What's new

Roller Coaster Day 2020 Survey

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This is not your typical “best roller coaster” survey!

We’re not going to ask you what your top coaster is, or what park you like the most, because those questions get asked all the time. We want to ask you what you love about roller coasters and what you enjoy the most about your hobby! We need to collect your results, make fancy charts, and be ready to present them on Roller Coaster Day, so you only have until Friday, 14th August to submit your answers.

Take the survey here: https://coasterforce.com/survey-2020/

Matt N

CF Legend
Deadline a week before I can tick that 1000+ button. What a tease.
At least you could tick the 900-999 button, which is more than a fair few can tick! I’m still only ticking the 1-99 button, and likely will be for a few more years yet...

Great survey, CF team! Some very interesting and different questions in there, and I look forward to seeing the results on 16th August!

Trax

Hyper Poster
I hope my answer for best inversion will be counted: The 270° Double Inverting cornerstall is missing from the list of inversions :)

Oh and: I also missed "Intensity" as favourite part of a coaster.

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I hope my answer for best inversion will be counted: The 270° Double Inverting cornerstall is missing from the list of inversions :)

If they were to include a list of every named inversion out there, you'd be trawling through RMC-exclusive elements for days! ?

Was surprised to not see pins as a merch option though!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Submitted. Surprisingly hard for me to choose a favourite inversion and type, it all depends on the ride itself as to what's good and what isn't...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ahhh, pins! Bollocks! Well thought @JoshC. Maybe next year.

And, tbh, the question about what do you like most about a coaster, that was a last minute entry otherwise “intensity” probably would’ve been included.

If we do something similar next year, we’ll make changes.

Thanks to everybody who has responded so far. Over 140 responses so far!

cocoa

Mega Poster
I am curious actually about the credit# statistic of people here. I wonder where the average sort of falls. I suspect there's a few really high credit people, and then a bunch of regular chaps who just have never quite gotten away enough to really smash the count. I would suspect 100-199 is maybe the most popular category but I'm very curious to see!

emoo

Hyper Poster
Ran to be the first to ride a coaster. Is that of the day?

Side note, I might run to get one final ride on something before everything closes.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Hope it counts, was my choice too, although I forgot the 270 part ? Amateur!!!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The results will be announced tomorrow morning, but as it's Roller Coaster Day Eve, you can open one present now...

Roller Coaster Day Eve wouldn't be complete without a festive poem now, would it...

T'was the night before Credmas, when all through the house
Not a cred was stirring, not even Wild Mouse.
The stockings were hung at Thorpe with care,
In hopes that Fred Grubb soon would be there.

The goons were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of Mack spinners danced in their heads.
...yadda yadda yadda

(Can't wait for more goon graphs!)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Really cool results!

I'm one of those people who's less bothered where I sit on coasters. Mostly because it varies on ride-to-ride: most launch coasters I prefer the front, same with Gerstlauer single car rides, but Inverts and Woodies the back is usually better. But for most other rides, I find it doesn't really make that much difference. And even with the rides I have a preference, as long as they're good rides, they're good wherever.

Really striking that the number of people with 700-999 creds is the same as those with 1000+. Especially with the spike at 400-499. Would suggest that hitting 500 is a huge milestone (makes sense; realistically most people will have been to a lot of major parks across 2 continents to hit that, with maybe a visit to a third as well). Then after that, you either just slowly gain more, or you go all in and go to lots of major parks across 3 continents, along with collecting loads of the +1s everywhere, and just seem to eventually hit 1000 sooner or later.

Thanks again for doing this!

Reactions: Ian

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Happy Roller Coaster Day!

Full results can be read here: https://coasterforce.com/coaster-survey-results/
What a bloody fantastic idea!!! Really enjoyed reading through that, thank you for arranging it and putting it together.

Couple of surprises there, having not ridden a traditional Giga (Red Force not counted) So I was surprised to see hypers win out.

And despite being a fan of airtime, I thought most people who liked inversions would prefer the more intense types. Have always found Zero G rolls a bit less exciting than other inversions personally.

One question, was ‘That THING on untamed’ omitted because you class it as an element, or due to less than 5 votes?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
One question, was ‘That THING on untamed’ omitted because you class it as an element, or due to less than 5 votes?
Bit of both really. It is more elementy than inversiony, and it had 3 submissions. The “free entry” questions were a bit of pickle to sort through. So many options submitted, so I had to unfortunately draw a line somewhere to make it manageable. It’s the first year of doing this so next year I’ll have a better idea how to present it and what to expect.

I really enjoyed gooning out to the results with a bottle of gin on Friday night. Thanks once again to everybody who submitted!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I mean some of them were hard to choose. For instance, for me, it greatly varies whether I like front or back best depending on the coaster. For example, rougher rides, such as SLCs and Gerstlauer Infinitys are generally better in the front. Whereas smooth, intense coasters, I generally prefer in the back. Sometimes varies between individual rides too, as I like Wicker Man best on the back and Wodan best on the front.

Also, I kind of wish there was a section on the merch question about authentic ride parts and maps, as that's pretty much all I do merch-wise. Overall great poll though. And why is it not called International Roller Coaster Day? Because I think fundamentally it should be.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
And why is it not called International Roller Coaster Day? Because I think fundamentally it should be.
Because America IS the world, didn't you realise? ;)

EDIT: CF are obviously promoting the "international" side of things (go see our various social media feeds today for lots of global content for roller coaster day), as we're not basic. :p

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Bit of both really. It is more elementy than inversiony, and it had 3 submissions. The “free entry” questions were a bit of pickle to sort through. So many options submitted, so I had to unfortunately draw a line somewhere to make it manageable. It’s the first year of doing this so next year I’ll have a better idea how to present it and what to expect.

I really enjoyed gooning out to the results with a bottle of gin on Friday night. Thanks once again to everybody who submitted!

Oh I completely understand both reasons, was just interested to see which it was (and how many other people chose it, thanks, as I think it’s incredible, like nothing else ever!)

You’ve done a great job, I can definitely appreciate how difficult the free choice questions were to sort through ?

The only thing I would ask, and this is not a slight on you, as again, great job, but as a general question to you and others here, completely aside from the poll. What makes it more of an element and less of an inversion than say a bat wing or cobra roll? Is it the quantity of those other elements out there that give them that status of an inversion rather than a unique element?

Last edited: