What's new

Rides spoiled by trim brakes.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Going into generic territory here, but those wild mouse coasters, like Rattlesnake at Chessington. Yes, I know they need to be there (let's face it, all trims need to be there, otherwise they wouldn't be), but I'd love to ride one without trims to see how violent they really are. They're also far too harsh...brace...BRACE!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Mean Streak. I only experienced one trimless ride on it, but that one ride lacked the jackhammering and shuffling that was typically present on the ride. It was even moving fast enough that it threw you around a little bit.

Raging Bull. The layout is good enough where one can tell that it'd be a great ride without the trims, but instead each one bites hard enough that you hang out of the side of your seat in the turns.

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
Mako's trims didn't bother me, and I can't really think of any other rides I've experienced that trims actually ruined the ride. I've done Thirteen once, but I didn't know/notice that there were any trims then.

As for rides that benefit from trims, maybe Boulder Dash? There's a slight trim before the turnaround, you hear it but it doesn't really tug the train. The elements following it are taken at a perfect pace, so maybe without that trim the ride would start to be a little too much.

I think that's an anti-rollback point. You know, in case Boulder Dash stalls. (Before you laugh, it did stall right before the final brakes last week. Cold day, empty train.)

Mack

Mega Poster
Whatever it is, it's absolutely awful. And I still like the ride.

Isn't that the MCBR preceding the helix that approach black-out levels of g-forces even with the full stop? I'm not sure I'd wanna see it blow through those -- pretty sure I'd be blacking out lol.

My vote goes to the Beast at KI.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Isn't that the MCBR preceding the helix that approach black-out levels of g-forces even with the full stop? I'm not sure I'd wanna see it blow through those -- pretty sure I'd be blacking out lol.

My vote goes to the Beast at KI.
I've heard quite a few now speak of Goliath's helix that way, but I haven't been on the ride since I've heard this so I haven't had the chance to pay attention to it. For my memory of the coaster, the whole ride was enjoyable but disappointingly forceless.

I have a similar feeling of cognitive dissonance when I hear people talking about greying out on Millennium Force.

Mack

Mega Poster
I'm with you that it's Millennium Forceless, really, that helix on Goliath is of the one intense extended positive G-forces I can recalled other the Beemer flyer pretzels. Could just be my memory romanticizing those memories. But I'm defo with you people who claiming greying out on MF....uhhhhh..........................when. I'd put MF in one of the least forceful coasters categorie...more graceful than anything else.

I've always heard that the 585 helix on Goliath exposes you to over 4.5gs continuously for 6 seconds. (But I mean has anyone actually verified or measured this) Every time I ride it I know it's coming but I'm like JESUS!

That doesn't mean the total stop doesn't make the ride worse though, it definite interrupts it and is that helix worth stopping the ride, etc. Of course it could also be Six Flags stacking as usual and not on purpose! HAHA. The lift chain on Goliath also generally slows as a form of a trim brake, so you're right that it's not as forceful as it could be. Still an awesome ride but could be better. :emoji_smile:

Last edited:

astead04

Roller Poster
What rides out there have been spoiled by these cheeky buggers preventing what would be some awesome airtime or luscious laterals?

Obvious answer from me is Thirteen at Alton Towers, the first drop is completely ruined by the heavy trims and without these the woodland race section would be much much better.

Mako looks to be heavily trimmed but it also seemingly gets rave reviews which leads to another question, in your opinion have trims ever benefited a ride?
I saw this and Thirteen was the first coaster that came to mind.