What's new

RC Racer - Intamin Halfpipe - Walt Disney Studios DLP

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
p23527.jpg

I think it's normal that these newer half pipes go beyond vertical at the top. Comparing them to the older versions, these are definitely different. The old ones have a bit of straight vertical track before the end of the spike.

Gazza

Giga Poster
UC said:
Surf Rider appears to have the same kind of "extended curve" (though it's not a great angle, I could be wrong):

http://www.rcdb.com/3320.htm?p=19898

Honestly, looking at it, I really don't think it's curved much (if any) more than the others...I think the height is throwing off the perception, and it almost appears as if it has a longer "station area" (the shallow, flat-ish track) than the others...it looks like there's more distance between the two spikes...if so, could it be because of the custom trains?

The larger halfpipe models are much flatter at the bottom....rcdb says this is 25m high, but this looks more like the 27m model to me:
http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/docu/SurfRider.pdf (2nd page)

A

Anonymous

It could be two things as I see it.
Either a netting as an extra safety thing or a "road" surface to "drive"/ride on...

Martyn B

CF Legend
Here's the new TV ad for the New Generation Festival:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqjJMOvRw3w[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend
^Haha, you say that Benin, but apparently this area is going to be full of tress and plants, something very rarely seen at the Studios.

I do agree that the queueline looks cool. I'm still a little off-put by the gigantic Buzz, meh.

marc

CF Legend
Is the car going to spin on the coaster or just go up and down?

The good thing about this area is that it will bring some colour to the park.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Here's a little 'speech' about the Toy Story Playland from one of the Disney Imagineers:

"Thank you Philippe. Well, I’m very excited to tell you a little bit about how our Imagineers designed and are creating Toy Story Playland for you. Like all our attractions, we start with the story. And in this case, our story centers around the toys of Toy Story I and II.

As fans of the films, I’m sure you know that these toys all belong to a young boy named Andy. And when Andy’s away, the Toys come to life magically to interact with one another.

So, we thought “what if Andy had set up his toys in the grass behind his house?” And what if we could shrink down to the size of a toy and meet and play with these toys? That’s the idea behind Toy Story Playland. We’re inviting our guests to become the size of toys and to join in the fun. This rendering was one of our first steps in envisioning what this new land could look and feel like at Walt Disney Studios.

Next, we built an intricate scale model to help us understand the size, the placement and the look of the experiences within the land.

As you can see from this image of the model, everything in Toy Story Playland is giant sized – especially the Buzz Lightyear figure that greets guests at the entrance to the land.

From the scale model, our Imagineers begin to sculpt the real-life giant sized pieces that will make up the Buzz figure.

Here you can see the scale of the Buzz Lightyear figure, with his original creator, Director John Lasseter.

And then we meticulously build each piece of the toy – matching color and designs exactly to the original from the film. There’s only one giant Buzz Lightyear toy in the world like this one! It’s truly one of a kind!

Within the land are three ride experiences for kids of all ages. The first is the “Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop,” based on the green army figures from the Toy Story films.

Our designers envisioned a fun parachute drop experience, where guests will be lifted 25 meters into the air, and then drop and raise up again several times.

In this early sketch, you can see how our designers interpret the classic toys and icons from the film and envision them scaled up to giant size. Here is the “baby monitor” featured in the film.

And now the finished prop in production.

Even the queues for the attractions will be highly themed. Here, guests see Andy’s army toys staged in scenes along the queue.

And here is our production team posing with the full-size toy soldiers for our show.

Another character that seemed a natural for our Playland was Slinky Dog or as he’s known here in France, Zigzag!

We thought Slinky chasing his tail would make a wonderfully charming ride experience.

In the scale model you can see not only the ride, but the Slinky Dog toy box that becomes the covered queue for guests.

John Lasseter actually worked with the team to locate the eyes for the character to make sure they were perfectly placed and scaled.

Our third, and most thrilling ride in Toy Story Playland is based on a very energetic Toy Story character, R.C., the remote-controlled race car!

RC will be racing on a gigantic, classic Hot Wheels race track, just like the one seen in the movie. Only this time, guests will be riding 25 meters up and back in the air!

Here you see the design team sitting in an early mock-up of the custom RC ride vehicle, which will hold 16 guests at a time.

We’re also creating a number of beautiful photo locations, where guests can pose with the classic Toy Story characters. In fact, everything we are designing will be a photo opportunity, because everything in the land will be a toy come to life in a scale you’ve never seen before!

Even the queue of RC Racer is designed after a classic slot-car racetrack! And all of the landscaping and signage and lights – everything in fact – will be scaled to fit with our toy-scale land and/or be designed to look like a toy.

Which means that when Toy Story Playland opens in August of this year, you can finally step into the magical world of the Toy Story and experience a whole new dimension of play with your favorite Toy Story characters…to infinity and beyond as Buzz would say! We hope to see you all there later this summer. Thank you"

marc

CF Legend
Tbh with that train and what it will do I think they have wasted their money and should have just got a Disko as they actually do more.

I am just a bit shocked it will not even spin :( but its still a credit and thats the only way to look at it.

I just watched the videos on Screamscape with regards to the new arrival and the new parade. The new parade seems to be the same as the one that took place this year in the studio park using the cars but with the Pixar lot.

They should have got the Pixar parade from California as that was brill.

I still like the plans for the area so I think its a good thing to add and looking forward to seeing it one day :)

marc

CF Legend
Martyn in the advert it just shows the car going up and down and the design of the car I would say no it wont spin, I do hope I am wrong though. Its not really a big deal but I just think its a bit of a let down if you know what I mean.