What's new

Ride you have been on that's been gone the longest

Howie

Donkey in a hat
caffeine_demon said:
Other rides wise - I also have cresta run and 1001 nights from alton,

gavin said:
If it's rides, it'll be 1001 nights and/or Gravitron from Alton. Would've done them in the early '90s but not sure when they closed.

There's also that parachute tower at Drayton around the same time.

There's a good chance of something at Blackpool, but can't remember anything specifically other than the old fun house. I may have done the old Huss Rainbow, but can't remember.

Gravitron was 1990 - 1992
1001 Nights was 1985 - 1994
Alpine Bobsled closed in 1986

But I think I win with the Magic Carpet, which was only there for 2 seasons and closed in 1985 :p

note* When I say the Magic Carpet, I mean the Magic Carpet, not the 1001 Nights. The Magic Carpet was a different ride (very much like Thorpe's Quantum), but after its removal almost everyone continued to call the 1001 Nights the Magic Carpet and it annoyed the sh*t out of me for years.
For those interested, I do believe the actual Magic Carpet from Alton Towers still operates at M&D's to this day, and it still has the Alton Towers plaque clearly visible in the control booth.
True fact!

davidm

Strata Poster
I've ridden Space Boat (1983 season) at Alton - and the original Dinosaurs where Smiler is now (moved to make way for Black Hole in 83/84) - but thats not a ride. Basically anything at Alton in the 80-87 period I'd have ridden. (old huh).

I think I rode Virginia Reel at Blackpool (closed 82), but I'm not confident enough in that to count it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I did the Water Chute at Belle View. Closed in 1977 I think before going to Blackpool. I imagine other rides at Belle View too, but I can't remember, I'm younger than Howie after all... And Lord Morton. Old facts.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

jayjay

Giga Poster
Apparently mine is possibly the first coaster I ever rode - The Runaway Mine Train at Gulliver's Warrington.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
david morton said:
I've ridden Space Boat (1983 season) at Alton - and the original Dinosaurs where Smiler is now (moved to make way for Black Hole in 83/84) - but thats not a ride. Basically anything at Alton in the 80-87 period I'd have ridden. (old huh).

Ok Lord Morton wins that one - not even I'm old enough to have the Space Boat!
I remember the Dinosaurs though, but by the time I'd got there they were lining the route of the Log Flume in the woods.
Sad fact; from my first trip to the Towers in 1984, I think only 2 attractions out of the entire ride line up remain - The Blade (which I still call the Pirate Ship) and Enterprise.
Yeah man. Old facts. :-(

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Howie said:
caffeine_demon said:
Other rides wise - I also have cresta run and 1001 nights from alton,

gavin said:
If it's rides, it'll be 1001 nights and/or Gravitron from Alton. Would've done them in the early '90s but not sure when they closed.

There's also that parachute tower at Drayton around the same time.

There's a good chance of something at Blackpool, but can't remember anything specifically other than the old fun house. I may have done the old Huss Rainbow, but can't remember.

Gravitron was 1990 - 1992
1001 Nights was 1985 - 1994
Alpine Bobsled closed in 1986

But I think I win with the Magic Carpet, which was only there for 2 seasons and closed in 1985

note* When I say the Magic Carpet, I mean the Magic Carpet, not the 1001 Nights. The Magic Carpet was a different ride (very much like Thorpe's Quantum), but after its removal almost everyone continued to call the 1001 Nights the Magic Carpet and it annoyed the sh*t out of me for years.
For those interested, I do believe the actual Magic Carpet from Alton Towers still operates at M&D's to this day, and it still has the Alton Towers plaque clearly visible in the control booth.
True fact!
My first visit to AT was when I was 12, which was in '92, so must've just caught Gravitron in its last season.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Nothing I've ridden has been gone that long. At Blackpool in 1995, I rode the Water Chute (removed 2003), the original Space Invader (rethemed 2003 and removed 2008) and the Tagada before it was enclosed (no idea).

Probably rode some kids stuff at Dreamland when it was Bembom Brothers too but I can't remember so I don't count it. Sure there's a photo somewhere of me on the ladybird cred but damned if I can find it. That closed in 1998.

Also probably rode Space Chase at Adventure Island when it was Peter Pan's. That went some time in the 90s. Again, I don't count from back then as I can't remember, but I've since ridden it on the travelling circuit anyway, so who cares.

Olaf

Mega Poster
Pegasus which was gone in 2009, replaced by Joris

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

bazpa

Hyper Poster
Virginia Reel at Blackpool

No I'm wrong, the Reel closed in 1982 so it would be the wooden coaster at Cleethorpes Wonderland which closed in 1974

Last edited:

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I've got quite an obscure one, Bush Beast at Wonderland Sydney which closed with the park in 2004.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Black Hole at Alton followed by Python at Busch Gardens Tampa. Probably have some that I don't remember doing but they're not in my count.

Will

Strata Poster
Black Hole at Alton closed at the beginning of 2005.
If my memory serves me, everything at American Adventure and Rhyl Ocean Beach closed at the end of 2005, so those aren't far behind.

Unless we can count rethemed rides, in which case, it's Around the World in 80 Days at Alton, which closed at the end of 1993 to become Toyland Tours (and then awful Charlie and the SBNO factory).

Intricks

Strata Poster
Would Steel Phantom count? If not, then most likely Villain/Dipper/Raging Wolf Bobs/Double Loop from Geauga Lake.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Steel Phantom would count, especially after they took down the first drop and hill for additional refurb.

Sandman

Giga Poster
The Frontierland creds I luckily grabbed when I was a kid. They all closed in 1999.

Other than that,

Cyclone, Pleasureland Southport (closed 2006)
Corkscrew, Alton Towers (closed 2008)

ChiRunner

Roller Poster
I'm sure I have some food answers but too young to remember that I rode them at the time. But the one I know for sure is Shockwave at SF G-Am (closed 2002).

EDIT: I believe the real answer is something at the defunct Broadwalk and Baseball (closed 1990) but I would have been 6 or 7 when I was there so I have no idea what rides I was on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk