What's new

Roughest/Worst coaster you've ridden?

Matt N

CF Legend
My personal choice has got to be Colossus at Thorpe Park, closely followed by Rita at Alton Towers. Both are very rough coasters. A dishonourable mention must also go to Rattlesnake at Chessington.

Peet

Giga Poster
I think the worst coaster I've ever had the pleasure of riding has to be this one, Mad Mouse at M&D's in Scotland. It's just so rough that you can't enjoy it, which is a shame, because visually, it's the parks best looking coaster which says more about the park than the coaster to be honest!
At least the cars stay on the track on that one.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Ironically, Tsunami wasn't that rough - with the 'pillow' restraints, you could hardly tell you were riding anything. Still a shame it was spited the way it was.

I need to do a reshuffle of my Bottom 11 list, after Baco tried to murder me back in October and I found out that not even the new restraints could save Arkham Asylum - Shock Therapy. They were right to theme that coaster as the creation of a deranged super villain...

Will

Strata Poster
They're not much fun, but there's far worse in the world. Bandit especially gets a lot more abuse than it actually gives out :p

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Some of you lot need to toughen up a bit. The likes of Rita and Colossus don't seem rough to me at all! Grand National I'll accept but the roughness is part of the fun!
A really rough coaster will give you bruises, and for that reason Tornado at M&Ds is my winner/loser.
Dishonourable mention for Goliath at SFNE which wasn't exactly rough but was very uncomfortable and just disgusting. :(

Efan

Mega Poster
Some of you lot need to toughen up a bit. The likes of Rita and Colossus don't seem rough to me at all! Grand National I'll accept but the roughness is part of the fun!
A really rough coaster will give you bruises, and for that reason Tornado at M&Ds is my winner/loser.
Dishonourable mention for Goliath at SFNE which wasn't exactly rough but was very uncomfortable and just disgusting. :(
Same, I'll be honest I don't think those two are rough at all really. I don't recall much roughness on Colossus at all.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I honestly don't find Rita rough whatsoever, don't really understand why people slate it for that so much. Roughest I've been on has gotta be Grand National I think, but it's one of my faves, purely because it might be the only coaster I've felt significant airtime on.

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
I honestly don't find Rita rough whatsoever, don't really understand why people slate it for that so much. Roughest I've been on has gotta be Grand National I think, but it's one of my faves, purely because it might be the only coaster I've felt significant airtime on.
Agreed on Grand National, it's for sure rougher than Rita and Colossus but it's an awful lot better for its age. Rita isn't exactly painful but the train just shudders the whole way round now to the point of not being enjoyable.

cp23

Mega Poster
X2 was pretty bumpy, but I still don't think I've ridden anything which has shaken me up quite as much as The Ultimate.

Peet

Giga Poster
My roughest is probably Tornado at M&D's. I still went round for a second go though! It's quite a different ride experience as the seating position is very low; you almost sit on the floor of the car. Personally I don't really mind too much being bashed around in the name of fun.
Did anyone here ride Tornado before the corkscrew was removed?

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Has to be El Condor at Walibi Holland. When I rode it for the first time, I rode Xpress right before that and I was kinda spoiled by that (in a "look at that, Vekoma really isn't as bad as people make it" fashion). Needless to say, I was wrong.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I'd have to say Thunderhawk at MI Adventure.
While I've heard there's much rougher SLCs, this one was pretty bad compared to the other coasters I've ridden.
Well, it's been a year and this opinion's changed. The roughest coaster I've ridden is now Grizzly (KD) for wooden and a tie between Flying Cobras, Nighthawk, and Kiddy Hawk steel. However, for Grizzly, the roughness made the ride more enjoyable, and for Flying Cobras and Nighthawk, the roughness made the ride just slightly worse. However, for Kiddy Hawk, the ride is easily my least favorite roller coaster. Awful.

Peet

Giga Poster
Montezum at Hopi Hari - every other ride I have been on feels like floating on a cloud by comparison.

Matt N

CF Legend
Well, it's been a year and this opinion's changed. The roughest coaster I've ridden is now Grizzly (KD) for wooden and a tie between Flying Cobras, Nighthawk, and Kiddy Hawk steel. However, for Grizzly, the roughness made the ride more enjoyable, and for Flying Cobras and Nighthawk, the roughness made the ride just slightly worse. However, for Kiddy Hawk, the ride is easily my least favorite roller coaster. Awful.
What's the matter with Kiddy Hawk, out of interest? I often find that family rides can be good fun, despite not being the most thrilling of attractions!