tuesday (3rd) to ride it. :(

njn63

Mega Poster
ECG said:
I wasn't talking about the support structure. I was referring to the two thick/wide strips of orange steel that's on top of the wooden running rails. The track defines whether a coaster is referred to as a wooden coaster or a steel coaster, regardless if it's a hybrid or not. Other wooden coasters only have a small/thin strip of steel on top of their wooden running rails and even Outlaw Run only has a single strip of steel on top of it's wooden running rails.
And I'm fully aware of Goliath being a wooden hybrid, but painting the steel strips orange sure makes it look like the company's I-beam steel hybrid coasters.
I was under the impression that Outlaw Run and Goliath/Medusa were all using topper track with the only difference being the orange paint? Is there a thickness difference?
Ben said:
"Evolution" and "like" being the key words here.

Did I say "It's the exact same as Gemini"? No?
I'm not seeing how the two are related and I thought it was a huge reach. Goliath is much closer to a traditional wood coaster than Gemini and not surprisingly, everyone has categorized Gemini as a steel coaster.
Ben said:
I'm merely saying you can't call this a "Woodie", it's not. It needs its own label. And Hybrid works nicely for that. You can't argue it's a plain Woodie with that much steel.
I could but I'm not going to waste my time rehashing a debate that is a matter of opinion. All wood coasters have some steel in the track, this one has more than most. Is it wood? Is it steel? Who cares, it's a ride.

To save everyone time here is a link to the topic about Outlaw Run where this EXACT SAME debate happened: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34199&hilit=topper&start=406

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
"If it weren't for bad luck, they'd have no luck at all."
I received a call from a friend in Chicago (not James/loveagiga) saying that the chain on Goliath snapped yesterday and one of the workers was injured. He didn't see it but a friend of his did. As it was just a rumor, I didn't want to contact the park yet again about the media day date, but today I received an email from the park saying that they anticipate making the new media day and opening day announcement later this week.

loveagiga

Roller Poster
Oh boy... My heart just sunk, glad to hear it's a rumor. I really hope media day is sooner than later.

I woke up to a new Goliath coming soon commercial/advert on tv this morning but I cannot find it anywhere online.

BBH

Giga Poster
In regards to that rumour, I've now heard several reports that the chain is installed, and the incident occurred on Monday. The chain itself did not snap, but the cable used to lift it did. No official word on injuries but I hear none.

Posted while reading your mind.

njn63

Mega Poster
bmac said:
Medusa is using I-box, which both New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler have used.
You're correct. Not sure why I was thinking it used topper track.

No surprise but I got an email today that the commercial shoot on Friday is canceled as well.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Nice!

I'm still not too sure about the steel structure though. I don't know how to describe it. It just looks empty without all the wood supports.

But how about that airtime hill? It looks like it may be the best part of the ride. And with this being early testing, the train is probably not going full speed yet.

loveagiga

Roller Poster
haha I actually just got home from a serious cat rescue that took 3 hours(no joke lol) I was very busy tonight & had no idea this all happened till I got home!

but this video is much more clear & up close of the drop & stall! :) SO EXCITED to see it testing tomorrow in person hopefully!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYM4OxzBIw[/youtube]

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Not RMC's best work, but clearance tests force ya to do what ya gotta do.

10390378_517835151654358_8477529723997596211_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's just because they're pushed for time to get the coaster opened and will probably be back at some point to replace the beam(s).

loveagiga

Roller Poster
Oh my, that is embarrassing...

Everyone is "freakin out" over the screeching noises made during the first run. Everyone should understand its the first run of those wheels on that track, its gonna make some noises. ;) However, now that I see the photo Jerry posted above, this may make sense as to why they didn't run any more test runs on the ride since its maiden voyage.

As to opening, there is still no confirmation on dates but for all of those who purchased Goliath apparel for the "golden ticket(s)" we can exchange those tickets for exit passes of any ride of your choosing including Goliath. Someone on sfgamworld said he exchanged them at the park & the lady at guest services said they are pushing for a June 6th opening. Again, this is word of mouth, no confirmation. Other guests/members have said they emailed the park & received exit passes that way. I have eight total between my friends & I.
So - I'm not sure what we will be best for me to do because I probably will not be back at the park unless media day occurs June 6th or after Goliath finally opens to the public.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The coaster had only conducted its first test run on May 31st, and June 6 is four days away. For some reason, an opening by Friday feels rather implausible.

bmac

Giga Poster
It seems to be a little slow with no weight on it but as Sanchez said it's early testing. This ride probably will have the same threats of saddling as El Toro does when the trains are empty and the air is cold if they don't speed the train up.