What's new

Robb Alvey & Ryan go to the Delorean Factory!

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Here is a random Photo TR that we posted to TPR that seemed to be very popular amoung coaster enthusaists. Apparently, a lot of coaster geeks are also movie and car geeks...and a lot of car and movie geeks seem to be Delorean geeks since the car crosses over into theme parks, cars, and movies!

Anyway, part of the agreement for Ryan coming to help babysit KidTums this week while we worked on 2009 TPR trips and DVDs is that I would take him to the Delorean shop in Orange County to get a part for his car.

A couple of things to note - since I was a teenager during the whole "Back to the Future" movies and remember the Delorean Motor Company coming and going this was quite interesting for me to see. Interesting just in the fact that DMC is still around in some form or another. And without the movie, I wonder if that would be the case? So to me it was very interesting to see how pop culture has played an important role in a would-be defunct company still operating, even in a small form, 24 years AFTER the first movie came out!

The guys at the shop were very nice and actually seemed very enthusiastic for Ryan restoring his car. It's almost like they were passing the Delorean baton to the next generation. It was kind of cool. You probably have to be a nerdy car enthusiast to really appreciate it all, but then again we're nerdy roller coaster enthusiasts so I kind of "get it"

Anyway, onto the photos....

delorean_02_198.jpg

Here we are at the Delorean shop on Orange County...yes the company still exists today!

delorean_03_177.jpg

$51 bucks gets you this cool DMC emblem. You can easily turn that Toyota into a Delorean! =)

delorean_04_148.jpg

"Hello Mr. Cable. I drove 4 hours in traffic for you!"

delorean_05_280.jpg

The mostly purple Delorean was getting a makeover for one of the LA Lakers!

delorean_06_208.jpg

Another Delorean was getting the gold plated treatment. (It helps with the time travel)

delorean_07_870.jpg

"Do you think they'd notice one or two missing pieces?"

delorean_08_113.jpg

This Delorean was getting the makeover so it can fly. (Dude, I'm serious! Didn't you see the movie?"

delorean_10_997.jpg

A closer look at Mr. Purple just in case you wanted to do this to your car.

delorean_11_589.jpg

And just in case you were wondering, yes, they do still build time machines at the Delorean factory. This one is getting coverted now. (Doc Brown even called and was like "DAMN! DAMN DAMN! WHERE IS THAT CAR?")

delorean_12_110.jpg

"Do you have any idea how much this table is worth in Fresno? No, not the car parts, all our cars are broken...I'm talking about the actual table!"

delorean_13_118.jpg

Heh, I see you little time machine shifter thingy!

delorean_14_387.jpg

Yup.

delorean_15_211.jpg

All hail BTTF!

delorean_16_179.jpg

Lots of cars getting worked on. I mean, time travel puts a lot of wear on these suckers!

delorean_18_127.jpg

I'm expecting Doc Brown to pop out any second!

delorean_19_206.jpg

If you are in the market for a Delorean...they've got a few!

delorean_20_136.jpg

Yes! Here is it! An actual, working, full functioning TIME MACHINE!

delorean_21_638.jpg

BTTF fans will fine the next few photos very interesting!

delorean_22_789.jpg

Time circuits are very simple to operate..."On" "Off" That's it!

delorean_24_782.jpg

We should set the time machine to go back to Jeff Johnson's birthday except we found out that the Delorean actually can't travel back that far!

delorean_25_140.jpg

The Flux Capacitor was invented on November 5, 1955 by Dr. Emmett Brown. It's what makes time travel possible.

delorean_28_210.jpg

"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour...you're gonna see some serious s**t!"

delorean_29_171.jpg

"Someone please go back in time and slap a condom on Ryan's dad!!!"

delorean_30_294.jpg

Yes, it's Mr. Fusion. I love how something that solves the world's energy crisis is called "Mister" Fusion.

delorean_31_124.jpg

Yes, that is the Back to the Future Delorean in all it's glory, and yes that is Ryan having sex with it!

delorean_32_682.jpg

This one was signed by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale. If you know who those two guys are, go get yourself an "I'm a nerd cookie!"

delorean_33_199.jpg

OMG! All those Alton Towers code names came from a Delorean!!!

delorean_35_195.jpg

Close up on the Flux Capacitor because it IS the most important component to time travel.

delorean_36_127.jpg

Ryan looks very "satisfied", the Delorean...not so much...

delorean_37_461.jpg

Nerd shot #1

delorean_38_964.jpg

Nerd shot #2

delorean_39_138.jpg

Feet shot #1

delorean_40_153.jpg

Mr. Fusion looks a LOT like a coffee grinder...hmm....

delorean_41_205.jpg

All of our license plates will look like this in the future...

delorean_43_118.jpg

AHA!!! The Delorean is the result of massive Guinness consumption!!!

delorean_44_621.jpg

Wheel.

delorean_45_654.jpg

WHEEL XTREEMEEE CLOSE UP!

delorean_46_191.jpg

More random parts.

delorean_47_686.jpg

These shirts scream "Do me baby...DO ME NOW!"

delorean_48_157.jpg

"I'm going to use this toy to pleasure Marianna!"

delorean_50_434.jpg

Chrome engine...yup!

delorean_51_111.jpg

Delorean comes in many shapes and sizes.

delorean_52_738.jpg

OMG! You can buy a flux capacitor here for $325! Who knew? Now your Ford Focus can also double a time machine!!!

delorean_53_133.jpg

Ryan says "Our day at Delorean is now complete. I've got my cable, my stickers, and yes, I'm going to need a new change of panties and a box of tissues, but MAN, that was better than normal sex!"

Hope you enjoyed this very random Photo TR!

--Robb

Kebab

Giga Poster
I'd take myself as a movie geek. :p
I'm not really a car geek :lol:

I want to get a nice car when I'm older to drive, but I'm not as knowledgeble on cars than I am on Coasters and computer games.

Random but great Trip Report :--D

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If you like car factories, Robb, I'd suggest the Corvette Factory in Bowling Green next time you're at Beech Bend.

It's free for a factory tour (well it was in 2004) but I'm afraid there's no time travelling involved. Although I did spot a man with white, wild, wispy hair and a shocked expression on his face.

Well worth a visit.

Error

Strata Poster
Deloreans are one of those cars I REALLY want. They're really nice looking, and I saw one drive down my road during my open house. They must cost a pretty penny to own, insure, and maintain.

Still, they are cool as hell. Does your friend own one?

Nadia

Mega Poster
Mmmmm Deloreans are super sexy :D :D :D I'd love one of those, so metallicy and sexy!! Awesome trip report Robb, loved it!!

tks

Strata Poster
As much as Ryan is a tit for buying that car. It's awesome!! I'm still working on my time travelling Nova. the hard part is reaching 88 in it!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I think its the lack of appreciation for what they are, but I think Deloreans are ugly. Though, it would be cool to go to a place like this to actually see one. Though one upside, they have gull wing doors! :D

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Error said:
Deloreans are one of those cars I REALLY want. They're really nice looking, and I saw one drive down my road during my open house. They must cost a pretty penny to own, insure, and maintain.

Still, they are cool as hell. Does your friend own one?
Yeah, he does own one. He's been restoring it for the past 2 years now and it actually runs great!

As for how much they cost...

If you want a new one:
http://www.delorean.com/newbuild.asp

If you want a used one:
http://www.delorean.com/preowned.asp

--RObb

Karen

Hyper Poster
Nice!

Me and Phil saw one on the Birmingham UK spagettie junction, well we heard it before we saw it!