What's new

Removal of G-Force at Drayton Manor (2005 - 2018)

Themeparknewbie01

Roller Poster
It's up for sale, must have been dismantled rather than torn down:

Still not sold? In the current theme park climate I can see it sitting around and rusting aka Knightmare

02smithm1

Roller Poster
It seriously sucks that G-Force has gone. Drayton Manor is the nearest theme park to me and I'm gutted that it is either A) slowly on it's way to permanent closure or B) on it's way to becoming a big kids park (so we can say goodbye to Shockwave soon). For the money, I'd rather make the drive to Alton Towers.

I know it wasn't the best coaster, but it really was the lack of theming that ruined it. Was basically a tin shed and a G-Force sign out the front... that was literally it!

It's all hypothetical... but I would think that (unless the ride really is more expensive to run than it's worth), all it needs it someone to buy it and actually give it some proper theming and it could be a seriously good addition to a park. I didn't find it as uncomfortable as people seem to say (see: Green Lantern at Six Flags Magic Mountain for the definition of uncomfortable/torture).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The lack of theming was far, far from the problem with the thing. It wasn't the same for everyone, but a lot of people found it incredibly painful to ride.

For me, the restraint fell in such a way that I was suspended from my ribcage, and it was f**king horrendous.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

The lack of theming was far, far from the problem with the thing. It wasn't the same for everyone, but a lot of people found it incredibly painful to ride.

For me, the restraint fell in such a way that I was suspended from my ribcage, and it was f**king horrendous.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
Yh I agree. Looking ahead to the site's future, I'm confused about the replacement and also still asking questions

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Yeah, I have to agree that X-Car trains are cancerous. Not only couldn't I breathe on the brake run but I felt like I was gonna fall out on the cursed lift hill. Really hope GKC Timberliners are more comfy.

bdrizzyb

Roller Poster
Theming wise, I've always seen Drayton manor as more of an amusement park than a theme park (with individual themes on certain rides/Thomas land) so I don't think no theming was the issue. the ride was a prototype and a cheap gimmick, hate too say it that the pinfari looper they had previous was probably better. all we can hope for is something like a raptor but it is looking unlikely. Its a shame as at one point Drayton was major competition to Alton now it seems to be going the same way as American adventure did, removing the thrill rides and narrowing there target market audience, leading too lower visitor numbers. lets hope that maybe the park gets bought out one day as something to rival merlin parks with its central England location.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
No money.

At this point I honestly don't care that g-force was removed and I don't expect them to replace it with anything either. The park has had a really tough few years and I'm worried about their survival. I really hope they can make it through these tough times. The last thing I'd want is another family-owned park in the UK going into administration because of current times.

I looked online to see if I could purchase an annual pass or something, just to give them a small financial boost (I know it's not much but it's the best I can do), however unfortunately they seemed to have turn their ticketing platform off. I really hope the park are financially stable enough to get through these tough times, especially as they have animals to feed and care for which also need to be looked after and treated as normal.

Edit:

Just replying to @bdrizzyb above,

I'd hate the park to be bought out by a corporate company. I think the family are doing a great job but have been hit with problem after problem over the last couple of years which is now really starting to take it's toll. By removing the thrill rides, yes they are narrowing their ride offering and their target market, however their main pull to the park is family visiting Thomas land. Therefore, if they can remove and sell the thrill rides and gain some beneficial cash, then they can hopefully expand their offering to families in future years to come and have a really strong family park. To own a good theme park, you don't need to have thrill rides. You just need to have a park which works well for your target market and generate ticket sales through marketing to that particular target group.

At the bottom of this thread on a great forum called Drayton Talk (full credit to them), there's pics of markings spotted on G Force's site. I'd highly recommend checking it out!