What's new

SFMM | West Coast Racers | Premier Quad Launch Möbius Sky Rocket

John Knotts

Mega Poster
They both also have launches. Don't forget that. So, let's break this down:

WCC:
Premier, multiple launch, dueling inverting mobius rollercoaster.

FT:
Premier, multiple launch with inverts
TC:
Premier, dueling inverting mobius

What more isn't there to get? They rides have SIMILARITIES, they aren't matching coasters. At the end of the day, this will be a mediocre launched advertisement which has two better versions of itself within the park. This would be unique at Knotts, not at SFMM.

TC isn't Premier Rides.

Lofty

CF Legend
Did I once say that it's just enthusiasts that will notice? In fact, general public are the first to notice these things, maybe not on a high brow level of noticing the resemblance of both operationally and technically. But, they will notice that it just isn't as good as the other two?

Twisted Colossus is powerful, wooden (to GP's eyes), inverts, interacts and is a really long coaster.

Full Throttle is a launch coaster, HUGE loop, backwards and forwards launches, massive airtime hill, inversion into the launch, taller, faster and bigger than West Coast Racers.

West Coast Racers is smaller than both, not as fast as either, not as tall as either, doesn't invert as much as Twisted Colossus, doesn't reach the same heights as Full Throttle. The general public will realise all of this and they will comment. Now you understand why I think it's a silly decision for this park to get this.

John Knotts

Mega Poster
Excuse me. Copied and pasted but forgot to change but you know what we mean. You were mostly arguing against FT anyway. :p

Yeah, I absolutely get the TC comparisons, and I'll even go so far as to say that both WCR and Full Throttle share a similar look due to Premier's unique coaster stock. I guess my real point is that is doesn't bother me either way.

Two racing coasters in one park doesn't bother me. Two mobius coasters in a park of 20 doesn't bother me. In fact, I think it enhances this ride and adds an fun factor it wouldn't otherwise have.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah, I absolutely get the TC comparisons, and I'll even go so far as to say that both WCR and Full Throttle share a similar look due to Premier's unique coaster stock. I guess my real point is that is doesn't bother me either way.

Two racing coasters in one park doesn't bother me. Two mobius coasters in a park of 20 doesn't bother me. In fact, I think it enhances this ride and adds an fun factor it wouldn't otherwise have.

Well that's fine. You do you. I'd never tell you to do otherwise. However, we're counterpointing with the fact that most of the enthusiasts as well as a percentage of the GP will feel more the opposite of how you feel IMO. Which is why we're calling it a disappointing and, well, stupid addition.

And 'enhancing' is a term i'd use loosely as this will fall into oblivion faster then Scream! IMO. The ride is overshadowed and will, undoubtedly, be less then noteworthy enormously quickly.

John Knotts

Mega Poster
Well that's fine. You do you. I'd never tell you to do otherwise. However, we're counterpointing with the fact that most of the enthusiasts as well as a percentage of the GP will feel more the opposite of how you feel IMO. Which is why we're calling it a disappointing and, well, stupid addition.

And 'enhancing' is a term i'd use loosely as this will fall into oblivion faster then Scream! IMO. The ride is overshadowed and will, undoubtedly, be less then noteworthy enormously quickly.

LOL... The GP will eat this ride up. Especially if it duels every time out, unlike it's big brother across the park. I do think the theme is a little tacky, but so is California ..

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
West Coast Racers is smaller than both, not as fast as either, not as tall as either, doesn't invert as much as Twisted Colossus, doesn't reach the same heights as Full Throttle. The general public will realise all of this and they will comment. Now you understand why I think it's a silly decision for this park to get this.
Maybe they'll see it as a way to work up to the bigger rides, not a downgrade.

John Knotts

Mega Poster
Did I once say that it's just enthusiasts that will notice? In fact, general public are the first to notice these things, maybe not on a high brow level of noticing the resemblance of both operationally and technically. But, they will notice that it just isn't as good as the other two?

Twisted Colossus is powerful, wooden (to GP's eyes), inverts, interacts and is a really long coaster.

Full Throttle is a launch coaster, HUGE loop, backwards and forwards launches, massive airtime hill, inversion into the launch, taller, faster and bigger than West Coast Racers.

They will? The same GP that isn't showing up to ride the great Steel Vengeance, but are showing up to ride a pretty standard Gerstlauer coaster at Knott's? Okay...
And really, the GP will notice and STILL show up to ride this. Besides, SFMM is in the unique position of having X2 and Tatsu in the same park. They don't have to reinvent the wheel every time out as these two rides continue to draw from all over the US. All they really have to do is flesh out their ride collection with fun experiences like WCR, Crazanity and Justice League.

Last edited:

Snoo

The Legend
LOL... The GP will eat this ride up. Especially if it duels every time out, unlike it's big brother across the park. I do think the theme is a little tacky, but so is California ..

