What's new

Robin Hood Attraction

peep

CF Legend
Just seen the following article on BBC News:

Sherwood Forest could get a £13m Robin Hood-themed attraction under new plans.

The proposal features a new forest visitor centre, a medieval-style castle and areas for events and entertainment related to the legendary outlaw.

Nottinghamshire County Council said the privately funded venture would bring major investment into the area, while still protecting the forest.

Officials said the new visitor centre could be open by summer 2014 with the main attraction ready by spring 2015.

The project would lead to the existing visitor facilities and car park near Edwinstowe closing down, with the new attraction built on nearby open land.

'Robin's heartland'

The council hopes it will create up to 100 jobs.

The chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council's culture committee, John Cottee, said: "The county council is committed to raising the profile of Robin and Sherwood locally, nationally and internationally, whilst at the same time protecting ancient Sherwood Forest for future generations.

"This exciting venture will also create and sustain jobs for Nottinghamshire people."

Discovery Attractions, the firm which has designed the scheme, said Robin Hood was a global brand that "deserved to be celebrated".

Bob White, chairman of the World Wide Robin Hood Society, said: "These are exciting times for everyone who loves Robin Hood.

"It is wonderful to hear of these plans which will bring benefits to all - and in Robin's heartland of Sherwood Forest."

In August Nottingham City Council launched a consultation on plans for a new visitor centre at Nottingham Castle.

Link with picture

Sounds quite promising and that pic of the proposed plans make it look great.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hopefully it'll be more popular than the *cough* fantastic "Tales of Robin Hood" in Nottingham city centre.

Though of course, those who have done their homework know that it's unlikely Robin Hood had anything to do with Nottingham or Nottinghamshire (he was a Staffordshire lad) and that Sherwood Forest once covered the country right across the Midlands pretty much from the East coast in Lincolnshire almost to the Welsh borders (Salop was always a bit Welsh ;) ). Some of the tales are almost certainly based on a land dispute between Lord Stafford (Duke of Buckingham) and the Ferrers family in the 14th Century. Ferrers owned the land between two of Stafford's properties and Stafford wanted the whole land to be his. They became locked in a political and physical scrabble over the land. The land was Loxley and it's probably one of Ferrers men at arms who became part of the mythology, with Stafford classing him as an outlaw (most knights and professional soldiers at the time were little more than outlaws, brigands and mercenaries) to sully Ferrers' name. Loxley was on the Western edge of Sherwood Forest at the time.

Of course, the Ferrers eventually changed their name... Part of the family became known as Furie ;)

Though it's all theory and little that was written was contemporary; just a few poems.

However, good luck to Nottingham milking it :D

Jake

Strata Poster
^ Open your eyes babez. It OPENED between 2001 and 2004 but is still there. I got it in like, 2010...

Nic

Strata Poster
new forest visitor centre
But I thought he was meant to be from Sherwood Forest?

furie said:
Hopefully it'll be more popular than the *cough* fantastic "Tales of Robin Hood" in Nottingham city centre.
I've been there! Therefore, it must be awesome. I remember having one of those crap felt hats. Easily amused <3

I can't really get excited about this at all I'm afraid. That's if it even happens.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
*waits for Ben to post "I'll never happen".*