What's new

Rollercoasters which are too intense?

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
Not sure I’ve found any that are too intense based off layout. However, I’ve found plenty that are **** based on bad train and track design. Goliath at SFNE falls in this category. Whacks you to smithereens. I guess if that falls under “intense,” then it’s that one

hendrixmarshall

Roller Poster
I was just gonna say Goliath at SFMM is the only ride that made me grey out. Kalistos beat me to it. And I go out of my way and set money aside when people say, "it literally tries to kill you every second"...

Intimidator 305 was horrific in the sense that I'm pretty sure my vision was greyed out for 90% of the ride.

I got mad heart palpitations on Flying Dinosaur with that half pretzel loop followed by the full pretzel loop.

Katun was a bit much but that was also because I rode it a few times consecutively which sort of ruined it for me.

Banshee but I was hot and feeling unwell to begin with.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but anything with excessive positive Gs is usually too much for me.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
^I'll second that. Zacspins and Reverchon spinning mice are the only coasters I can think of where the forces make them too intense to be fun. Of course, there's loads of old knackers where 'rough' can be mistaken for 'intense' (Ultimate, Nash, Bandit etc.. ) but if we're talking about forcefulness alone then it's the spinny things that get me. Yuck!
Not a Zacspin but similar: Green Lantern at Magic Mountain in its opening year spun with a force and speed that was hard to believe. I mean, literally. When I was waiting in line, multiple groups kept looking up at it going and leaving. I found myself walking forward very quickly through the line (when does that happen? Not one group but many?). Then as for the actual ride, I could handle the insane spins, but the way that it flung me head first over the cliffs of the ride was kind of mentally/physically overwhelming, as if it were not something the brain was meant to handle. Soon afterward, the park modified the ride to make it spin less, and the main complaint from people shifted to the feeling of being banged up in awkward parts of the body.

Also, as other people have mentioned this type of ride, my first ride on X2 (when it was called X) felt overwhelming. I remember getting off thinking, but I love intense coasters; if I could barely handle this, how are people not having heart attacks on this ride? Now I’m a bit more used to it.

Still, these two coasters have always been my answer to this sort of question. I’m glad to see several others now saying the same kind of thing.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Not a Zacspin but similar: Green Lantern at Magic Mountain in its opening year spun with a force and speed that was hard to believe. I mean, literally. When I was waiting in line, multiple groups kept looking up at it going and leaving. I found myself walking forward very quickly through the line (when does that happen? Not one group but many?). Then as for the actual ride, I could handle the insane spins, but the way that it flung me head first over the cliffs of the ride was kind of mentally/physically overwhelming, as if it were not something the brain was meant to handle. Soon afterward, the park modified the ride to make it spin less, and the main complaint from people shifted to the feeling of being banged up in awkward parts of the body.
Might be missing something in your phrasing here, but Green Lantern is a Zac Spin. It's the generic model type:

https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=8121

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
Green Lantern at SFMM definitely was too intense for me. The last time I rode Mean Streak was 2010 and that ride was so rough I swore I'd never ride it again (and didn't). The only other ride that got me was Lightning Rod. Maybe it was spending two days riding coasters, maybe it was the three other rides on LR, but after that quad down on the 4th ride I had to call it quits for the day. I actually stumbled a little as I got off the coaster, which has never happened before.

Littlebrotoby

Roller Poster
One that I found really intense, maybe a bit too intense, was Revolution at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, I looked at it and thought, eh its just one loop, but that thing was intense.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Aw, now you've made me even more bitter for missing the damned thing a month after it opened. The posted time was 1 hour at the time, so it just wasn't worth the wait considering all of the other coasters we still had to do that day. We tried going back just before leaving, but they've already closed off the queue for regular visitors by then... :/
Any idea on how fast you got on it, compared to the posted queue time?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Aw, now you've made me even more bitter for missing the damned thing a month after it opened. The posted time was 1 hour at the time, so it just wasn't worth the wait considering all of the other coasters we still had to do that day. We tried going back just before leaving, but they've already closed off the queue for regular visitors by then... :/
Any idea on how fast you got on it, compared to the posted queue time?
It was a long time ago, so I couldn’t say for sure, but I’d guess 20 minutes on that day.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
One that I found really intense, maybe a bit too intense, was Revolution at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, I looked at it and thought, eh its just one loop, but that thing was intense.
If it is your first inverting coaster indeed, some strong negatives on the launches,

No body else has mentioned them but apart from the trackwork does anyone find Pinfari loopers to have far to much g force?