You sure about that? This isn't like CW where they build Leviathan.. a bigger and sexier version of another ride in the park. This is a smaller and ****ter version of two other rides in the park that will NEVER duel because Six Flags. If you really think Six Flags ops will allow this ride to run as intended, you clearly haven't seen Six Flags over the course of.. forever.

They will? The same GP that isn't showing up to ride the great Steel Vengeance, but are showing up to ride a pretty standard Gerstlauer coaster at Knott's? Okay...
And really, the GP will notice and STILL show up to ride this. Besides, SFMM is in the unique position of having X2 and Tatsu in the same park. They don't have to reinvent the wheel every time out as these two rides continue to draw from all over the US. All they really have to do is flesh out their ride collection with fun experiences like WCR, Crazanity and Justice League.

GP isn't showing up to ride Steel Vengeance? What planet are you on? The line is 2 hours religiously, not because of operations but because that many people want to ride it. I've heard and talked about that ride with EVERYONE, from regular GP, to park attendants at other parks, to just people I work with who have no idea I was an enthusiast. That ride isn't just a phenomenon among enthusiasts but much of the GP as well. And let me guess, you're basing this on attendance being down on CFs report? Well of course it is.. many of the parks have seen a drop due to the heat and weather of most locals. Hell, I live 2 hours from CP and I've only been a few times due to the heat and not wanting my children to be out all day when it's 90+.

Of course they will show up to ride it. Many people show up to ride coasters that are new regardless of what it is. However, this ride will be popular as soon as advertising comes down and they start re-advertising good rides and it will fade into the background like 3/4 of the parks coasters. Parks get stale when they do the same thing over and over (and if you're suggesting Tatsu and X2 are remotely related, you're just an idiot), even if that ride is 'unique'.

This will be nothing but filler from a park which brands itself as one of the best if not the best coaster meccas in the world. Enthusiasts AND locals expect better then a retread of other rides in the park.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
When FT first was announced, the enthusiast crowd was majorly disappointed. But as time wore on, it's turned out it's a HUGE hit with the GP. It's the only launched coaster at SFMM, and the GP have responded to it.

So building a second, similar one in the back of the park is actually a genius move in terms of spreading out the GP. I think they will eat this up. And the enthusiast community will deal with it.

Heck, I wasn't too thrilled with FT at first either. But once I got over my disappointment at how short it is, even I have to admit that the ride itself is fun. Way, way too short, but fun in that very short span of time. I can see why the GP enjoys it, they didn't have the hang ups the enthusiast community does.

I think we all need to remember coasters are supposed to be FUN, last time I checked. If anyone is this disappointed by the ride and thinks it's pointless, then don't go on it.

John Knotts

Mega Poster
When FT first was announced, the enthusiast crowd was majorly disappointed. But as time wore on, it's turned out it's a HUGE hit with the GP. It's the only launched coaster at SFMM, and the GP have responded to it.

So building a second, similar one in the back of the park is actually a genius move in terms of spreading out the GP. I think they will eat this up. And the enthusiast community will deal with it.

Heck, I wasn't too thrilled with FT at first either. But once I got over my disappointment at how short it is, even I have to admit that the ride itself is fun. Way, way too short, but fun in that very short span of time. I can see why the GP enjoys it, they didn't have the hang ups the enthusiast community does.

I think we all need to remember coasters are supposed to be FUN, last time I checked. If anyone is this disappointed by the ride and thinks it's pointless, then don't go on it.

Agreed 100 percent!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
You trying to rationalize this as something other than filler is hilarious. Also, KBF has not had a big coaster in 13 years before Hangtime and they capitalized on a year of construction for Disney. And yes, I consider Silver Bullet the last big addition they had.

Unique California? You mean they found a company that was popular 15 years ago that has the name West Coast in it, they are adding palm trees, leaving or adding graffiti....sorry "street art" and calling it a day? The IP will be gone in less than 5 years, the operations will be an absolute nightmare because they will probably only run 2 trains after a few months, and this brings nothing unique to the park. Literally nothing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rideguy70

Mega Poster
You sure about that? This isn't like CW where they build Leviathan.. a bigger and sexier version of another ride in the park. This is a smaller and :emoji_poop:ter version of two other rides in the park that will NEVER duel because Six Flags. If you really think Six Flags ops will allow this ride to run as intended, you clearly haven't seen Six Flags over the course of.. forever.

I think this'll be different, because this time, the dueling doesn't depend on the ride ops or the guests to get the dueling. It's built into the design to sit and wait there until the other train is ready to launch.

Now, will you possibly be waiting there for eons? Probably, that's where the "Six Flags way" will come into play. But nevertheless, I actually do expect this one to race.

And really, in terms of TC not racing, let's be real... that crew works really hard. I'd say 80% of the time, if it doesn't race, it's the GP's fault.

Last edited:

John Knotts

Mega Poster
^^^^^ What planet have you been on? CP's attendance has been flat or down all summer long. SV for all it's greatness has not drawn guests back to the park as the company had hoped. Sure the one's in the park are going to line up for it, but people are not planning trips around it.

