• Rollercoaster

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
In the private team form, the team are discussing using capital letters and whatnot in #hashtags. We then started to discuss "roller coaster" and "rollercoaster".

Which one do you prefer to use?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I personally would use "roller coaster" as separate words, but I don't think there's anything wrong with "rollercoaster".

Google, Wikipedia and RCDB all seem to use the 'separated' version (even when you search for the 'combined' form):

Capture3_zps3erzepif.png

Capture_zpspq6eqrzz.png

Capture2_zpsyae9kvhq.png

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The noun is roller coaster, while rollercoaster is a verb or adjective meaning to go up and down like a roller coaster as in "The plane rollercoastered through the turbulence" or "OMG, that was a rollercoaster of a flight."

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I hate to be that guy, but it's definitely NOT an adjective and using it as a verb is very tenuous.

Anyway, two words.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Just went by this:
dictionary.com said:
verb (used without object)
1. to go up and down like a roller coaster; rise and fall.
2. to experience a period of prosperity, happiness, security, or the like, followed by a contrasting period of economic depression, despair, or the like.
adjective
3. of, relating to, or characteristic of a roller coaster.
4. resembling the progress of a ride on a roller coaster in sudden extreme changeableness.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm not asking what is the correct way to write it, but your preferred way, or the way you think looks better.

davidm

Strata Poster
I know its roller coaster, but I frequently write rollercoaster - I think of it as one word so it should be one word.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I think it looks weird as two separate words. I've always written rollercoaster! I think it looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Roller coaster might be 'correct'.. but it looks wrong.
I prefer rollercoaster.
Hey, you did ask.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
You can't argue with The Ohio Players. :wink:

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkVV9xxCHE[/youtubevid]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I have always used Roller Coaster, and assumed Rollercoaster was a British spelling; similar to color - colour or aluminum - aluminium.