What's new

Rollercoaster Factorys

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Has anyone been to a rollercoaster frabrication plant? Or have pictures?

Triggered by looking at Dare Devil Dive Coaster in Georgia I went on a mission to look for pictures of coasters being fabricated, I've always been curious about how each track segment is created and the environment in which it is done.

I stumbled across this article in a blog which shows the process with which B&M make their track in Ohio, I'm not sure if this a well known article as it's quite old (2008) and a really interesting read, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's been posted before.

LINK.

npnbms14.jpg

npnbms16.jpg

I love how dingy and grimey life starts for these coasters.

I think the track being made is for Diamondback at Kings Island. I find it interesting that they do not allow the public to see how they actually make the track bits, only how they put it together, and also how they now use bar codes on the deliveries to stop THOSE PESKY ENTHUSIASTS leaking what the new ride will be. I like that they keep a few secrets.

Anyway I would still KILL to see this stuff in real life, I've watched so many constructions but I'm always what happens to the ride before we catch our first glimpse of it. Does anyone know if any companies do actual tours for the public? and have you been to see this for yourself anywhere?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've never been on a factory tour (namely because there are none in the UK), but I hear that Vekoma are quite accommodating. I think AeRo visited them once.

Ben

CF Legend
I've been to the GCI offices/some sort of building plant...

Couldn't take photos though... Sorry.

andrus

Giga Poster
Interesting topic! I would love to see more in depth information of the manufacturing process :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've never been to one, but that article certainly was a great read! Thanks for sharing!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I might be making a visit to the Vekoma plant in China this Summer. I don't know if it's been worked out yet or not.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I wouldn't have though there would be rollercoaster factories as such, it's more likely to be a workshop owned a by a subcontractor that will fabricate many different types of metallic (namely carbon steel) products. The precise designs/construction drawings with dimensions and everything on will be given to the fabricators.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Don't have much to contribute other than a photo of Alpengiest being worked on at the Ohio factory.

alpengeist-construction2.jpg

Looks like it's a scan from a magazine.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I wouldn't have though there would be rollercoaster factories as such, it's more likely to be a workshop owned a by a subcontractor that will fabricate many different types of metallic (namely carbon steel) products. The precise designs/construction drawings with dimensions and everything on will be given to the fabricators.

Yeah I would've thought that's what's done. In the article, this fabrication plant made supports for Vortex at Kings Island and Ken Miller (the owner) was approached by B&M in 1989. It seems they work purely with them now as he says "Now they keep us busy seven days a week with all their projects". So although it may have been a workshop that works on many projects it seems nowadays B&M give them enough work on their own!

What is interesting is that the actual rollercoaster rails arrive to the plant from Europe. So they must be made over in Switzerland (I'm guessing).

Mike

Giga Poster
I went on the same GCI "Factory" tour that Ben was on.
It was semi-interesting, if not expected (A wooden coaster is made out of a lot of wood, nuts and bolts... Who knew?!).

Nothing else to add. :-\

Jake

Strata Poster
Ben said:
I've been to the GCI offices/some sort of building plant...

Couldn't take photos though... Sorry.

All I remember about that is sitting on that red ant nest outside and getting eaten alive <//3.