What's new

Seen But Never Been??

metalhead7

Mega Poster
This might just happen to me alot because my family takes alot of road trips but I was wondering if there were others who have seen alot of amusement parks but never been to them?

I'll start with the list of parks I have seen out the window of my car and never been to.

Cedar Point
Six Flags St. Louis
Castles/Coasters (Wisconsin Dells)
Six Flags Marine World
The Pavilion in Myrtle Beach SC

this is just the first few off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll think of more!!! So does anyone else have the same woes as me???

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Driving past Old Macdonald's Farm on the M25 breaks my heart every time.

LOL jk it's only got a Big Apple.

All the parks I've been past but never been to are ones I don't care about. So there you go, there's my input!

You passed by all those parks and didn't go?! Nonsense! The only one I haven't been in was Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, which was a bit of a bummer because it closed the following year.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
I've driven past Plopsaland numerous times,en route to De Panne for booze cruises,still never been in.

And just recently,we drove past all the signs for Parc Asterix,en route to DLP.

That's all.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There's only the one park that I can remember seeing (or signs for at least) but never actually visiting and that's Martin's Amusements Park (or something like that) in the USA. I remember researching it when I returned and realised I hadn't missed anything. :lol:

In the UK, I think I've visited all the parks that I've seen from the road. In fact, when I'm travelling to the park, I get a pang of excitement when I see the a ride from the road. Most notable are Stealth/Thorpe Park from the top of the M3, Flamingoland from the A-whatever and The Big One on the road immediately after the M55.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I can only think of Camelot from the M6 driving south away from Blackpool. It was in the early days when we were just getting into the coaster thing and although we were tempted to stop we didn't. It's still one of the notable gaps in my UK parks collection.

I'm with Ian, I LOVE spotting the park from a distance on the journey in. Really brings up the excitement. My fondest memories of that would be seeing Port Aventura or Europa Park after a drive across a foreign country.

Ben

CF Legend
Ian said:
There's only the one park that I can remember seeing (or signs for at least) but never actually visiting and that's Martin's Amusements Park (or something like that) in the USA. I remember researching it when I returned and realised I hadn't missed anything. :lol:.

Martin's Fantasy Island? It's the only Martin's on RCDB... and yes... then yes you did miss something...

Although, what in the Hell were you doing up there?

metalhead7

Mega Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
You passed by all those parks and didn't go?! Nonsense!

I went by most of them when I was little on road trips, my parents knew I was interested in roller coasters so they let me see the park but wouldn't let me go cause of either there wasn't enough time or money. :( I also went by Kings Dominon at least a dozen times on my way to my grandma's house, until we finally took a trip to richmond and I got to go!!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think I've only driven past a few and not actually been in (yet). Camelot springs to mind first, but to be honest I don't think I really want to go there at all... :( I also drove past Bagatelle a few years back, but again, I couldn't really be bothered (and didn't have the time) to go in. Maybe I will sometime... :p

marc

CF Legend
I walked past the Six Flags park in New Orleans but never went in, I wish I did now as 4 years later it got flooded.

I have driven past Old McDonalds Farm about a million times but have yet to go in there for the Apple Coaster :)

Snoo

The Legend
1. Knotts (Driving to SFMM.. we stopped by it first to meet up with someone. Shame.)
2. Idora Park (Legendary smaller park here in Youngstown. Sadly, it burned in the 80's and hasn't been open since but I did see the coasters in all their splendor before they finally tore them down in 2001. http://rcdb.com/4692.htm)
3. Strickers Grove (On a road trip and saw the rides but never stopped.)

Also drove past Kings Dominion and Sea World Orlando in 2007 but visited both last year so they don't count. :D

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I think the only park I have driven past but not been in is Lightwater Valley on the way up to Flamingoland. Plus if they count, a few travelling fairs.

Jer

Strata Poster
I've driven past Sea World Orlando and Island of Adventure on the way to the Disney resort years ago.

We also drive past Dorney on the way to my sisters school, but I went there last year so it does not count.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
One I can remember back as a kid, was when we were visiting friends we used to pass a large fairground, and we'd ask dad if we could stop there.

His reply was always "yes, if you'd like to spend the day there instead"

We never did stop there...

s15c

Mega Poster
I've passed California's Great Adventure (not missing much), something something Pedro's (a wild mouse and coaster), and some random park in Greece. It had a rather large red coaster so I figured it couldn't be traveling. I've also flown over Thorpe, if that counts.

Ben

CF Legend
I don't actually think I've ever passed anywhere and not been back?

We passed Dorney and SFMM before going to them, but, went back and got the creds. Same with the parks in Florida, I passed IoA in 2001 and got spited, but, got the creds in 2006 so...

Oh, Mer de Sable near Paris spited us cause the cred was shut so we didn't bother going in.

That's the only ones I can think of...

Mark

Strata Poster
marc said:
I drive past Adventures Island every single day of the week lol.

Yes but you have been there too :p

I don't think there are any parks that I have driven past and never been to at all. There have been occasions when I have seen travelling fairs around and not been able to stop. There are a few seaside resorts I have see that I haven't managed to get on the rides yet though. Barri Island in Wales and most notably Brighton Pier... Damn you parents for taking me to a day on the beach with rides you wouldn't let me go on!!! (Actually I lie, Turbo wasn't even there then, that is how long ago it was!)