What's new

Saw Alive: Thorpe Park Horror Maze for 2010

A

Anonymous

Okay so it isn't scary, theres no electrocution or nudity?
Looks like it's already lost thorpes target audience of chavs. :clubbed:

Ollie

CF Legend
That sucks. No electricity and no 'real' boobies? There goes everything most people were excited about. :(
Not sure why this has happened though.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Electricity = Health and Safety...

Real boobs = Potential upsetting people... Especially knowing the British...

So yeah, a disappointment at Thorpe? :lol:

AJ

Giga Poster
If the photos on the sun are from celeb night, the 'naked woman' was always in a skin coloured unitard.

Jake

Strata Poster
Has anyone been at the front of the group yet? I heard today that only the person at the front gets the 'shock', when pushing the gate leaving the corridor open? It's probably BS, but that's what I heard...

Ollie

CF Legend
^The gate's on a spring though so anyone who touches it should get it in theory. I'm not sure. I'll have to test it out when I go.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I did it in the front and the back. At the front you push a gate. It has signs saying its electrifyed, but nothing actually happens...

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
SAW_gameover said:
I will say now, that SAW: Alive is amazing :) Yes, it may not be 'jumpy' or run out screaming scary, but the atmosphere in all of the scenes is just brilliant. All of the rooms, (With the exception of the electric corridor, which I can confirm doesn't electricute, I guess its been turned off) are oozing with SAWness. The actors in each trap really got into their roles and played them exceptionally well (Apart from the pig, who was kinda pathetic, but thats because she was just a little woman in a mask, not really intimidating). I'll admit, the first time I left it, I was sort of dissapointed, but after returning to it and thinking about it, it is actually really good, maybe not for scaring but for the effort and the atmosphere each room creates, I love it :)

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - You're just a fanboy... :p

I saw more "WTF" faces than of terror or delight off the GP. I came out seriously disappointed and extremely ripped off and a lot of people coming out of it looked pissed off...

A-Kid said:
What do I think of Alive?

I did it twise.

The theming was VERY good on the inside. Its got that very clever lighting that the films and the sets are highly detailed. Some effects are really cool. Thats probally the good points. A bit crap on the outside though.

For a maze? It wasn't scary in any way. A bit jumpy sometimes. It was too short. I could go through without even noticing a particular scene if I really wanted.

How long would I wait to go on it? Not very long. 20 - 30 mins max. Its just not worth any more for a 3/4 min walk.

I had to go around twise because it had a technical problem half way through our first run. All the lights came on and a load of announcements.

The theming was just OK... I could have done that myself with some cotton wool, some paint and a few scene-lights. It was literally JUST textured surfaces highlighted by light which is piss easy to do...

It's just a really bland attraction and not even worthy of calling it a new park addition.

Ollie

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
The theming was just OK... I could have done that myself with some cotton wool, some paint and a few scene-lights.
Go on then. I challenge you to make anything even half as well themed that Saw Alive is. :p

Ollie

CF Legend
^I've seen images and although I can't pass off the full attraction just from them I can see the level of themeing in the photos. I much harder to build an immersive environment than you might thing. Making a whole scene to look like the actual scenes from the most famous horror franchise ever differs alot from making a few props for some media project. :p

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ LOL Ollie, stop it :p

Only 1 room has seriously level of theming and thats the toilet... The rest is just painted textured walls with bits sticking down from the ceiling to fill the room up a bit.

Admitted, I've not made something on the scale of Saw Alive, but I have done a room bigger than a scene in Saw Alive though obviously, on a limited budget and whatnot... But I could say, given a paintbrush and the money, anybody could have made this.

The rooms are about 2 times the size of a box bedroom in a house... The pictures make them look much bigger...

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
^ LOL Ollie, stop it :p

Only 1 room has seriously level of theming and thats the toilet... The rest is just painted textured walls with bits sticking down from the ceiling to fill the room up a bit.

Admitted, I've not made something on the scale of Saw Alive, but I have done a room bigger than a scene in Saw Alive though obviously, on a limited budget and whatnot... But I could say, given a paintbrush and the money, anybody could have made this.

The rooms are about 2 times the size of a box bedroom in a house... The pictures make them look much bigger...

I really don't see how the rooms aren't well themed. The bathroom scene, yes it is my favourite, but some of the other rooms are equaly well themed. The Mausoleum/Blind-Mute trap has good themeing. The pendulum trap has the huge pendulum mechanism and whatever else up in the ceiling; the freezer room is about as themed as it could of been. Thats the thing with most of the scenes, everything that is actually in the movie; is there. The Electric corridor could of been themed better, but then again, the scene it's based on is a tiny staircase with a few boxes and mannequins/Traps etc around it, and they have included quite alot of random things behind the fences. It's the same with the Carousel Trap, in essence, in SAW VI all that trap is, is the carousel/shotgun/hand peircing device in a large room with some red lights, and with the limited space they've got on the belle, they've pulled it off, just without the large room.

Ollie

CF Legend
They've done really well seeing the small space they had to build in. There's still room to add extra scenes when each new film comes out though. Plus they had to fit the photo booth section at the end.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ So THAT explains the poor response it had all day?

Everyone came out miserable with the exception of one or two who are just general over-acting scaredycats.

They have not pulled anything off at all. They could have made it more interesting by using the upper deck, but nope, not even that...

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
^ So THAT explains the poor response it had all day?

Everyone came out miserable with the exception of one or two who are just general over-acting scaredycats.

They have not pulled anything off at all. They could have made it more interesting by using the upper deck, but nope, not even that...

No, it doesn't explain the poor response. The poor response was due to the fact that Thorpe marketed this as an extreme horror maze, something that will make you jump, and be scared ****less; which it was clearly never going/intended to be. So when people go in expecting something along the lines of The Asylum, and then don't really get scared at all, they are going to look dissapointed. So, no it isn't a scary maze, but yes, the theming is top notch. Oh, and as for the upper deck, I can only assume that it'll be used for future rooms, they will probably add one when SAW VII comes out, and then add more scenes from previous movies (Presuming they finish with VII). They wouldn't keep it the same year after year.

Ollie

CF Legend
Well it's been confirmed that there's going to be at least nine Saw movies, so they've got room to add at least one scene from the next three films.
Erol, SAW_gameover is right and I've mentioned it a few times before as well. This is not meant to be some extreme scare maze. It's bad that Thorpe are making it look like one as it's giving people the wrong idea. It's meant to be an atmospheric and theatrical experience with a couple of jumpy bits thrown in. Saw isn't a horror film. It's just a gory crime, thriller so if people are expecting this to be the next Asylum them they're getting the wrong idea.