As for WCR being a filler ride, or course it is. And that's perfectly fine. If you think for one second SF is in a position to ever build an X2 or Tatsu ever again...well you're going to be disappointed every year!

John Knotts

Mega Poster
You trying to rationalize this as something other than filler is hilarious. Also, KBF has not had a big coaster in 13 years before Hangtime and they capitalized on a year of construction for Disney. And yes, I consider Silver Bullet the last big addition they had.

Unique California? You mean they found a company that was popular 15 years ago that has the name West Coast in it, they are adding palm trees, leaving or adding graffiti....sorry "street art" and calling it a day? The IP will be gone in less than 5 years, the operations will be an absolute nightmare because they will probably only run 2 trains after a few months, and this brings nothing unique to the park. Literally nothing.

Welcome to Six Flags. because that's all you're getting. Look around the chain. You're just now realizing this? Now that...I find hilarious.

rideguy70

Mega Poster

So you won't be in line for it then, right? Why waste your time on something that doesn't bring anything unique to a park. Better to boycott. :)

We did all think that TC would be in 2 train operations in a few months, but here we are 3 years later, and it's been running 3 trains for the vast majority of that time. It's easy to point out when SFMM screws up, but not so easy to point out where they're actually kept things up.

I will give you that I already thought that IP had died 5 years ago. :D But even if it did lose the IP in a few years, so what? Not like Terminator: Salvation changed much when its IP went away.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So you won't be in line for it then, right? Why waste your time on something that doesn't bring anything unique to a park. Better to boycott. :)

We did all think that TC would be in 2 train operations in a few months, but here we are 3 years later, and it's been running 3 trains for the vast majority of that time. It's easy to point out when SFMM screws up, but not so easy to point out where they're actually kept things up.

I will give you that I already thought that IP had died 5 years ago. :D But even if it did lose the IP in a few years, so what? Not like Terminator: Salvation changed much when its IP went away.
Twisted Colossus was supposed to have 4 trains. Did #4 ever show up? Or is it like Tatsu train 3 and just being used for parts instead of properly maintaining the trains.

Snoo

The Legend
^^^^^ What planet have you been on? CP's attendance has been flat or down all summer long. SV for all it's greatness has not drawn guests back to the park as the company had hoped. Sure the one's in the park are going to line up for it, but people are not planning trips around it.

As for WCR being a filler ride, or course it is. And that's perfectly fine. If you think for one second SF is in a position to ever build an X2 or Tatsu ever again...well you're going to be disappointed every year!

Try reading my whole statement. Weather is playing a much greater factor in attendance decline at most Cedar Fair parks. A new coaster isn't going to do diddly if it's seasonably MUCH hotter then it has been in years past. And yes.. they ARE planning trips around it? Guy, I live IN Ohio. I know a lot of GP folks who have or are planning to go to CP to ride that ride. Hell, we've had NUMEROUS European CFers plan to go to Cedar Point (Hixee was just here and added on CP to his regular trip for SV) as well as many other enthusiast groups, including nearly every major one.

You're trying to draw a this narrative around singular components when in reality, numerous factors are at play as to why CF has flat or declining attendance this year. Your narrative falls flat when you actually look at ALL of the reasons.

And it's funny.. CP has been doing what you say SFMM can't do for decades. Odd for the "thrill capital of the world" to not be able to live up to its own expectations. But of course the GP will flock to SFMM for a filler ride that isn't unique.. or good in most senses after one ride. As I said.. they will come, ride, and never ride again. GP expect more from SFMM and they've been underwhelmed for some time IMO.

John Knotts

Mega Poster
Try reading my whole statement. Weather is playing a much greater factor in attendance decline at most Cedar Fair parks. A new coaster isn't going to do diddly if it's seasonably MUCH hotter then it has been in years past. And yes.. they ARE planning trips around it? Guy, I live IN Ohio. I know a lot of GP folks who have or are planning to go to CP to ride that ride. Hell, we've had NUMEROUS European CFers plan to go to Cedar Point (Hixee was just here and added on CP to his regular trip for SV) as well as many other enthusiast groups, including nearly every major one.

You're trying to draw a this narrative around singular components when in reality, numerous factors are at play as to why CF has flat or declining attendance this year. Your narrative falls flat when you actually look at ALL of the reasons.

And it's funny.. CP has been doing what you say SFMM can't do for decades. Odd for the "thrill capital of the world" to not be able to live up to its own expectations. But of course the GP will flock to SFMM for a filler ride that isn't unique.. or good in most senses after one ride. As I said.. they will come, ride, and never ride again. GP expect more from SFMM and they've been underwhelmed for some time IMO.

LOL... Your friends planning a trip to CP isn't going to sure up their flat attendance. Their new attraction is failing... Period. Just because you're a fan or not a fan of an addition doesn't guarantee its success or failure .. Come on.

You're the one with a singular narrative .. If you don't like a ride choice, no one else is allowed to like it either. That narrative means a hill of beans to SFMM, who know their audience far better than you or I.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I know Californians are Californians, but surely even they would notice that this coaster is nothing special?