What's new

Seaworld, Orlando | Empire of the Penguin

Martyn B

CF Legend
I guess we need a thread for the new dark ride at Seaworld...

empire-of-the-penguin-antarctica.jpg

Previously described as the world’s coldest theme park attraction, Empire of the Penguin will take guests on a unique journey through near-freezing temperatures on a ride that SeaWorld now says will change from visit to visit.

Also revealed this week is the notion that Empire of the Penguin will offer guests a choice of intensities as passengers ride in 8-person vehicles, a first look at which was shown off in the new artwork below.

Though SeaWorld is still remaining tight-lipped as to exactly what visuals will be seen in the signature attraction that will be part of the larger Antarctica area of the park, the artwork does appear to confirm the rumored notion that ride vehicles will be free roaming rather than confined to a single track, particularly noticeable in the vehicle depicted in the background of the new artwork.

penguin-vehicle.jpg

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/04/s ... s-in-2013/

I'm sure someone has an upto date construction pic on here...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Empire of the Penguin | Seaworld, Orlando

Wow, that looks really fab :lol:

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Suits the rest of Seaworld, a bag of **** ;)

marc

CF Legend

I like the look of this, if it gets you that close to them it should be good.

gunmonkey

Roller Poster

Looks like a giant ice puck, which I guess fits the theme nicely. Please say it's launched from the station with a huge hockey stick

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

It looks awesome. One of the promo pictures I saw shows the boat making a splash which I guess means a drop!

Nic

Strata Poster

I read somewhere that this will have three possible routes and that riders will choose which one they wish to take. Combine that with the quote above about "a choice of intensities" and that makes sense. What happens if you get multiple parties in the same car and they want to take different routes? Unless there will be different queues for the different routes?

Lofty

CF Legend

Yeah, it really is hard to see how they're going to do it, mess it's like that Curse of Tutankhamun attraction in which your route is chosen by the amount of points you get. This is the only way I think they'd be able to do it?

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Looks like a good addition to Sea World. Intrested on how well they pull off the freezing tempatures. Surely the air conditioning bill will be massive :lol:

oriolat2

Giga Poster

Lofty said:
Yeah, it really is hard to see how they're going to do it, mess it's like that Curse of Tutankhamun attraction in which your route is chosen by the amount of points you get. This is the only way I think they'd be able to do it?

Originally, Labyrinth of the Minotaur at Terra Mítica used to be run like that. Basically, you had three exits, depending on the cars' scoring (2 looser-exits and the final battle with the minotaur). This feature received so many complaints that the park had to reprogram the ride to run all the way to the end no matter the score.

Then again, Empire of the Penguin is not meant to be a shooter (is it?), so I don't really know how this is going to work. Perhaps a bit like Pooh at Tokyo Disneyland where cars don't take different routes but interact differently with the sets in the same room.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Nemesis of oblivion said:
Looks like a good addition to Sea World. Intrested on how well they pull off the freezing tempatures. Surely the air conditioning bill will be massive :lol:
Well if Pleasure Beach can do it, im sure SeaWorld can. :lol:

Lofty

CF Legend

oriolat2 said:
Lofty said:

Originally, Labyrinth of the Minotaur at Terra Mítica used to be run like that. Basically, you had three exits, depending on the cars' scoring (2 looser-exits and the final battle with the minotaur). This feature received so many complaints that the park had to reprogram the ride to run all the way to the end no matter the score.

Then again, Empire of the Penguin is not meant to be a shooter (is it?), so I don't really know how this is going to work. Perhaps a bit like Pooh at Tokyo Disneyland where cars don't take different routes but interact differently with the sets in the same room.
Wait, Labyrinth actuall SCORED? When I rode there wasn't a scoe anywhere of an kind to be seen ha.

Nic

Strata Poster

I imagine it to be more of a "queue here to get wet, queue here to spin round loads, or queue here if you're boring" type thing. That way it would be quite easy to have the first car always do route a, and always fill it from queue 1, the second always does route b etc. I don't know.

As for the whole keeping it cold thing, I imagine it'll work in a similar way to the one at Kelly Tarlton's in Auckland. They've got this part dark ride, part penguin enclosure thing where the penguins live on real snow in a refrigerated room. They've got those plastic strip curtain things over the doors. Whilst I'd hope SeaWorld might come up with a more high-tech, elegant solution... it's SeaWorld!

Here's a vid of the KT's one so you can see what I mean -
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm2NvdPd4c4[/youtube]

oriolat2

Giga Poster

Lofty said:
Wait, Labyrinth actuall SCORED? When I rode there wasn't a scoe anywhere of an kind to be seen ha.

Well, Minotaur has always scored but it wasn't obvious (as in, there was no screen to check your scoring), but as of 2007/2008, the park added screens on the vehicle to check your scoring throughout the ride just like any other shooter.

Lofty

CF Legend

oriolat2 said:
Lofty said:

Well, Minotaur has always scored but it wasn't obvious (as in, there was no screen to check your scoring), but as of 2007/2008, the park added screens on the vehicle to check your scoring throughout the ride just like any other shooter.
Ah, that makes sense, last time I went we were completely clueless as to what we were actually doing, it's a good ride though.

Rachel

Coaster MILF

This looks like a really good addition to the park, hope it's open by the time I go next year (June).

nadroJ

CF Legend

^It should be Rachel, I believe they said they're aiming for a spring opening for this attraction.

I love how unknown and mysterious everything still is about this ride, I literally still have no idea what to expect! Exciting :)