What's new

Rides with Morality

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Blue fire queue line aims at showing that natural gas is cool, while embedding it in a high tech/futuristic setting, so that you associate methane with the future and see it as something positive.
This gives me a thread idea!

What rides try to teach us a life lesson or influence us in some way?
Be serious or silly.
It could be similar to the effects of the above, or perhaps through the narrative?
37026669555_8fe0953e02_m.jpg

Entertain us.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Ohh, Disney rides love them some morality (unlike the company).

Ummm, Avatar Land rides generally have an environmentally friendly message.
Kilimanjaro Safaris back when it opened had a poachers storyline that resulted in the death of a mother elephant and seeing the carcass. Ya, that didn't last long, but it certainly had a message to send.
Splash Mountain also has the message of appreciating home.
Literally all of EPCOT Center was about the importance of conserving our future and education.
I found that Disneysea rides both showed the benefits but also the dangers of exploration. With Tower of Terror, the recklessness of Harrison Hightower's exploration resulted in his death. With Journey, our exploration of an unknown land results in us finding dangers we weren't equipped for.
It's a Small World has the message of uniting our world ala world peace.
Ya, that's all I got for Disney

However, Six Flags has some amazing messages through their fantastic DC rides.
With Green Lantern, we stand up against evil. Very, very clever and a beautiful message to stand up against evil. (I'm unsure if you get the stand up section though. The Six Flags Great Adventure version is a stand up roller coaster. It's very clever)
I actually dislike the mixed messages of the Justice League rides. For some reason, we are fighting Lex Luthor despite him obviously being the hero. If this takes place in the DC Cinematic Universe that is. Both Superman and Batman in the films are murderers. Batman killed dozens of henchmen. Superman killed millions of people when he destroyed Metropolis in Man of Steel. I personally was cheering on Lex Luthor, a smart billionaire businessman who could make Metropolis great again, who is looking for his city's best interest. He personally saw the death and destruction caused by these heroes. One might say that superheroes are needed to fight supervillains. I argue these superheroes created these supervillains. Before these "heroes" arrived, cities had some crime, yes, but they didn't have constant occurrences of villains terrorizing millions. Therefore, I envision Lex Luthor as the true hero of the DC Universe. I do hope one day he could win, but, alas, Six Flags continues to send odd messages letting the villains Batman and Superman win.
With The Joker rides, they, um,

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I was actually thinking about this the other day while making a Planet Coaster ride with a message behind it!

Herschend has been guilty of this a few times in recent years. Wild Eagle was presented more as an inspirational experience than a death-defying thrill machine. FireChaser Express was themed to commemorate the heroism of community firefighters, right down to the monument near the ride. Honestly that's way more fitting for that park than ever after the wildfires last November. Time Traveler's story video carries an extremely clear message with it to "dream big, do good." Probably their biggest and most blatant message on a ride is Outlaw Run though. They spent a lot of time making sure that it focused on the protagonists of the ride's backstory and really emphasize the whole "the good guys always win" message.

Blackstone does this too to an extent with their conservation efforts, especially in the wake (no pun intended) of PETA's protesting the parks to tear down Shamu Stadium and replace it with Shamu Sushi Bar.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Not just Pandora, but all of Animal Kingdom is very, very pro environment... Which might seem like an obvious comment to make, but even the attraction narratives tell the overarching narrative of humans abusing the planet and the repercussions of doing so.

Even Dinoland USA... It is literally themed to an endangered species of theme park - the American roadside park. It's terrible and I hate it because it's a mundane environment and hyperreal theming doesn't ever work :p , but it is desperately trying to be relevant in spite of the obvious reality that it is just a cheap filler that has overstayed its welcome. Obviously, there is a more literal theme there, that it is a local tourism cash-in because of the dino Institute nearby. But that too is a comment about how humans treat the world.

I don't really have anything more to add, the examples are few and far between, but I think Jarrett's post above spot on regarding Herschend. Wild Eagle in particular I think is really quite clever.