What's new

"Restraint failure" accident on Ben10, Drayton Manor

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just had a call asking for permission to use the CF Ben10 POV on BBC East Midlands Today this evening.

Apparently a mother visited the the BBC East Midlands studios yesterday and told them that her son's lap bar came loose half way through the ride. The child is ok. His friends held him in for the rest of the ride. This happened yesterday (Thursday 25th October).

Although it's not impossible for a lap bar to fail mid-ride, I'm pretty convinced that it's extremely unlikely for it to fail. I reiterated several times to the BBC that the likelihood of this happening is very rare and suggested that the bars have fail safes.

That's all the information I know. Raybould was at the park today, I called him a few mins ago and he confirmed that Ben 10 has been operating all day today without a problem.

I can't find any news articles on it (only looked briefly) so if you want to know more, watch BBC East Midlands Today this evening at 18:30. If you don't live in the East Midlands region but have Sky, it's channel 960. If you don't live in the UK or have Sky...meh. Look out for the CF POV!

And remember, you saw it here first!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxYrTtlT0v4[/youtube]

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Re: "Restraint failure" accident on Ben10, Drayton Manor

There was a row closed off. But operating perfectly fine =]

posting from somewhere in the world...

davidm

Strata Poster
LEAD STORY on the news! ;-)

CF video used as well.

Park replaced the seat, "no fault" - all according to the news report.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Yeah just saw it, wasn't sure if they had permission, but was just pointed to this topic by Nic. Made a bit of a big deal out of something which probably wasn't a massive deal, but that's the media for you.

Best babe on BBC local news is the fit bird who occasionally does the weather for the London news section. Look East is the best in terms of news quality in my opinion.

Nic

Strata Poster
Georgie, the weather girl on BBC South East who covers for the dull blonde one is my personal fave at the moment.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Stupid mare. Nothing happened, no one was harmed, yet she still felt the need to actually visit the bloody news studios.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
After watching the news segment, it appears that the restraint wasn't initially locked, the mother noticed it, a ride op pushed it down and it came lose midride. Worrying. At least the park has fixed it.

Also, from a personal point of view, it was lovely to see the CF watermark splashed across the screen.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Meh, it's not like anything would have happened. Restraints on kiddy rides only serve the function of stopping kids being morons and climbing out. It's not like they were about to get thrown from the ride because of the extreme airtime.

But yeah, shouldn't happen, yadda yadda yadda. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.