What's new

Resistance to motion sickness on rides

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Ive had a lot of older family members say to me how when they were young they liked rides and coasters but now they don't because it makes them feel sick but I just thought "it'll never happen to me because Im an MLG badass".

At 18 Im hardly getting old but Ive noticed my resistance to motion sickness on rides and coasters has dropped as I found at PA. When I was a young boy I used to love spinning tea cup rides as fast as I could and I always felt fine after but when I tried at PA, I felt horrible. I had to have a sit down and a drink of water.

I was on my own for a bit one morning at PA and the express queue for Dragon Khan was completely dead so I decided to whore it. I had to throw in the towel after 4 rides when I initially thought I'd make it to at least 6 or 7!

Do any of you feel ill after a ride or two on an intense coaster or spin & spew ride? Have you found that you feel sick faster than when you were younger? Tbh if I get to Epcot again I think I might chicken out of the 'orange' version of Mission Space, apparently 1/3 of riders feel sick and the thought of that happening in a super tight and enclosed space isn't nice!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^Mission Space isn't too bad. I wouldn't think you'd chicken out of it.

I think it's my youth, but I have no problem to any type of ride. Even the kiddie teacups you can spin 500 mph I'm fine with.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Dar

Hyper Poster
I'm the same I think. I used to be fine with spinning rides but now Eagle's Claw at Lightwater puts me moments away from chundering. Teacups are totally off limits, as are pirate ships!

Strangely, stuff like Top spins and scans don't bother me.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, I get quite sick now and avoid all spin and spews like the plague.

Maybe get some motion sickness pills is my advice.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm starting to get this too, but like most it's just the spinny flats. I usually will try to focus on the main shaft of the ride, or another part which is going in the same motion as myself if i start feeling unwell.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A lot of it is mind over matter. As I've got older, I too have found spin & spew rides increasingly insufferable. When I was a younger, I don't have a problem so I put it down to an age thing.

However, recently I've started to ride some spin and spew rides again and I find by preparing properly for it, the motion sickness effects are less.

My tips are:
* Avoid riding soon after eating. Always ride about an hour after eating.
* Go Zen. Don't think that the ride will make you sick. Think about nothing, or if you do think about something, think that the ride will only last about 90 seconds.
* Don't close your eyes. Knowing where you are will help. Fixate on something small and irrelevant. Look at a light bulb, the mechanical join or some other small detail but never look at the horizon!
* Embrace the force. When I felt my face being to stretch apart on Time Machine at Adventure Island, I thought to myself "wow, this is intense, where else would I get such a sensation?!"
* Rest immediately after riding. Go and sit on a bench, have a gulp of water (maybe a cigarette if that's you thing) and sit there for a few mins whilst your body gets back to normal.

So yeah, mind over matter.

John Knotts

Mega Poster
As the body ages, it gets more sensitive to coasters in general, made worse by the foods you eat and drink before riding. Avoid anything acidic like orange juice or coffee before riding. I've learned the hard way. lol

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I was in my mid-teens when I first noticed some spin and spews made me a little queasy. Before that point I could ride anything fine but since then I've got steadily worse and now there's quite a lot of rides I tend to avoid.

Backwards coasters are one of the worst offenders for me. My last ride on X at Thorpe before it was turned forwards was awful as was Euro-mir when the car locks facing backwards. The latter left me feeling ill for hours afterwards.

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
I don't get motion sickness, but I have developed vertigo from heights. I have to have a couple of alcoholic beverages before I ride anything really tall. :drinking: The Drop Zone at Kings Dominion was the worst. The drop doesn't bother me at all but the ascension does. Same with lift hills. I can't stand them.